2 Fresh Former Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The first step to getting a really good haircut is to reject, refuse, the electric clippers. Every barber and stylist has been trained to do a scissor cut down to an 8th of an inch. Yet, they use electric clippers out of laziness. Yeh, every time I let someone use those, my hair looks like shit. But, a barber or stylist with a good set of scissors and some skills, can give an awesome haircut. It gives them so much more control. You guys with lumpy heads are getting lumpy cuts because the barber is just following your head shape with a guard on, so no wonder you all look so silly. Ha ha.
A trained barber with a pair of scissors can out do anything that one with a set of electric shears can do.

Give myself a haircut? WHY!!! I mean, if you're dirt poor... but, I'll throw down a mere $40 every couple of weeks, not to look like a dufus. It's in the budget, like gas, tobacco, and the mortgage.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
The first step to getting a really good haircut is to reject, refuse, the electric clippers
My first step is to go to a salon for women. They give the best hair cuts and seem to like the change of pace.

You get a hair wash and scalp massage! Money well spent, I say.

I can't recommend it enough. It's just one of those little secrets...

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
My first step is to go to a salon for women. They give the best hair cuts and seem to like the change of pace.

You get a hair wash and scalp massage! Money well spent, I say.

I can't recommend it enough. It's just one of those little secrets...
I went to a ladies' salon so my friend who worked there could cut my hair. It was full of old ladies with perms who all glared at me because they couldn't talk smack about menfolk or something. Paid the $25, never went back.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I will readily admit that a good barber will give me a better haircut than my self-haircuts.

However, my self-haircuts are still quite good, much better than haircuts I've gotten from crappy barbers, far more convenient, and I reckon I save about $500 a year given that I cut my hair every two weeks or so since I keep it quite short on the sides (pay no mind to my profile pic, it's an old one before I got back into cutting my own hair)

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I will readily admit that a good barber will give me a better haircut than my self-haircuts.

However, my self-haircuts are still quite good, much better than haircuts I've gotten from crappy barbers, far more convenient, and I reckon I save about $500 a year given that I cut my hair every two weeks or so since I keep it quite short on the sides (pay no mind to my profile pic, it's an old one before I got back into cutting my own hair)
My barber shop is a crapshoot with half the barbers being good but always booked, and one old barber who is always free and drinks his lunch and leaves tufts around my ears. When the pandemic hit Michigan none of them wore masks so I decided to bust out our 20-year-old Wahl clippers, haven't looked back. One haircut, hold the 'Rona.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The first step to getting a really good haircut is to reject, refuse, the electric clippers. Every barber and stylist has been trained to do a scissor cut down to an 8th of an inch. Yet, they use electric clippers out of laziness. Yeh, every time I let someone use those, my hair looks like shit. But, a barber or stylist with a good set of scissors and some skills, can give an awesome haircut. It gives them so much more control. You guys with lumpy heads are getting lumpy cuts because the barber is just following your head shape with a guard on, so no wonder you all look so silly. Ha ha.
A trained barber with a pair of scissors can out do anything that one with a set of electric shears can do.

Give myself a haircut? WHY!!! I mean, if you're dirt poor... but, I'll throw down a mere $40 every couple of weeks, not to look like a dufus. It's in the budget, like gas, tobacco, and the mortgage.
If you paid $40 for that person in your aviator,
You were robbed. Just saying bro. Of course,
you have to go with what you have to work with…lol!

Tradional cuts is what is in style and it takes
number one at some point.

If you paid $40 for that person in your aviator,
You were robbed. Just saying bro. Of course,
you have to go with what you have to work with…lol!

Tradional cuts is what is in style and it takes
number one at some point.
Really? You’re going to crack on the hair not even seen in the picture under my hat? Ha ha. Okie dokie.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Barbers are like any profession. You’ve got ones that do excellent cuts and ones that do shitty cuts. It’s like finding your favorite restaurant. You find what you like and you continue to go back. I found one that is at the top of his game. His cuts are excellent and I pay him well for his skill. He knows his way around a straight razor like I do a Krispey Kreme shop. I’ve had a standing three week appointment with him for over ten years. Sure, I spend a lot of money on haircuts but I sure as hell don’t look like I cut my own hair. Plus, my 30 mins in the barber’s chair is the only time that I can close my eyes and not be bothered by another human. A great barber knows when to BS with you or when to stay quiet. It’s a lost art.

Reactions: instymp
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I'm curious if some men were hesitant to self shave back in the day? Now it is common of course. I think since learning to shave with a honed straight razor and using a mid '30's Schick injector to shave my neck has probably led to a self hair cut.