PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't build cake in any of my pipes, briar, cob, or whatever, so I don't use honey. However, once or twice, when my pipe shop proprietor has offered it in a new pipe, I've accepted, just for the form of the thing, the ritual. Most of my new pipes have started without honey and done as well as could be expected or better.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I will say I have a Savinelli Miele pipe that was treated with honey at the factory and it was a delight to smoke during break in! Loved it! For added honey-ness I smoked Sun Bear in it exclusively for several months. Very acceptable.

I have one still in the box and intend to break it in with some Wilke No. 191.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have never applied honey or maple syrup to any of my cobs, nor do I build any cake therein.
I always wipe the bowl with a paper towel when I'm finished smoking it and place it in the rack or shelf.
I would also add I have cobs that are 7 years old and going strong and still in prime smoking condition, just by using this same ritual.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The chambers of pipes exude a certain something that causes smokers and makers to coat their walls. Makers set the standard before pipes leave their shop by coating the bowls despite that many of us view the practice in a very unfavorable light.

It's not their fault. It's that exudate, that certain something. despite that there's ample proof that coatings are irrelevant.

But the tampering doesn't end once the pipe is in the smokers' hands. Honey and ash are the most often used, but the bottom line in all of this is that
bowls do just fine without coatings and that they are irrelevant.

Just smoke the gd pipe!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The chambers of pipes exude a certain something that causes smokers and makers to coat their walls. Makers set the standard before pipes leave their shop by coating the bowls despite that many of us view the practice in a very unfavorable light.

It's not their fault. It's that exudate, that certain something. despite that there's ample proof that coatings are irrelevant.

But the tampering doesn't end once the pipe is in the smokers' hands. Honey and ash are the most often used, but the bottom line in all of this is that
bowls do just fine without coatings and that they are irrelevant.

Just smoke the gd pipe!
Hark! What manner of men are these, whom swing their balls from parenthesis?

SP, Magnificent!
Briar or Corn exude flavor! Blocking the porosity of substance, we create such density that one may as well Smoke a glass pipe. Honey or Cake inhibiting the ability of the Briar or, in this case, corn to to exudate.. tsk tsk. My good man.
Precisely.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
I had a hardwood version that sucked so bad, I had to add honey. Not a fan of cobs. I have five or six and would rather smoke my Grabows. They don't implant wayward tobacco into my lungs. That being said, I still smoke the cobs, but none have been treated with honey.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Oh my... having to school our Grangerous Brother, yet again... seems my remedial work with him is never done :::sigh::: :ROFLMAO:

Okay... pull up a chair gang, here we go:

Firstly, you need to PM me your address again, so I can mail you this beautiful, brand-new, MM Great Dane; which, has been properly honey'd and dried for you, on your behalf, with which to bring you into the full light of understanding, and liberate you from the eternal prison of your ignorant state.

Secondly, I never talked about "building cake" as the goal of the honey/maple treatment; which you have misrepresented repeatedly to the Brethren-at-Large, in your above posts. Those statements of your own - yet assigned to me, by you - are yet another one of many a famous and spurious assumptions on your part, Dear Brother; in a long line of such assumptions.

In referencing such assumptions, do I really need recall and evoke the Word-of-Embarrassment: Marshmallow.

Nay, say I; I shall withhold recalling that one, and spare you that specific additional spike of shame... this time.

Herein below, copied and pasted for your illumination is the word-for-word response I provided to you when you asked me specifically about cake-building via the honey/maple treatment in new cobs:

No, it stops your cobs from giving off that burnt cob taste. It works as a great protective barrier until the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl - are naturally charred and caked...

Since you obviously missed it the first time, please note the word: "No"; being the very first word of my reply.

Perhaps, you might also note the words: "Protective Barrier"; followed by the time conditional word: "Until"; wherein the "Until" is followed by the words: "the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl - are naturally charred and caked."

Naturally: adverb: without special help nor intervention; in a natural manner.

So, if the concept of charring and creating cake is to come about "naturally" - e.g.: without artificial aid - therefore, it stands to reason that the benefits of the honey/maple treatment is exclusive - e.g.: restricted or limited to the thing it concerns - then it cannot, logically, be part of the cake-building goal; which you have erroneously and assigned it to - by misrepresentation.

It occurs to me as I compose my clever and chiding retort, that this is yet another example of where faulty diction and definition has plagued you; and, left you hopelessly hamstrung - but, as I said, I would not mention any talk of: The Inflamed Marshmallow Indecent .:rolleyes:

Now, be a good lad, and PM your POBox addy to me again, so I can get your properly honey'd pipe off to you on Friday, along with those tabak samples we have been discussing which I have ear-marked for your perusal.

Your Palsee-wowsee,
Sherm 'Honey Pipe' Natman

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I had a hardwood version that sucked so bad, I had to add honey. Not a fan of cobs. I have five or six and would rather smoke my Grabows. They don't implant wayward tobacco into my lungs. That being said, I still smoke the cobs, but none have been treated with honey.
Biz Biz Biz Biz.... Biz. Hardwood isn’t Cob. Hardwood versions of Cobs “suck so bad” because they exude burnt hard wood, not sweet porous cob.

See me after class.

Write on the board 100 times.

“Wood was used during a bad crop year. Wood isn’t Cob. Wood, sucks so bad.”

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Oh my... having to school our Grangerous Brother, yet again... seems my remedial work with him is never done :::sigh::: :ROFLMAO:

Okay... pull up a chair gang, here we go:

Firstly, you need to PM me your address again, so I can mail you this beautiful, brand-new, MM Great Dane; which, has been properly honey'd and dried for you, on your behalf, with which to bring you into the full light of understanding, and liberate you from the eternal prison of your ignorant state.

