PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I've coated new bowls with a straight honey and a fine ash and honey mix. No discernable difference leaving the bowl bare, or the coating used by the artisan. I believe the key is to smoke slowly with a new pipe or a seasoned pipe. A better experience is to be had.
Hey ? Sup

Six bowls through that new cob. Still yellow and clean inside and smokes beautifully.

No burnt wooden stem or visible char on the walls.

I’m simply a slow, easy smoker. For me to get this or any pipe that hot, it would have to be on purpose.

04BD7BA3-9151-449A-BFA0-2D6FC2327AD0.jpeg

Last edited:

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I gifted a friend one of the new cobs in my set. He loved it.

Out of curiosity I asked him what he was going to do to the pipe before he smoked it.

He said; "Nothing, what would I do to it?"

I just gave him a thumbs up and smiled.

Reactions: Grangerous

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Half of my pipes are cobs, and I smoke them the most. For me personally, tobacco just tastes better in a cob. I've never experienced a pop corn taste, or burnt cob taste, or any kind of strange taste from a cob ever. Just a neutral chamber to burn my tobacco. Then again, I sip my pipes so they barely get warm when I smoke them. I would never use honey in any pipe because I would think it would affect the flavor of both the pipe and the tobacco.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
I don't know, I could taste the sweet corn / popcorn flavour immediately upon trying my first cob. For me, it is extremely distinct. I wouldn't call it an unpleasant taste but I could see how some people might not like it if they were smoking something it clashed with. I assumed that was one of the hallmark characteristics of smoking a cob, no?

Maybe there is a correlation between people who can taste the cob and people who can taste the burnt wood? Like if you can't taste the cob then it stands to reason that maybe the other taste isn't coming through for you either, for whatever reason. Or maybe people who smoke cobs alot have acclimated to it so much don't notice either one any more?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I don't know, I could taste the sweet corn / popcorn flavour immediately upon trying my first cob. For me, it is extremely distinct. I wouldn't call it an unpleasant taste but I could see how some people might not like it if they were smoking something it clashed with. I assumed that was one of the hallmark characteristics of smoking a cob, no?

Maybe there is a correlation between people who can taste the cob and people who can taste the burnt wood? Like if you can't taste the cob then it stands to reason that maybe the other taste isn't coming through for you either, for whatever reason. Or maybe people who smoke cobs alot have acclimated to it so much don't notice either one any more?
I taste the cob most when it's a fresh cob. After a few smokes that taste subsides

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
EJimmy
Allow me to open yet another can of worms for ya!

Search the forum for the words: “Water Rinse”

When the Lord made shit-stirrers, he broke the mold after me.
Do you water rinse cobs? I had assumed that since the pores in cob were so much larger than briar, water rinsing wasn't well suited for cobs (similar to meerschaum). Have I got that wrongo?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Do you water rinse cobs? I had assumed that since the pores in cob were so much larger than briar, water rinsing wasn't well suited for cobs (similar to meerschaum). Have I got that wrongo?
And awaaaaaay we go! Hahhaha

I use a tight paper towel after each smoke and kept it clean and yellow. But then, I smoked something other than granger which left black soot inside. A rinse and wet paper towel made it clean again. I let it dry and it’s a new cob.

It was either Sutliff 212 or Carter Hall that left the black ash.

Water flush worked great! Like washing candle soot off of glass. It’s like new and able to do what Cobs do best — smoke cool.

Keep the honey for the biscuits and the syrup for the pancakes. — Shermnatman smokes dirty pipes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: shermnatman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I usually have a thin carbon layer in my cobs, much like my briar.

*grabs popcorn*
Eventually, of course. Until then you can get many “fresh cob” smokes without too much fuss.
336DD7DE-FCC7-4870-BA69-4899E5AC946F.jpeg
The Diplomat on the right has been going strong for over 7 years. Maybe longer. I just paper towel that one.

Update: Still awaiting the arrival of Shermnatman’s Pre-Dirtied Pipe, all sticky icky icky.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
How many have the others been smoked?
Those are brand new. I don’t care for the black stain. Actually, those are my first Country Gentleman. I ordered those along with the Diplomat pictured throughout this thread. MM can keep the stain. I was very pleased with the Diplomat. Nice Thick Walls. Smooth Rim. But, you know... luck of the draw with $11 Pipes.
62F7AB40-AF88-4C64-BBDB-EDD09DDE5A05.jpeg

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Those are brand new. I don’t care for the black stain. Actually, those are my first Country Gentleman. I ordered those along with the Diplomat pictured throughout this thread. MM can keep the stain. I was very pleased with the Diplomat. Nice Thick Walls. Smooth Rim. But, you know... luck of the draw with $11 Pipes.
I have two country gents that get smoked quite often. Also a diplomat apple like yours. I like cobs. For the money you can't beat them. I don't understand how some rag on em like they do. But, like i said above, to each their own.