Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I also use flame to remove oxidation, only I use a candle flame instead of a Bic. It seems to burn a little less hot, and is easier to control because it leaves both hands free. I was taught this by another individual - basically you pass the oxidized area through the flame, back and forth, not lingering long enough to allow the vulcanite to bubble(which is pretty fast, just long enough to see the flame dip). I had to use a couple estates I didn't care much for the first time I tried this to figure out the speed I needed to move. After about 10 or 15 passes through the flame, wipe with a damp paper towel to remove the soot. Keep doing this until the stem is black. It really cut a lot of time off of my restores that I had previously spent sanding with micromesh.

It is worth noting that this method will lift out any chatter or impressions in vulcanite. This includes stamped logos/nomenclature, and pressed in dots, spades, clovers. etc. You should take care around these, as I have accidentally removed some stamped in logos on stems, to a point where after passing them through the flame they look like they were never there.
Also, don't do this in your kitchen. It smells like someone did a burnout, and my wife nearly killed me one day for doing a whole batch of estates while she was out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I also use flame to remove oxidation, only I use a candle flame instead of a Bic. It seems to burn a little less hot, and is easier to control because it leaves both hands free. I was taught this by another individual - basically you pass the oxidized area through the flame, back and forth, not lingering long enough to allow the vulcanite to bubble(which is pretty fast, just long enough to see the flame dip). I had to use a couple estates I didn't care much for the first time I tried this to figure out the speed I needed to move. After about 10 or 15 passes through the flame, wipe with a damp paper towel to remove the soot. Keep doing this until the stem is black. It really cut a lot of time off of my restores that I had previously spent sanding with micromesh.

It is worth noting that this method will lift out any chatter or impressions in vulcanite. This includes stamped logos/nomenclature, and pressed in dots, spades, clovers. etc. You should take care around these, as I have accidentally removed some stamped in logos on stems, to a point where after passing them through the flame they look like they were never there.
Also, don't do this in your kitchen. It smells like someone did a burnout, and my wife nearly killed me one day for doing a whole batch of estates while she was out.
Exactly. I only use the tip of the flake though. Saw someone years ago cleaning brass the same way and when I saw the reborn pipes article, it just clicked.?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Exactly. That's why I use 800>1500>2000 standard paper (and occasionally 400, but that can remove too much material if you are not careful), then move to the 8,000 and 12,000 grade micromesh. The lower grade micromesh has the same grit equivalency, and standard paper is cheaper than micromesh

That only works for me (paper towel) with 91% iso on it. Then when I scrub the oxidation comes off. Then there is minimal (only the deepest) left to deal with.

as for the micro mesh, I guess I get it but you’re still going to have to remove the same amount of material to get past the oxidation. Just different ways to do it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh my lord. Tobacco is inappropriate content now?!
yeah they pretty much work on a standard of well someone complained. Then it's up to you to proof you are not doing something "bad". As you can imagine it's a system that gets abused. Just as likely an anti or someone who just wish more people watched their stuff about the same subject.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Exactly. I only use the tip of the flame though.

This is wise advise. I thought I'd give this flame polishing a try so knowing @diamondback was out of town, I decided to surprise him with a nice gesture and popped over to his house to shine up some of his pipes for him and learned some valuable lessons.
  1. Take the stem off the pipe. Briar is flame resistant. Resistant, not flame proof. It's easy to scorch the wood around the end of the stem.
  2. Use a candle as mentioned above. I tried using a kitchen torch since he had one for searing steaks. You would be tempted to think more flame, faster work right? Bad move. Way too hot. No matter how much I tried, I melted 4 of his stems before realizing it just wouldn't work. Thank goodness Jess Chonowitsch is still alive and can remake them.
  3. Never ever do this on an antique coffee table while you are drinking whiskey. One slip and that whole old wood table will go up in flames. I so hope that Chippendale table was just a cheap knock off and not a family heirloom.
  4. Keep your fire extinguishers where they are easily findable so someone doesn't have to break your 50 gallon fish tank to try and dose the flames.
All valuable lessons learned in the attempt to do a nice thing. They say it's the thought that counts. I really, really hope so.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
This is wise advise. I thought I'd give this flame polishing a try so knowing @diamondback was out of town, I decided to surprise him with a nice gesture and popped over to his house to shine up some of his pipes for him and learned some valuable lessons.
  1. Take the stem off the pipe. Briar is flame resistant. Resistant, not flame proof. It's easy to scorch the wood around the end of the stem.
  2. Use a candle as mentioned above. I tried using a kitchen torch since he had one for searing steaks. You would be tempted to think more flame, faster work right? Bad move. Way too hot. No matter how much I tried, I melted 4 of his stems before realizing it just wouldn't work. Thank goodness Jess Chonowitsch is still alive and can remake them.
  3. Never ever do this on an antique coffee table while you are drinking whiskey. One slip and that whole old wood table will go up in flames. I so hope that Chippendale table was just a cheap knock off and not a family heirloom.
  4. Keep your fire extinguishers where they are easily findable so someone doesn't have to break your 50 gallon fish tank to try and dose the flames.
All valuable lessons learned in the attempt to do a nice thing. They say it's the thought that counts. I really, really hope so.
Or you could have done it the easy way.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That’s awesome Cap’n! Thank you! ?

Soon’z Mister Nichols sez I’m done rearranging’ tha powder barrels ter’iz satisfaction I mightin’ try it! He’s mighty particular so I may be down here fer a spell! “Do ‘em again boy!” he’s always hollerin’!

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That’s awesome Cap’n! Thank you! ?

Soon’z Mister Nichols sez I’m done rearranging’ tha powder barrels ter’iz satisfaction I mightin’ try it! He’s mighty particular so I may be down here fer a spell! “Do ‘em again boy!” he’s always hollerin’!
Full restoration thread will be up soon. Had a recent family medical emergency and I've been behind on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.