PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
28 Days and counting for my shipment from Smoking Pipes. One thing that gets me is that when I click on "Track Shipment", it says:
12/02/2020 3:02 PM LITTLE RIVER SC US•
Activity: Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.

UPS has not received the package yet? Does that mean that it is still lost somewhere at Smoking Pipes?
I really wanted this before Christmas as one of the tins was to be a gift. I really hope that Smoking Pipes will get this figured out and make it right. I don't think the customer should have to be the one chasing down a shipping company to see where it is.

I will let you all know how Smoking Pipes responds to this. For what it's worth, Boswell has had the best shipping I have experienced in this industry so far.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Im in the same boat. I have a tea order going on 12 days. My KBV Festivus took about 10 days but somehow got here. I did join a group buy for Synjeco tobaccos that’s been in transit for awhile, it made it to NY but I’m not getting my hopes up of getting that order any time soon. Eventually everything will get through. I am glad I purchased a pipe about two weeks ago and that was only delayed a few days. Would not have wanted that sitting in a cold warehouse for days or weeks.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
They haven't mailed that one yet.
That's my fear - and inexcusable if true. If it has been shipped and in the hands of UPS or USPS, then I can't blame the retailer, but if it is going on 30 days and they just failed to deliver it to the postal service, then that is a total breakdown of process.
I'm not condemning them yet, but it's not looking good. I've called and emailed and will report back here on a response.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Update: Smoking Pipes opened a UPS inquiry to find the shipment. 8 days later, they said it was officially lost. To compound the bad news, All items except Pirate Kake were now out of stock.
I'm not mad at SP, just frustrated. SP was good to work with and willing to send me a refund or credit my account. I actually just had them fill the order with a few alternative tins.
Let's hope this replacement shipment makes it before Ground Hog Day.

Reactions: smknron

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
"I don't understand how UPS can take possession from an adjoining state, cross my state to another adjoining state then it's delivered by the US postal service 10 days from time product was dropped off with UPS."

Whilst I can't speak about UPS services in the US, I can say the UPS service over here in the UK is pretty poor inasmuch as I am given a tracking number but said tracking number only makes sense when my delivery is nigh on delivered.

By that I mean I am told my package is out for delivery and to expect it before 8pm. That is of no use to me. I only get precise delivery times immediately afore they are on my doorstep!

Regards,

Jay.?
It’s much the same here. ?
UPS and FedEx, unless using the incredibly expensive air delivery, is total shit.

Reactions: shaneireland

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
Update: Smoking Pipes opened a UPS inquiry to find the shipment. 8 days later, they said it was officially lost. To compound the bad news, All items except Pirate Kake were now out of stock.
I'm not mad at SP, just frustrated. SP was good to work with and willing to send me a refund or credit my account. I actually just had them fill the order with a few alternative tins.
That is a bummer and unfortunately, as we can all see, this stuff has been happening a lot more lately. I’ve spoken to many representatives at the various carrier companies and they all say the same thing: volume is up around 60% in recent months and they just weren’t prepared for it. I have a handful of personal packages that I’ve been waiting on for weeks and weeks. One originated in Ohio on December 2nd and didn’t get scanned again until a week ago, when it was scanned in... Ohio. It’s finally arriving tomorrow.

The other thing I wanted to address is that if you see an update like the one above that says something like “USPS is waiting on the package” and it’s stuck there, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t left our facility; it means they’re not scanning as it moves. I’m pretty sure we’ve never had a case where we didn’t get a package out the door within a few days (aside from waiting on out of stock items where we’ve made the customer aware of the delay). An overwhelming majority of orders placed with us go out the door the same day, unless they’re placed late in the day/evening.

And of course, we’re happy to help however we can, though it often means opening claims where we end up jointly waiting on the carriers, to figure out why we’ve been waiting on the carriers...

Out of thousands and thousands of packages that we ship, literally just a few actually end up lost. We really appreciate everyone’s patience with the carriers during these last few months. Let’s hope everything continues to improve now that the holidays have passed.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
I’m actually pretty pissed that this happened to you, now that I’ve been thinking about it.

What were some of the tins that ended up being out of stock when we created the replacement order? Let me know what you missed out on, or any general tobacco preferences of yours. I’m going to send you something from my cellar.

Anyone else that’s had this happen recently, just let me know.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Things happen, it's how a company responds that makes a difference. Eryn (SP's customer service) was great. She was very responsive to emails and proactive in helping out. This was my first order from you all and Eryn ensured I will be a repeat customer.
I'll send you a PM Shane, but no need to dip into your cellar. By the way, Shane is the name of my second son.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
Things happen, it's how a company responds that makes a difference. Eryn (SP's customer service) was great. She was very responsive to emails and proactive in helping out. This was my first order from you all and Eryn ensured I will be a repeat customer.
I'll send you a PM Shane, but no need to dip into your cellar. By the way, Shane is the name of my second son.
I’m really glad to hear that Eryn was helpful! She’s great and we’re lucky to have her on the team.

