New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Biz Biz Biz Biz.... Biz. Hardwood isn’t Cob. Hardwood versions of Cobs “suck so bad” because they exude burnt hard wood, not sweet porous cob.

See me after class.

Write on the board 100 times.

“Wood was used during a bad crop year. Wood isn’t Cob. Wood, sucks so bad.”

That's all a bunch of malarkey! There's a break in period with those hardwoods. You gotta smoke through the pain..

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I bought two new cobs on my way home last night. I would post a picture but it seems this forum only excepts black and white pics and mine is color.

They where a box set so I did what I always do with a cob. I opened the box and smoked one of them.
It was great, as they always are. I don't know what I would be looking to improve by doing anything else to it.
Whatever a "pre-treatment" would prevent from happening, I must not want prevented.

I like honey, I don't think I would trust anyone that didn't. If it makes a feller feel better that he has done something to somehow increase the preseved value of his $10 pipe, I say more power to him. I'm gonna pass on it myself.

I understand why some people don't like them for what they are (cob pipes). Vanity is king when it comes to pipes. But for the life of me I don't see how anyone can fault them for how they smoke.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Shermnatman,
You Magnificent bastard.... I’ll accept your challenge and smoke your saliva-honeyed- precharred-brand new MM cob. If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. But first some corrections...

My YouTube “expert” isn’t “Rob” from Aristocob — that’s the younger persona of Scott of Aristocob that’s “Aristocob Hisself”. He’s famous in modern Cobbery Like Bing. The Crosby of Cobs. Hes famous. He’s psssssst on YouTube! He’s Sean Cobbery!

Now, I know it’s tough for you.... tell when your out of invisible ink, but I’ll say it again.... more slooowly. We don’t waaaaant to blooooock the poooores of a cob - it needs to breathe. It needs to be porous. It needs to both absorb and, uh.. how did ol SaltedPlug put it? “Exudate “

The exudate is flavor. Sweet corn flavor, adding a nuance to the baccy. One person’s “charred corn” as you put it is another’s sweet Briar.

The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread. Now I’ve got poor ol Cosmic scratchin’ His head...

So, send me that FrEe pipe. And if anyone else wants to go on tilt and send me FrEe stuff... go ahead! I dare ya!

So, Sherm if at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried. But look at the bright side my friend—The sooner you fall behind, the more time you’ll have to catch up.

You will never catch me!

Now mail me my sticky charred cob!

Your pal, — Grangerous.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
That's all a bunch of malarkey! There's a break in period with those hardwoods. You gotta smoke through the pain..
What the Funk? Smoke thru... “the pain?”

Don’t like pain. Pain hurts me. I’m allergic to pain. You may prescribe to “No pain. No gain.” But I’ve always prescribed to: “No pain. Good.”

I used to lie to my soldiers tellin such tall tails as “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” But really, pain’s just pain. It hurts.

You of all people. I’ll be watchin you ? ??

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
My first pipe was a cob, which tasted like popcorn to me. I got ahold of a cheap briar as fast as I could and never went back. However, someday I might need to grab one for an unplanned-for smoke. So, this will be interesting thread to follow.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
What the Funk? Smoke thru... “the pain?”

Don’t like pain. Pain hurts me. I’m allergic to pain. You may prescribe to “No pain. No gain.” But I’ve always prescribed to: “No pain. Good.”

I used to lie to my soldiers tellin such tall tails as “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” But really, pain’s just pain. It hurts.

You of all people. I’ll be watchin you ? ??

Be a baby if you want.. but my well broken in Hardwoods smoke better than my briars.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Shermnatman,
You Magnificent bastard.... I’ll accept your challenge and smoke your saliva-honeyed- precharred-brand new MM cob. If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. But first some corrections...

My YouTube “expert” isn’t “Rob” from Aristocob — that’s the younger persona of Scott of Aristocob that’s “Aristocob Hisself”. He’s famous in modern Cobbery Like Bing. The Crosby of Cobs. Hes famous. He’s psssssst on YouTube! He’s Sean Cobbery!
Scott, Rob, ... whatever.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I did check out and vet your unfinished basement cob guy. Just as I said earlier that I picked up on some sort of 'refurbished car salesman' vibe from him; lo-and-behold, not only does it turn out he sells re-worked MM's; and even more "interesting", is that he used to sell little baggies of cigar ash to use as pipe mud for coating the inside of a cob bowl with... hmmmm.

Now, isn't that just so coincidental....

So according to your "expert in the basement on YouTube", free honey/syrup from your kitchen is not to be used; but, when mixed with water, the baggie of his magic cigar ash was sold to coat the inside of a cob's bowl is just fine... Now how could that be... Hmmmm? ?

Cigar ash when added to water, will indeed create a mud-like substance, which will then dry like cement on the inside surfaces of your bowl. So how does this possibly jibe with your statement of: "We don’t waaaaant to blooooock the poooores of a cob - it needs to breathe. It needs to be porous."

Seems to me the only thing intended to be truly "porous" here is the lining of your wallet.

I think you might be better off if you simply stay off YouTube my boy; you're just going to become more confused, scared, or end up buying magic cigar ash from some guy in an unfinished basement.

