PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I’ve been a cigar smoker for about five years now and I’d like to give pipe smoking a try.

I was interested in getting some some information/feedback on selecting a pipe. I’m particularly interested in information on shapes, stem material and what to look for in construction if that is important or does it really matter as long as the pipe appeals to you.

I know this is pretty basic for seasoned pipe smokers but I would be interested in any thoughts on the topic.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Unless you have an unlimited budget I wouldn't put a terrible amount of thought into a first pipe.

You really should just have to choose between briar, meer, and cob. Once you decide that you're really just looking for something of reasonable quality that you like the look of.

IMO: At $25 or less you're basic option is a new cob or estate meer or briar of some sort. At $25-$50 there are decent briars available such as Rossi. At $50-$100 there are so many options, especially if someone has a sale, including plenty of Savinellis. Just pic a material, price, and style and you can find something.

Try using Smoking Pipes "Pipe Locator".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m particularly interested in information on shapes, stem material and what to look for in construction if that is important or does it really matter as long as the pipe appeals to you.
A pipe's shape is insubstantial in a pipe's performance. A pipe is little more than a straw and what you really want is a staw with no interruptions in the airflow. Chamber size and shape can affect burn rate and stem material is subjective to the individual. As long as a briar has an open airway, is sandblasted, has an ebonite or juma stem, and isn't bulldog or rhodesian shaped, I'm happy. Savinelli Series III pipes would be a good starter.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
You can pick up a couple of very good MM acrylic stem cobs for around $60.00 . You also might want to look at Scott's Pipes Burner series which are less than $50.00 or even step up to his SK Design line for around $75.00 or so. Both Savinelli and their sub brand Rossi have some quality pipes for relatively short money. While you should not spend a lot of money on a first pipe (or two), I don't think you want to buy a toy pipe or a poorly drilled pipe as it can lead to frustration which, in turn, might lead you to give up. It takes awhile to learn and you might as well start with a pipe which you can learn to love. There is plenty of time to buy more expensive pipes down the road. I would suggest, if you can afford to buy two pipes: a straight billiard and a bent billiard each in the 5 to 5.5 inch range. Good luck and give it some time.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
First question is " what is your budget ?"

I was told years ago "if you want to turn someone into a wine drinker, open your best bottle for him to try. If you give him a glass of two buck chuck, he's going to wonder what the fuss is about"

I'm not suggesting that you splurge $300 on your first pipe. Just don't buy the cheapest one you find. Buy one that you like the look of, in the price range that you are comfortable with.

SmokingPipes and Blue Room Briars are good places to start looking. They have a good selection of pipes in all pice categories.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the community of pipe smokers.

And come back with pics of the pipe you ended up with. You may have noticed, we like looking at what pipes others have ?

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’d agree with most of the suggestions.
Get a $15 cob, a box of stick matches, and a few 1 oz samples of different blend types. (Ie. Two aromatics you like the description of, two straight Virginia’s, two Virginia-Perique, Two English/Balkan, Two Burley).
Try each and see if Piping is your groove.
It’ll be more about cadence of smoking, learning to pack correctly, finding your desired sweet spot of moisture in the tobacco, and the flavors themselves. Not to mention; if you have one, meeting the acceptance of your other half?)
A top tier pipe won’t make an inferior blend taste better, but a good blend can make an inferior pipe smokeable.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Missouri Meerschaum Cob purchased locally or even via Amazon to try pipe smoking to determine if you Iike it. If that goes well, there are plenty of new pipe options in the $40 zone such as Kaywoodie, Medico, Morgan Bones, Dr. Grabow, etc. For a bit more consider a Rossi or Savinelli (new or estate).

I started with a cob and still have it and other cobs for various purposes even though I have about a dozen briar pipes.

I’m going to go against the flow a little. These guys know me already.
Now, keep in mind, I have tastes. I can’t just smoke some swill in a junky ass corn cob and be satisfied.

I suggest that if you make an investment into this hobby/pasttime/endeavor, you’re more likely to stick with it. Pending your budget, get something you can look back on with some love as your first pipe. You’ll be way more likely to stick with it once you’ve scorched your tongue or sinuses in learning how to smoke. And, we’ve all done this. If you’re pipe is cheap, you’re more likely to chunk that bitch in the trash when you’ve caused a great deal of pain on yourself.
If this were easy, and you could enjoy yourself right off the bat smoking a pipe, then sure ho cheap. But, there is a much more steep learning curve to pipes than cigars.

Imagine if your first cigars were White Owls, and you burned your tongue till it split and bled…. would you be as likely to keep buying cigars?

But, of your a homeless person on the streets, eating out of garbage can, sure, buy a cob. puffy

I’m being slightly sarcastic, but I have a point.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
But, of your a homeless person on the streets, eating out of garbage can, sure, buy a cob. puffy

I’m being slightly sarcastic, but I have a point.
Or if you drop a $90 Strambach meer while taking the solar cover off your pool, sure, buy a cob.

I'm not a big fan of them either but they are about as close to a risk free investment as you can get.

Personally I like the idea of a new Savinelli for the under $100 price best. I love the ones I have in this range.

Or if you drop a $90 Strambach meer while taking the solar cover off your pool, sure, buy a cob.

I'm not a big fan of them either but they are about as close to a risk free investment as you can get.

Personally I like the idea of a new Savinelli for the under $100 price best. I love the ones I have in this range.
My first pipe was about a $100 Savinelli. I have since had the stem replaced with a nice custom brindled vulcanite stem and a gem encrusted sterling band. I still pull it off it’s special place on the rack and savor it from time to time. I hold that thing very dear to my heart.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
If I were to give any advice about a first pipe, and if you have access to a real brick and mortar pipe store, pay the place a visit with a budget in mind, and ask the wisest looking person there for a recommendation. An in-person experience cannot be replicated in a forum. Plus, you will get advice about packing your pipe, lighting your pipe, smoking your pipe, and probably some free samples of different tobacco to try out. That, my friend, is how to buy your first pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Stanwell and Savinelli both make really good pipes in the $80-100 range that smoke as well as all but the very best (more expensive) pipes. EDIT: Actually, I've just seen some new Stanwells for sale at about $40.

With those brands, you can just pick a shape you like and be confident you're getting a good pipe for the price.

But a corn cob pipe for about $10 is definitely one of the best, low-risk options.

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Pipe chooses you. You'll know.

Some will say "Just get a 7 dollar cob." Some will say "Get a nice briar." But you'll see a shape you like.

I'd say a good first pipe would be like a 30, 40, 50 dollar briar. Medico, Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Yello-Bole, Crown (when P & C has them in stock), Molina. A Brigham can be right around 50, maybe a little more. You can get a Rossi Vittoria for 48 bucks, a Savinelli second. You can sometimes get a new Stanwell around 50.

The only advice I'd say is: get a new one. Some might point you to estate pipes, but get a new one. Make it all yours.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yupe. Go cheap. $25 - $40 should get you a good quality cob, or smokable briar. Once you decide you want to stick with it, you can let your hair down, scream and go crazy.

Reactions: coldbowl57

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
MM legend cob is a great starter. Can be had for about 5 bucks, and I still smoke one even though I have 40 or so other pipes to pick from at any given time. I also have 1 with a forever stem which is a nice upgrade.