PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Amazon a clear winner? NOT! I've had three items I've ordered since the end of November get "Lost in Transit." The first was an item marked as shipped using Fedex, but Fedex never received it. The other two items Amazon shipped using USPS and in both cases the tracking showed "In-Transit" to a USPS facility and both times neither item was received by USPS.

Don't hold USPS unaccountable either. I've had several packages I've shipped by USPS - I hand delivered the packages to the local Post Office - and they disappeared into the Informed Delivery tracking system. Two of the packages - shipped Priority Mail 2-Day Delivery - took over 7 working days to arrive. One is still missing after a week. A package coming to me also got stuck in New Orleans, about 28 miles from where I live, for four days.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Amazon a clear winner? NOT! I've had three items I've ordered since the end of November get "Lost in Transit." The first was an item marked as shipped using Fedex, but Fedex never received it. The other two items Amazon shipped using USPS and in both cases the tracking showed "In-Transit" to a USPS facility and both times neither item was received by USPS.

Don't hold USPS unaccountable either. I've had several packages I've shipped by USPS - I hand delivered the packages to the local Post Office - and they disappeared into the Informed Delivery tracking system. Two of the packages - shipped Priority Mail 2-Day Delivery - took over 7 working days to arrive. One is still missing after a week. A package coming to me also got stuck in New Orleans, about 28 miles from where I live, for four days.

I thought you made the toys..

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
False. I am not aware of coronavirii that irregularly produce lasting effects on varying organs (such as the kidneys and the heart) long after the infection has subsided.
You're referring to "Long Haulers" whose symptoms linger for months, or who seem to have a full recovery only to become sick again a month or so later. I was shocked to read that it's an estimated 10% of all cases, across all ages, regardless of severity of initial symptoms. Scarring of the heart, lungs, and other organs and it's not yet known if these effects are permanent.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
You're referring to "Long Haulers" whose symptoms linger for months, or who seem to have a full recovery only to become sick again a month or so later. I was shocked to read that it's an estimated 10% of all cases, across all ages, regardless of severity of initial symptoms. Scarring of the heart, lungs, and other organs and it's not yet known if these effects are permanent.
Had not heard that term, but, yes. Among the in-laws is an epidemiologist who is still working towards her doctorate, but already gainfully employed in the field. She said the ability of this virus to indiscriminately attack varying organs is what's so befuddling about this particular bug. Apparently, the mortality and respiratory issues are to be expected, but the lasting effects that are focused on the brain, kidneys, etc are the mystery that has virologists on edge.

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
This season seems to be the worst for these kinds of delays... FedEx and UPS have done me right so far. USPS on the other hand... several packages disappeared from tracking... show up 2-3 weeks later than the first ETA with no warning. Pretty crazy out there with holiday volumes + managing COVID, I guess.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I wouldn't be surprised if this can happen with flu and other viruses alike - It's probably more common than these newly appointed 'epidemiologists-as-all knowing' characters have mentioned. It was probably never studied with the same vigor.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC

Yes, so much this...

Especially USPS.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wouldn't be surprised if this can happen with flu and other viruses alike - It's probably more common than these newly appointed 'epidemiologists-as-all knowing' characters have mentioned. It was probably never studied with the same vigor.
Possibly, but the prevailing view is that this Coronavirus is presenting something altogether new in the scope of affiictions it can cause, more of which are being discovered as time passes. The initial finding on organ damage goes back at least to May when autopsy reports were starting to be collected and examined.
My niece is a neurosurgeon to is taking a break from practice to do research at Stanford. A number of her colleagues are epidemiologists and virologists, many with decades of research behind them and they find this one surprising and being researchers, fascinating.

Back to the topic of this thread, one of my friends found out that the USPS distribution center in his town had been shut down due to an outbreak of Covid-19. So no mail was getting handled for a week.
This year has seen an enormous growth in mail order activity due to the pandemic that was overwhelming the newly reduced mail system, and the huge increase of Holiday related mail has just added to the breakdown.

• Wow

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Possibly, but the prevailing view is that this Coronavirus is presenting something altogether new in the scope of affiictions it can cause, more of which are being discovered as time passes. The initial finding on organ damage goes back at least to May when autopsy reports were starting to be collected and examined.
My niece is a neurosurgeon to is taking a break from practice to do research at Stanford. A number of her colleagues are epidemiologists and virologists, many with decades of research behind them and they find this one surprising and being researchers, fascinating.

Back to the topic of this thread, one of my friends found out that the USPS distribution center in his town had been shut down due to an outbreak of Covid-19. So no mail was getting handled for a week.
This year has seen an enormous growth in mail order activity due to the pandemic that was overwhelming the newly reduced mail system, and the huge increase of Holiday related mail has just added to the breakdown.
Didn't realize it was that bad

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Had not heard that term, but, yes. Among the in-laws is an epidemiologist who is still working towards her doctorate, but already gainfully employed in the field. She said the ability of this virus to indiscriminately attack varying organs is what's so befuddling about this particular bug. Apparently, the mortality and respiratory issues are to be expected, but the lasting effects that are focused on the brain, kidneys, etc are the mystery that has virologists on edge.

And yet, they have magically shit out a vaccine that will fix anything after a mere 8 months...

And it totally works.

And you have to get it.

Coming from the Army, the same one that marched Soldiers into an A-bomb, fed them speed to fight in 'Nam, and gave them a similarly rapidly developed coctail to combat possible chemical warfare during Desert Storm that led to the Gulf War Syndrome, pardon me if I am not super excited to line up for help from the gov't or big pharma.

Also, in before the lock. lol

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
And yet, they have magically shit out a vaccine that will fix anything after a mere 8 months...

And it totally works.

And you have to get it.

Coming from the Army, the same one that marched Soldiers into an A-bomb, fed them speed to fight in 'Nam, and gave them a similarly rapidly developed coctail to combat possible chemical warfare during Desert Storm that led to the Gulf War Syndrome, pardon me if I am not super excited to line up for help from the gov't or big pharma.

Also, in before the lock. lol
Yep, and to top it off now the Mainstream Media is so concerned with the public's distrust and concern - they are adivising to keep in mind the "overall adverse reactions to the backdrop of overall success - heart attacks, allergic reactions leading to death etc..." - "they will happen regardless" - oh brother, great this is the same stuff they were telling us behind the reasons of shutting down only in reverse. cray

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I e been waiting for a tobacco order from SP.com for over two weeks now. Tracking dtill.sayd package received at the post office. Doesn't look like it has moved since then.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The one package that I shipped via USPS to a fellow pipe smoker in South Carolina 10 days ago has finally arrived in South Carolina. Not delivered, but at least it is in the state. It was mostly toys for his 10 month old daughter but now she probably won't get it before Christmas.

I found it interesting that after I filed a complaint on usps.com and accused USPS of having thieving employees at the New Orleans Origin Facility, that the package miraculously reappeared.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
I have a stupid question...If a person pays for Priority Shipping and it doesn’t make it to the destination on the expected delivery date, do you get a refund or can you get a refund or is it too much trouble to deal with and you just eat it? This is the first year that delivery has been this horrible or I didn’t mail much in the past. LOL

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have a stupid question...If a person pays for Priority Shipping and it doesn’t make it to the destination on the expected delivery date, do you get a refund or can you get a refund or is it too much trouble to deal with and you just eat it? This is the first year that delivery has been this horrible or I didn’t mail much in the past. LOL
I read somewhere that the business you purchased from will give you credit on your next order.