PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I have been using the oxyclean/ magic eraser method to remove oxidation, which leaves a not very shiny matte sort of finish to the stem. I would like to get some shine / coating on the stem to protect it.

Iirc i used to use a carnuba wax compound and briar pipe wipe, which isnt made any longer i dont think, but what do you all recommend for shining up a vulcanite stem and giving it some protective coating after doing the oxyclean/ magic eraser routine?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Some folks use Barkeeper's Friend. Others use toothpaste. Still others us a combination of techniques. Generally I use micromesh pads to get a high gloss surface and coat with Halcyon or Paragon wax. When the stem area around the bite zone begins to dull I'll use some Simichrome metal polish to revive the gloss, and rewax.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Yep, seen it. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. The vulcanite is just heating up with no effect on the oxidation.

Reactions: sablebrush52

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, seen it. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. The vulcanite is just heating up with no effect on the oxidation.
I've not had any success using a lighter to remove oxidation.

As dmcmtk points out, there's no substitute for removing oxidation via increasingly higher grades of wet sand paper. I go up to 2,000, then 8,000 and 12,000 grade micromesh. Then buff with White Diamond and then with Meguiars plastic polish.

Remember - "Polishing" is removing scratches. The less scratches, the better the shine (and on a pipe, the oxidation has to be removed). Each grade of sandpaper leaves larger scratches that have to be removed. 12,000 grade micromesh removes scratches not visible to the naked eye, but you must go thru the paper progress to get there.

Any wax product will not polish, only protect.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What I’m saying is that is way past in grit where pipemakers go when they originally made the stem. So I don’t understand going up that high in grit before polishing? Like where did this idea come from?

So I don’t understand going up that high in grit before polishing? Like where did this idea come from?
The idea comes from removing as little material as possible overall. Using micro mesh or some other sanding product in variation from low to high only ever removes as much material as gets gouged in the lower grit beginning. If you skip all of this and jump to the polish, you have to hold the stem for longer under the wheel, which deforms the original shaping of the stem... sure, the amount is still small, but enough so that after a few polishes like this, the stem is no longer true to the maker's intent.

When you do most of the sanding up to a high polish by hand, you are more able to make sure that you keep the removal of material consistent, then just hitting it briefly with the polishing wheel gives you more control and consistency.

But, it's your pipe... feel free to do what you want. No one is telling someone else what to do, but merely reporting what they do.

If someone wants to polish their pipes with gerbil droppings, I say go ahead... but please post pictures for our entertainment. puffy

Me, I just try to hit my stems briefly with a polishing cloth before racking them to prevent ever having to do very many of these more evasive techniques. YMMV

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm noticing that after final buff on the wheel with white diamond and even more with Meguriar plastic polish there is are still perceptible mico scatches left on the stem,but this is only when observing through the magnifying glass now I wonder how one can get them to the factory-like luster with total zero scratches on the surface, I have on hand brown,blue, white,(creme color) buffing bars, cotton wheels both stitched and unstitched, I have Meguriar plastic polishes, microcrystal waxes , Halicon&Paragon waxes, Hard Carnaubas , I'd think this would be enough,,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.