SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Funny thing happened... I contacted the 3 closest tobacco shops nearest me and asked if they carried brands like Samuel Gawith, C&D, Sutliff etc... all 3 have never heard of the brands. Ummm... how can you run a tobacco shop and not know these brands? Just weird thats all.
Call them back and ask them if they sell waterpipes. $20 says they say yes. Any takers?

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
Were they pipe tobacco shops? Most "tobacco shops" sell cigarettes, rolling papers, and nudie mags.
They sell a lot of OTC like Captain Black, Amphora, Cherokee, etc.. another tobacco shop only sells their own personal blends. I can understand not knowing every brand out there but to not know the biggest brands on the market? Can you really call yourself a tobaccanist?

They sell a lot of OTC like Captain Black, Amphora, Cherokee, etc.. another tobacco shop only sells their own personal blends. I can understand not knowing every brand out there but to not know the biggest brands on the market? Can you really call yourself a tobaccanist?
The first pipe shop I visited when I started was an old Tinderbox. The octogenarian that owned the store told me that when he bought it, all of the tins of tobacco had went bad, way past the expiration date on the tins, so he tossed them all out. I had just started, so I didn't know enough to laugh at him. But, there is absolutely NO test or requirements for someone to just buy or open a pipe shop. This also explains why shop owners usually have the worst advice for pipe smokers. Hell, the oldest high end pipe shop in my state is owned by a guy who doesn't smoke. He's also a renowned pipemaker also. Go figure.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I went to a place recently that didn't know that Captain Black was pipe tobacco (even though they carried it). They had a tub of it in the section with roll your own stuff. Cigars, cigarrettes and chew are the only things most tobacco stores know any more. Few care about pipe tobacco. No money in it I suppose.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I would bet you $5 that their own "personal blends" are relabeled Sutliff aromatics lol.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The first pipe shop I visited when I started was an old Tinderbox. The octogenarian that owned the store told me that when he bought it, all of the tins of tobacco had went bad, way past the expiration date on the tins, so he tossed them all out. I had just started, so I didn't know enough to laugh at him. But, there is absolutely NO test or requirements for someone to just buy or open a pipe shop. This also explains why shop owners usually have the worst advice for pipe smokers. Hell, the oldest high end pipe shop in my state is owned by a guy who doesn't smoke. He's also a renowned pipemaker also. Go figure.

The one good thing about random no-name tobacco shops is when they do have tins of pipe tobacco, they often have been gathering dust forever. The first time I ever tried Commonwealth Blend was an old tin being neglected on a shelf at a Tinderbox in Florida. Probably had a good 8 years on it when I bought it.

I went to a place recently that didn't know that Captain Black was pipe tobacco (even though they carried it). They had a tub of it in the section with roll your own stuff. Cigars, cigarrettes and chew are the only things most tobacco stores know any more. Few care about pipe tobacco. No money in it I suppose.
I've seen a local cigar shop try to expand out to pipes and tobaccos, and it is not pretty.
They get in about 12 different blends, and then guys come in and say, "awesome, your carrying pipe tobacco. But, you don't have such and such, can you get it for me?"
Then next week when the same guy comes in, "Oh yeh, I'm not paying $25 for a tin of what I specifically asked you to carry for me, you gouger."

The owner looked at me pleadingly, "how many blends do I have to carry to just sell one?"
I told him to tell pipesmokers to fuck off. They are mostly penny pinching rapscallions. Even as a pipesmoker, I wouldn't have the patience to deal with mine our bullshit. Most pipesmokers think that the prices they see online are actual retail prices, so when they mark it up a tad to make a tiny profit, they are insulted by their idiotic customers.

Of all of the businesses in the world, I would never try to run a pipe shop. It's on the bottom of my list alongside human trafficking and feminine hygiene recyclers.

Don't get me wrong... I am thankful someone owns these shops. But, there's no way in hell I would try to cater to us.
Cigar shoppers are a different story. They don't mind shelling out some greenbacks to get just one smoke.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I've noticed this in all aspects of retail these days. Want piss-poor advice on how to remodel your house? Ask most of the people at home depot. Yes, there are a few "experts" there, but most of the employees are just rubes who need a paycheck. I don't begrudge them for this, but the fact of the matter is that in most retail establishments, the chance that whomever is helping you actually knows more about the subject at hand than you do seems to be quite small these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's hard to imagine someone opening a tobacco shop without developing, over time, some knowledge of pipe and tobacco brands. Still, we on Forums live in a specialized bubble. Many inquisitive, curious intelligent people under, say, forty have never seen a pipe smoked. They sure wouldn't know any pipe tobacco brands, much less premium brands. I know nothing about vapes; if I found one, I'd first think it was a flashlight, or maybe some kind of women's makeup. Vapes just aren't present in my world.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I've been smoking a pipe for 27 years and I've traveled a lot. I've only been to one or three brick and mortars where the staff were reasonably proficient with pipes and pipe tobacco.

The next level down is the type of store where they pass you a menu so they don't have to personally learn anything train staff. There's some of those too.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tobacco Shop is still codeword for Doobie Hut in many places. Likely sell all kinds of wonderful glass "imported tobacco" smoking pipes along with rolling papers, incense, clear eyes, and 37 different kinds of energy drinks and potato chips. But no C and D, haha.