PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Anyone cut their own hair?

I got a nice wireless clipper with 12 guards and watched a YouTube video. I am very pleased with the results.

Ive been using a mid ‘30’s Schick Injector to shave my neck, so using a hand mirror wasn’t difficult.

Since I wear an early 20th century long on top and short side\back, I’m just doing the back and side.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Anyone cut their own hair?

I got a nice wireless clipper with 12 guards and watched a YouTube video. I am very pleased with the results.

Ive been using a mid ‘30’s Schick Injector to shave my neck, so using a hand mirror wasn’t difficult.

Since I wear an early 20th century long on top and short side\back, I’m just doing the back and side.
Love those old razors. I use a 1947 Gillette Superspeed daily. It’s solid brass under the plating and has the weight to remind you it’s a man’s razor. No need to throw money away on plastic razors. The best part is $4 in razor blades will last me at least three years AND give you a superior shave.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Love those old razors. I use a 1947 Gillette Superspeed daily. It’s solid brass under the plating and has the weight to remind you it’s a man’s razor. No need to throw money away on plastic razors. The best part is $4 in razor blades will last me at least three years AND give you a superior shave.
Amen, I have a no notch ‘47 myself.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
A friend's dad (the guy who got me into smoking pipes) used to cut his own hair, a little at a time, each morning with scissors. Just a couple of clips here and there, whatever didn't pass muster that morning.

His hair looked awfully good, if you catch my drift.

My girlfriend does mine. #7 guard, shear it all down when it starts to look bad or I have to go to a wedding or some such. I wear a ball cap 100% of the time so it goes unnoticed.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
My wife cuts mine she is good but quite a bit more expensive than my local Barbers.
Do any of you guys put shaving gel on your face and then shave with an electric razor? it gives a shave as good as a wet razor IMO its quicker and there is less blood.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I'll have to add that getting a professonal haircut can be a crap shoot. I went to this one female barber who put the part where she wanted it rather than where it was when I came in. Cuts here range from $14 to $25 plus a tip.

I have used those places where you get a different cutter each time you visit, no like!! :) Who needs a get acquainted cut at my expense. LOL!!

I figure my skills will evolve just like shaving my neck with the old injector evolved.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon