PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've noticed this in all aspects of retail these days. Want piss-poor advice on how to remodel your house? Ask most of the people at home depot. Yes, there are a few "experts" there, but most of the employees are just rubes who need a paycheck. I don't begrudge them for this, but the fact of the matter is that in most retail establishments, the chance that whomever is helping you actually knows more about the subject at hand than you do seems to be quite small these days.
I like asking someone in target where something is. The kid never knows.. then I show them where it is. I used to work at target. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
B&M in the UK is a discount food and anything else you can think of chain. I can entirely see this being plausible if they sold magazines...
Haha it means Brick and Mortar tobacco shop
I like asking someone in target where something is. The kid never knows.. then I show them where it is. I used to work at target. ?
IGNORE THIS QUOTE I SOMEYIEMS DO THIS AND ITS HARD TO DELETE

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I was a cart attendant, yo. At 17 I had better things to do and stopped going in haha
Hey that's important work man. Even with cart attendants it still amazes me how many ass clowns can't even be bothered to put their damn cart into the corral. There's an open spot...........oh nevermind, it's got a GODDAMN CART IN IT.

When I was a young man I was probably the bane of your existence. We used to put carts on the front of my dodge neon in the middle of the night, accelerate to a high rate of speed, and then brake quickly, sending the carts 35 MPH or so into the curbs. They go like 15 feet in the air, it's awesome. One of them escaping a my bumper and going full rogue into the side of a parked minivan ended that pastime rather quickly.

I was a smart kid.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What Tobacco Stores today need is a Chef Gordon Ramsey
View attachment 68797
Unfortunately the reality is often more like this:

90d.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hey that's important work man. Even with cart attendants it still amazes me how many ass clowns can't even be bothered to put their damn cart into the corral. There's an open spot...........oh nevermind, it's got a GODDAMN CART IN IT.

When I was a young man I was probably the bane of your existence. We used to put carts on the front of my dodge neon in the middle of the night, accelerate to a high rate of speed, and then brake quickly, sending the carts 35 MPH or so into the curbs. They go like 15 feet in the air, it's awesome. One of them escaping a my bumper and going full rogue into the side of a parked minivan ended that pastime rather quickly.

I was a smart kid.
Ha I’d have left them out there. I used to go smoke behind the building as I’d go pick up the carts. I think they began to wonder what I was doing back there so much ?

Reactions: Reggie and kcghost
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No surprise. I cannot tell you how many times I've been in the humidor, in cigar shops, and listen to the Owner or person working there misinform someone inquiring about cigars. At least a 10 - 20 to 1 ratio of hearing someone who really knew their cigars. When I've called around to pipe shops looking for blends or during my travels, I've experienced the same thing when inquiring about quality blends. Fribourg and who? How do you spell that?

If you spend much time in a cigar shop, you'll notice the majority of people walking in the door are not serious smokers like members here. They buy a tin of OTC or a bag of house blend they've been buying forever. They grab a handful of $2 or $3 cigars that take care of their nic needs or their plans to make blunts. Or you see a poser grabbing some Opus X or some other high end cigar with a fancy band to impress their friends. And you'll get the poor schmuck that sits down and tells you about the wonderful "authentic Cuban cigars" he brought back from his last trip to the Bahamas or Cayman Islands.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I asked the guy in town if he could order SWR.. I knew I could get it online, but I wanted to do business with a local store. He sounded excited that I had asked, and asked me to come back next week. I came back, he said he couldn't pull it off. He had ordered some PA instead... Which I bought, even though at the time I didn't really want to.. now I'm glad I did.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
No surprise. I cannot tell you how many times I've been in the humidor, in cigar shops, and listen to the Owner or person working there misinform someone inquiring about cigars. At least a 10 - 20 to 1 ratio of hearing someone who really knew their cigars. When I've called around to pipe shops looking for blends or during my travels, I've experienced the same thing when inquiring about quality blends. Fribourg and who? How do you spell that?

If you spend much time in a cigar shop, you'll notice the majority of people walking in the door are not serious smokers like members here. They buy a tin of OTC or a bag of house blend they've been buying forever. They grab a handful of $2 or $3 cigars that take care of their nic needs or their plans to make blunts. Or you see a poser grabbing some Opus X or some other high end cigar with a fancy band to impress their friends. And you'll get the poor schmuck that sits down and tells you about the wonderful "authentic Cuban cigars" he brought back from his last trip to the Bahamas or Cayman Islands.
I live in a college town and you just described 90% of the trips I take to my local tobacconist.
Next thing, as the guy walks out the door, the shop guy (Who has been in business for 30 years and is quite knowledgeable) turns to me and says "There goes another smartest fucker you'll ever meet! Don't believe it? Just ask the stupid SOB!" or "Damned millennials, can't tell 'em nothin!".
His shop is right downtown, near campus!