PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That only works for me (paper towel) with 91% iso on it. Then when I scrub the oxidation comes off. Then there is minimal (only the deepest) left to deal with.

as for the micro mesh, I guess I get it but you’re still going to have to remove the same amount of material to get past the oxidation. Just different ways to do it.

Reactions: whsergent

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I think it’ll die a slow(ish) death on YouTube. I know there are people working fast to replace it, but it’s a reset of sorts in the industry. Like the Big Bell monopoly break-up, many fiefdoms grow like mushrooms. ??‍♂️

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As an intermediate step, how about a photo of the stem after a short rub down with just mineral oil? Maybe a rim scrubbing and the same?
I quit using oil altogether. Just makes a brown stem darker brown. Without removing the oxidation it will just spread. The rim will get cleaned with a wet paper towel and buffed with a dry one like this one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah! Thank you. It turns a very badly oxidized stem into an oxidized stem.

I've found that lightly oxidized stem can be treated thus, with good results. [See my photos upthread.]

Now, they will not be the shiniest, nor the blackest, but are just fine for many who don't need the ultimate in stem presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.