Secondly, I never talked about "building cake" as the goal of the honey/maple treatment; which you have misrepresented repeatedly to the Brethren-at-Large, in your above posts. Those statements of your own - yet assigned to me, by you - are yet another one of many a famous and spurious assumptions on your part, Dear Brother; in a long line of such assumptions.

In referencing such assumptions, do I really need recall and evoke the Word-of-Embarrassment: Marshmallow.

Nay, say I; I shall withhold recalling that one, and spare you that specific additional spike of shame... this time.

Herein below, copied and pasted for your illumination is the word-for-word response I provided to you when you asked me specifically about cake-building via the honey/maple treatment in new cobs:

No, it stops your cobs from giving off that burnt cob taste. It works as a great protective barrier until the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl - are naturally charred and caked...

Since you obviously missed it the first time, please note the word: "No"; being the very first word of my reply.

Perhaps, you might also note the words: "Protective Barrier"; followed by the time conditional word: "Until"; wherein the "Until" is followed by the words: "the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl - are naturally charred and caked."

Naturally: adverb: without special help nor intervention; in a natural manner.

So, if the concept of charring and creating cake is to come about "naturally" - e.g.: without artificial aid - therefore, it stands to reason that the benefits of the honey/maple treatment is exclusive - e.g.: restricted or limited to the thing it concerns - then it cannot, logically, be part of the cake-building goal; which you have erroneously and assigned it to - by misrepresentation.

It occurs to me as I compose my clever and chiding retort, that this is yet another example of where faulty diction and definition has plagued you; and, left you hopelessly hamstrung - but, as I said, I would not mention any talk of: The Inflamed Marshmallow Indecent .:rolleyes:

Now, be a good lad, and PM your POBox addy to me again, so I can get your properly honey'd pipe off to you on Friday, along with those tabak samples we have been discussing which I have ear-marked for your perusal.

Your Palsee-wowsee,
Sherm 'Honey Pipe' Natman

Scott from Aristocob says, and I quote, “So we're gonna save the honey for our biscuits.”

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I placed a order just now. It includes 2 Country Gentleman cobbs.

Of course I will have to reference @shermnatman on how to properly apply the honey. None the less, a test forthcoming.

Go ahead and submit your ideas of what blends I should use.
He uses saliva and honey on his weinerachintzel-lickin- finger, then unceremoniously finger bangs it until coated and sticky.

Then he scorches the rim because he knows he’s gonna blacken it anyway.

I can’t wait til it arrives.

LMAO!

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
He uses saliva and honey on his weinerachintzel-lickin- finger, then unceremoniously finger bangs it until coated and sticky.

Then he scorches the rim because he knows he’s gonna blacken it anyway.

I can’t wait til it arrives.

LMAO!
I'm going to probably pass on the rim charring.

Can't believe you didn't suggest a particular blend for my upcoming test?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Shermnatman,

Sherm,

Shermie,

The problem with the gene pool is that there’s no lifeguard present.

You’ve claimed not to have uttered the words, “building cake” and it’s true, you didn’t... but you did say and I quote,

great protective barrier until the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl - are naturally charred and caked...”

They call this something in policework. It’s a technical term. One that I don’t expect most to know but I’ll share...

It’s called.... a CLUE.

And what you’ve described is called CAKE.

CAAAAAAKE

Say it with me... Sherm.

C A A A A A A A A A A K E

So you see, the honey or the syrup is real sticky,

Wanna guess what “sticks to it” ?

Tobacco

Cake ?

Last edited:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

Scott from Aristocob says, and I quote, “So we're gonna save the honey for our biscuits.”
:::sigh::: Here we go again... Round #2... :ROFLMAO:

Much like yourself, your "helper guy" from YouTube is focusing on the idea of building cake; which, as I already pointed out, played no part in my answer to you of why I honey/syrup a new cob.

Now, I know it is hard to see from the back row of the classroom; and, you are still shook-up from your bumpy ride into school on the shorty-bus, but let me re-state - for the third time - the very first sentence of my response to you regarding YOUR assumption that I honey/syrup a cob for cake building:

"No, it stops your cobs from giving off that burnt cob taste."

This, followed by: "..it works as a great protective barrier until the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl become naturally charred and caked..."; this, during the breaking-in period of a new cob - which has nothing to do with building up a wall of cake; as new pipes char and cake as we break them in.

I find it fascinating that you would try to present - as some sort of quixotic expert - some guy on YouTube, who, while filming in his unfinished basement, is speaking in absolutes, as though he possess the sacred ancient wisdom of all things cob. He's just one of a bunch of guys on YouTube espousing a personal opinion - big surprise there; not.

Does this guy sell something? I'm getting this "friendly refurbished car, or, reclaimed time-share salesman vibe" off of him.

Nothing terribly wrong with that in itself, except that your 'expert witness' is speaking to a completely different point, which no one made regarding the uses of honey/syrup for cake-building... except yourself, of course.

However, in your future cob adventures, you may choose to follow the advice/serum of: Rob, from aristacob pipes; whereas, on this subject, I shall choose to ignore the opinions and absolutes of: Some guy named Rob, from his unfinished basement.

I think you should wait until the pipe I am sending you gets there, and you've smoked a half-dozen bowls of Granger through it, and then... express your own opinion as to the merits/demerits of using honey/syrup to break-in a new cob with; after the fact.

By the way, is that the same guy from YouTube were you got the idea that EGR Blend had marshmallows in it? :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Brother, I couldn't help myself. LOL! - Sherm Natman

Last edited: