PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I havent had a professional haircut for more than 20 years.
I actually had it cut this month by an ex hairdresser,that will last me for the next 20 with the occasional trim with a wahl cutter on top

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Thank you for all the replies. I am surprised to hear so many cut their own hair. I am encouraged I may be able to save time and money. I can see an occasional scissor cut fot the top may be required unless I decide to tackle that area as well.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My wife is a retired hairdresser, she has been cutting my hair for 56 yrs, you can realize how good she was when all the teenage boys wanted her to cut their hair, nothing more vain than a teenage boy. She says practice is all you need and good equipment, so fellows keep on trucking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife took up my barbering during the pandemic, and the first haircut was probably one of the best I've ever had, perhaps the best, plus she is satisfied with it, which was rare before. Two more haircuts since then. She's critical of her work, but she still likes it better than what the pros did, and I definitely do. Self barbering may be a bridge too far for me, but if I had to do it, I would. Of course I trim my mustache and eyebrows. I think the pandemic has probably dented the hair stylist and barbering businesses quite a bit, and I feel badly for those folks.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
My barber moved to a room add-on in the back of her garage and out of her shop once the lockdown hit, she's got three children but is as professional as ever. She loves the set-up as she's home with her kids and had a loyal clientele that followed her there. What is left of the hair on my head is moonbeams intertwined with cobwebs so it's best left to a pro to make the most of what I've left. I only wear a hat out of utilitarian necessity and even then, the older I get the less I care.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, another interest is collecting vintage shaving tools. Since the move last year I've not been using the straight razors, but for the last three mornings I have.

I honed them with a combination of 3M Lapping Films and stones with finishing on 200kgrit diamond pasted balsa followed by fire hose type linen and horsehide strop.

Attachments

• Long Tail.jpg
    Long Tail.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Wester Brothers.jpg
    Wester Brothers.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1
  • M. Jung.jpg
    M. Jung.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'll have to add that getting a professonal haircut can be a crap shoot. I went to this one female barber who put the part where she wanted it rather than where it was when I came in. Cuts here range from $14 to $25 plus a tip.

I have used those places where you get a different cutter each time you visit, no like!! :) Who needs a get acquainted cut at my expense. LOL!!

I figure my skills will evolve just like shaving my neck with the old injector evolved.

Same here on the professional cuts. I used to cut my own hair to save money while in school, so I have the clippers and some experience. A few years ago, my barber retired, and after trying several others in my area and being completely dissatisfied, I started cutting my own hair again and am quite happy with the results.

• Love
Same here on the professional cuts. I used to cut my own hair to save money while in school, so I have the clippers and some experience. A few years ago, my barber retired, and after trying several others in my area and being completely dissatisfied, I started cutting my own hair again and am quite happy with the results.
When I was fostering, I was in court almost every week, and I have always wondered where all of those lawyers got their hair cut. Not a hair out of place, and not an imperfect proportion. They must have excellent stylists.

In Tuscaloosa, we used to have a place called Mike's that served beverages and cigars while you waited. It was Bear Bryant's hang out back in the day. I don't think it's there now, but I used to love getting my hair cut there.

Now, my daughter is a stylist for weddings and movies when they are in our area. So, I really like her to cut my hair now. I can smoke a cigar while she cuts it, and it's always a great cut. Not all places can do a fade from the part down to the jawline. It took my daughter a while to get it right. Now, I would have a hard time trusting someone else to cut it. She is expensive though, ha ha, I have to cook her dinner when she comes over... which of course I enjoy doing anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: kcghost and lawdawg

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I haven't met a barber that left me thinking, "that was worth it". I've always felt like someone played a prank on me after I've left a barber shop. Quite a few years ago I decided to stop going to barbers and putting up with all the phony friendly talk and watching other people get massacred before it was my turn. Plus the price of a haircut got really crazy.

I cut my own hair with......... my Schnauzers 30 year old Oster electric clippers. They did a great job on the dog so why not try them on me? Haven't used them on a dog in about 10 years but they really work on me. My wife helps..... kind of. ?
I've tried all kinds of clippers that are supposed to be for us humans but they just don't cut. I end up looking like I went to a barber shop. ?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've cut my own hair for 20 years.

Used to be a #4 on the top and then taper to a #1 on the sides.

Now's it's a #2 on the top and tight on the sides.

Figure I save about 300$ a year.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I’m married to a stylist so i don’t worry about such trifles. Having 5 kids we have saved oodles of money.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Basically since I was 18 I've always had a girl or two that would volunteer for hair cutting duty. Since I've been with my girlfriend she's been the only one I've said yes too. (seriously I think I'd get in more trouble coming home with a new free hair cut, then covered in lipstick marks). Before that I did all my hair stuff. Excluding cut free styling. I had long hair for a while and if you'll let them, they will do lots of cute things with your hair (not sure why).

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
Like others mentioned, the pandemic forced me to explore alternative methods. I bought some WAHL clippers (excellent clippers made in the USA) and enlisted my wife as my new stylist. It was nerve wracking at first, but now there's no looking back. I'll never set foot in another barber shop.