But I’m going to have to insist that you smoke something aged, on me. This was your first order! I can’t even begin to convey how upset it makes me that the general shipping madness of late screwed that up. Plus, having a good stash is no fun at all if you can’t share ?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
It the same everywhere.I had a package posted in the UK 8 December and it tracked to the local sorting office near where it was posted and then nothing.
10 days later it arrived back at the senders address without its barcode label.I was fortunate the sender put his address on the parcel.He immediately resent it and it reached the UK outward office 22nd December,since then no updates.
The parcel contains a 100 year old watch and cant easily be replaced.
It is probably been sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be sorted.It was sent parcelforce global prioroty which normally guarantees 6-7 days delivery time,but due to the virus they have suspended the guarantee so no refunds given.
To compound the situation due to the delay and UK leaving Europe I will now likely get to pay import duties of around 250 Euros which if the watch had arrived before 1st Jan I would not(but thats another discussion)

• Wow
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a stupid question...If a person pays for Priority Shipping and it doesn’t make it to the destination on the expected delivery date, do you get a refund or can you get a refund or is it too much trouble to deal with and you just eat it? This is the first year that delivery has been this horrible or I didn’t mail much in the past. LOL

No - you have to pay for Priority Express, well that was pre-Covid. I don't know if USPS is even honoring that, I suspect they are not.

Priority for a small, pipe sized package is $8 Priority. Priority Express is $26. I can't imagine anyone choosing that option these days.

I ship probably 100+ packages every year, and use the USPS app to track each one (and about the same incoming).
I live an hour from Baltimore/DC. All of my incoming/outgoing packages are getting stuck for weeks at DC/Baltimore regional faculties.

I have noticed recently that you can pay for "Premium Tracking". I also can't imagine anyone choosing that option these days!

Currently, I have six items that were sent prior to 12/15, all still awaiting delivery to me and stuck in facilties around DC/Baltimore.

It doesn't seem to matter if I use 1st Class or Priority, speed and delay issues are the same

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
So
No - you have to pay for Priority Express, well that was pre-Covid. I don't know if USPS is even honoring that, I suspect they are not.

Priority for a small, pipe sized package is $8 Priority. Priority Express is $26. I can't imagine anyone choosing that option these days.

I ship probably 100+ packages every year, and use the USPS app to track each one (and about the same incoming).
I live an hour from Baltimore/DC. All of my incoming/outgoing packages are getting stuck for weeks at DC/Baltimore regional faculties.

I have noticed recently that you can pay for "Premium Tracking". I also can't imagine anyone choosing that option these days!

Currently, I have six items that were sent prior to 12/15, all still awaiting delivery to me and stuck in facilties around DC/Baltimore.

It doesn't seem to matter if I use 1st Class or Priority, speed and delay issues are the same
Some time ago, earlier on in the pandemic, both UPS and USPS told us that they couldn’t guarantee on-time delivery, even if one was to pay for Priority Express, Next Day Air, etc. And they’ve always pushed back on lost packages unless you spring for insurance, and even then it’s not easy or always possible to recover the full value.

I very much appreciate how hard the employees of these carriers work, especially during the pandemic and this most recent holiday season, but it’s never been super straightforward trying to hold the organizations themselves accountable. But again, cases of truly lost packages are extremely rare, even if delays have been much more prevalent this last year.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
So

Some time ago, earlier on in the pandemic, both UPS and USPS told us that they couldn’t guarantee on-time delivery, even if one was to pay for Priority Express, Next Day Air, etc. And they’ve always pushed back on lost packages unless you spring for insurance, and even then it’s not easy or always possible to recover the full value.

I very much appreciate how hard the employees of these carriers work, especially during the pandemic and this most recent holiday season, but it’s never been super straightforward trying to hold the organizations themselves accountable. But again, cases of truly lost packages are extremely rare, even if delays have been much more prevalent this last year.

I'm trying to order parts for my MGB suspension rebuild and yep, nothing is in stock, everything is in back order or delivery date unknown. This issue has effected every industry.
And, I learned a couple of years ago, trying to reverse an insurance decision is impossible. I made three disputes on one, taking it up the food chain on each occasion. I even had my US Senator communicate on my behalf, the USPS could have cared less. It feels like they are accountable to no one.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

There are many more rumors than truth about the post office.
interesting article, but I can't take it as unbiased, nor completely factual for two reasons. The organization behind the article has an agenda that it's always pushing, but more to the point, the article doesn't quote sources for the statements made, which leaves this another opinion piece. A legitimate fact check includes links to all source materials so that the facts presented can be vetted.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And yet, they have magically shit out a vaccine that will fix anything after a mere 8 months...

And it totally works.

And you have to get it.
That's true as long as you don't factor in all of the research and testing that was begun under the Bush administration, continued under the Obama administration, only to be shut down by the current administration. So there's about 10 years of research and development behind the 8 months. Moderna had their vaccine ready in March. They couldn't do anything with it until they got funding to take it through the testing stages.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I just contacted smokingpipes about an order that’s been out in the wilds for a month now. It arrived in Cleveland (about 35 miles from me) then sat for two weeks-ok, I get it, no problem-then it went to Grand Rapids, Michigan (WTF, mate?). Now it’s been “In Transit” since the 2nd. I get why USPS is delayed and I’m sympathetic...but it’s ~$80 that I spent and I want my ODF. I have every confidence in SPC, though. Fantastic company.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In DC/Baltimore, those regional centers are so overloaded and understaffed,packages to there and just sit, USPS sends them to another regional facility to clear the overload, but it just isn't working.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
I just contacted smokingpipes about an order that’s been out in the wilds for a month now. It arrived in Cleveland (about 35 miles from me) then sat for two weeks-ok, I get it, no problem-then it went to Grand Rapids, Michigan (WTF, mate?). Now it’s been “In Transit” since the 2nd. I get why USPS is delayed and I’m sympathetic...but it’s ~$80 that I spent and I want my ODF. I have every confidence in SPC, though. Fantastic company.
??????
Another example of inexplicable silliness.
Shoot me a DM, please. I’ve got something for you.