By the way, tell me again the story of how when your mom sent you market with the family cow, you traded it away for some magic beans... I love the part where the giant yells: "Fe, FI, Fo, Fum!!" and chases you screaming, back down the giant bean stalk LOL! :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
My first pipe was a cob, which tasted like popcorn to me. I got ahold of a cheap briar as fast as I could and never went back. However, someday I might need to grab one for an unplanned-for smoke. So, this will be interesting thread to follow.
It tasted like popcorn simply because you burnt the inside of the new bowl or burnt the exposed wood of the stem where it enters the bowl while smoking it.

It happens.

This is precisely why, when breaking in a new cob, I coat the interior bowl with honey/syrup - until the natural protection comes about through charring.

As I told our @Grangerous friend - who is definitely not Hooked-on-Phonics - regarding the popcorn taste you experienced yourself: "If you've ever had the mis-pleasure of tasting the cob, consider yourself lucky."

So, Brother Houston, give the cob another try; but this time, try the honey/syrup method before you smoker her.

See what you think about it after you give it a go. - Sherm Natman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Scott, Rob, ... whatever.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I did check out and vet your unfinished basement cob guy. Just as I said earlier that I picked up on some sort of 'refurbished car salesman' vibe from him; lo-and-behold, not only does it turn out he sells re-worked MM's; and even more "interesting", is that he used to sell little baggies of cigar ash to use as pipe mud for coating the inside of a cob bowl with... hmmmm.

Now, isn't that just so coincidental....

So according to your "expert in the basement on YouTube", free honey/syrup from your kitchen is not to be used; but, when mixed with water, the baggie of his magic cigar ash was sold to coat the inside of a cob's bowl is just fine... Now how could that be... Hmmmm? ?

Cigar ash when added to water, will indeed create a mud-like substance, which will then dry like cement on the inside surfaces of your bowl. So how does this possibly jibe with your statement of: "We don’t waaaaant to blooooock the poooores of a cob - it needs to breathe. It needs to be porous."

Seems to me the only thing intended to be truly "porous" here is the lining of your wallet.

I think you might be better off if you simply stay off YouTube my boy; you're just going to become more confused, scared, or end up buying magic cigar ash from some guy in an unfinished basement.

By the way, tell me again the story of how when your mom sent you market with the family cow, you traded it away for some magic beans... I love the part where the giant yells: "Fe, FI, Fo, Fum!!" and chases you screaming, back down the giant bean stalk LOL! :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman
Pipe Mud, isn’t for the walls and rim— It’s to raise the floor of the MM pipe to the level of the draft hole.

Now, if you’d remove and lick your sticky finger and kindly peer into your cob, you’ll see why the design calls for some pipe mud.

Oh that’s right, hard to see into one of your Cobs. All blackened with soot and syrup.

Read the following in Congressman Jim Jordan’s voice....

“ One fact remains the same. One fact is never gonna change.

Shermnatman... smokes dirty pipes.”

2C881B88-9848-4765-83B3-037E53EB4A5A.jpeg
Can you see how clean and clear the walls of this cob remain? Four bowls so far and smokes beautifully.

Shermie, You Smoke Dirty Pipes and this... is an intervention

We all want to help you.

??

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Pipe Mud, isn’t for the walls and rim— It’s to raise the floor of the MM pipe to the level of the draft hole.

Now, if you’d remove and lick your sticky finger and kindly peer into your cob, you’ll see why the design calls for some pipe mud.

Oh that’s right, hard to see into one of your Cobs. All blackened with soot and syrup.

Read the following in Congressman Jim Jordan’s voice....

“ One fact remains the same. One fact is never gonna change.

Shermnatman... smokes dirty pipes.”

View attachment 66765
Can you see how clean and clear the walls of this cob remain? Four bowls so far and smokes beautifully.

Shermie, You Smoke Dirty Pipes and this... is an intervention

We all want to help you.

??
Ha!

"Dirty" as in: well-seasoned, flavorful, faithful... aye, they are beauties to behold! Heathens should be so lucky as to experience the multi-dimensional Flavor-filled and easy-smoking joy such "dirty" pipes bring!

Tell the truth, did you really buy magic pipe mud?

Confess! LOL! - Sherm Natman

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
No, it stops your cobs from giving off that burnt cob taste. It works as a great protective barrier until the inside of the bowl and exposed wood of the stem - where it enters the bowl - are naturally charred and caked...
Read trough this thread just now with great interest. I started completely neutral.

After reading, I went and grabbed a lightly smoked legend that I have which I have been shying away from because of that exact horrible burnt taste mentioned above that I quickly realized was from the stem. Nothing to lose, I applied the honey, lightly coated the bottom especially, sure enough, the taste went away like a charm. In my case this worked, a very noticeable difference.

DISCLAIMER: Sample size 1, yes. Inexperienced smoker, yes. Not applied exactly as instructed, yes. This study is not a substitute for a scientifically controlled study. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, take any definitive sides in the cobtroversey debate, or make any claims about pipe conditions other than the subjective experience of the author. Reader agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the author from and against any loss, cost, or damage of any kind related to this post.

Keweenaw

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
Michigan
I've coated new bowls with a straight honey and a fine ash and honey mix. No discernable difference leaving the bowl bare, or the coating used by the artisan. I believe the key is to smoke slowly with a new pipe or a seasoned pipe. A better experience is to be had.

Reactions: OzPiper