PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Best advice I can think of is do-not-worry. You will find 101 opinions and suggestions here and elsewhere. You won't taste the fine nuances of various blends at the start. It's all fine.

My first pipe is a Savinelli 106 from what they called their "starter series", it's among my best smokers and still smoked regularly 10+ years on. Cost me maybe 60 euros back in 2009 or so. No need to go higher for a decent briar in my opinion, no need to worry about having 7 pipes from day one (sometimes I smoke the same pipe daily, sometimes a pipe will sit for weeks or months). In fact no need to go more than $100 for a pipe, tamper, cleaner, and a handful of tobaccos. Pipe smoking can be great on the cheap compared with other forms or smoking, let's not mention fine wines and spirits or fancy foods, furniture, vehicles, clothes, jewelry, electronics, these fields can get crazy expensive FAST. It's a great anomaly: top-line blends cost nearly the same as a bog standard blend, I know of no other consumer good that is like that.

As for tobacco, don't go for aromatics, Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Scandinavik, Seven Seas, all trash in my opinion, first learn the true taste of pipe tobacco - it's great! Amphora is quite a bit better. Get some Peterson Nightcap, or 956, get some Deluxe Navy Rolls, get some MacBaren Old Dark Fired, get some Amphora full aroma. Let the tobacco dry some, although the ones mentioned above are good from the pouch more or less. Pack LIGHTLY, use just the weight of the tamper, don't let the pipe get hot, warm is hot enough. Don't worry about relights, just relight as needed. Don't worry about the jargon around here, it is accurate but no need to worry, it will come - this forum is great, probably the best I've been on, and been in loads.

As for cigars, I don't know cigars, I just smoke Toscano Classico, tried big name Cubans a couple of years back but they didn't do much for me.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
A mediocre 5 dollar cob smokes similarly to a 250 dollar briar... its sad but a fact!

Cheap briars are for +style not +taste, or +cool smoking....

Of course price doesn’t always make the pipe, and it is certainly true between the costs of briar, how an inexpensive briar pipe can certainly smoke as nice as an expensive one.

But to say that a Cob is going to smoke similar to all the quality priced briar pipes out there in the world of the $250 range is quite a stretch, those would have to be some seriously crappy $250 pipes.

Not sure what you are meaning by cheap briar, or what sort of price range of cheap we are talking, because there are very inexpensive briar pipes out that are good smokers.

Again, price doesn’t make the pipe.

Good article by Dr. Fred Hanna.

Last edited: