PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
4 1/2 inches.

4 1/2 - 5 inches seems to be the most common size of a lot of the 100yo Britwoods I have.

Maybe I prefer more petite pipes and tend to pick them out in preference to their larger siblings.

View attachment 124775
A nice nosewarmer! It seems to have a normal size bowl nonetheless. May you enjoy it for years to come! I have a similar proportioned Castello 11 that behaves no different than a pipe of longer length.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
4 1/2 inches.

4 1/2 - 5 inches seems to be the most common size of a lot of the 100yo Britwoods I have.

Maybe I prefer more petite pipes and tend to pick them out in preference to their larger siblings.

View attachment 124775
These were popular for carrying in a coat pocket. I have a '30's era companion set with full sized bows and short stems.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
These were popular for carrying in a coat pocket. I have a '30's era companion set with full sized bows and short stems.

Yup

I have several of the type. Here's my favorite:

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I own only one Barling, probably not a particularly special pipe on its own merits, but it's a very special pipe for me. This is pipe #1, the first pipe I ever purchased. I bought this Barling Londoner 4805 zulu-ish oval-shanked Dublin at an independent shopping mall tobacco shop in the mid '80s when I began dabbling in pipe smoking after having previously dabbled in clove and RYO cigarettes for a few years. Happily, I recently unearthed it from around 30 years of neglectful storage in the garage. Still looks and smokes great!
20210816_122154.jpg

Last edited:

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Not sure if this counts or not, but this is one of the new Barling pipes. It's the lowest (cheapest) model, a Marylebone Fossil 1820. I love the look of the grain staining, although it certainly isn't the best sandblast I've ever seen. Fairly light, medium sized bowl, drooling looks good... I think it'll be a good one. The box it came in was a little intense, all plush and silky haha.

The only thing that stands out negatively is that it doesn't actually sit as it is intended. The angle on the bottom needs to be slightly sharper, because as it is it needs to rest on the stem. Not a big deal at all, but kind of defeats it's intended purpose.

20220505_155033.jpg

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
How does it sit when loaded?
I haven't had a chance to load it up yet. I'll try when I get home from work. The Barling seems very close to balancing, so it is possible that tobacco will to it (when full).

I picked up a Rattray's Ahoy that has the same problem, but that one won't balance with tobacco. They are both made by the same parent company, so likely a design flaw.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I haven't had a chance to load it up yet. I'll try when I get home from work. The Barling seems very close to balancing, so it is possible that tobacco will to it (when full).

I picked up a Rattray's Ahoy that has the same problem, but that one won't balance with tobacco. They are both made by the same parent company, so likely a design flaw.
Forgot to update this. Loaded makes no difference for either pipes, which is a little disappointing for me. Not a deal breaker by any means, but disappointing nonetheless, as they are pokers

Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr