PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Pipe chooses you. You'll know.

Some will say "Just get a 7 dollar cob." Some will say "Get a nice briar." But you'll see a shape you like.

I'd say a good first pipe would be like a 30, 40, 50 dollar briar. Medico, Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Yello-Bole, Crown (when P & C has them in stock), Molina. A Brigham can be right around 50, maybe a little more. You can get a Rossi Vittoria for 48 bucks, a Savinelli second. You can sometimes get a new Stanwell around 50.

The only advice I'd say is: get a new one. Some might point you to estate pipes, but get a new one. Make it all yours.
It seems that pipe selection for most is a personal thing. I understand what you’re saying as I already see myself drawn to certain pipes when browsing websites.?

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the topic so far. Very helpful information to help steer me in the right direction on selecting a pipe or pipes to start out with. Thanks to the forum members for sharing your experience on the topic and have a great and safe holiday weekend!

Reactions: chopper
Mar 1, 2014
The MM cob scores again. Thanks for feedback on the subject.
The thing people complain about most with Cobs is burning off the excess nub of the shank inside the chamber, if you're handy with a Drill or Dremel tools it can help to cut off the excess and then if you make sure to smoke a fast burning half bowl to char the exposed wood you won't taste it after that.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
The thing people complain about most with Cobs is burning off the excess nub of the shank inside the chamber, if you're handy with a Drill or Dremel tools it can help to cut off the excess and then if you make sure to smoke a fast burning half bowl to char the exposed wood you won't taste it after that.
Thanks. Good to know as I was just looking at these pipes. I was just wondering with the cob if the inside of the bowl should be coated with anything before you smoke it the first time. I read somewhere that honey was suggested. Any thoughts on this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've done the honey coating, but I believe it is more a beloved ritual than helpful with smoking.

As a cigar smoker, you will be pleased with the cost difference. You can buy a tin of premium pipe tobacco that will give you twenty smokes or more, depending on the size of your pipes chambers, that will cost as much as one premium stogy. Plus you have more control over the smoke, packing the bowl, mixing tobaccos, and smoking technique.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
An easier way to deal with the protruding bit of hardwood stem; as a soon as I taste the wood at the end of the bowl, I clear the ash, add a couple of pinches of tobacco and really fire it up to get the stem smouldering.
Doing this at the end of the first two bowls fixes the issue without the risk of compromising the pipe with a drill.

@Daydreamer I find no need to coat a new bowl.
In fact I sandpaper off any 'carbon' coating from the manufacturer.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I've done the honey coating, but I believe it is more a beloved ritual than helpful with smoking.

As a cigar smoker, you will be pleased with the cost difference. You can buy a tin of premium pipe tobacco that will give you twenty smokes or more, depending on the size of your pipes chambers, that will cost as much as one premium stogy. Plus you have more control over the smoke, packing the bowl, mixing tobaccos, and smoking technique.
Cost is definitely a factor and it seems the cost of cigars is on the rise. At 2/day avg @ $10/stick avg sometimes less with bargains it’s about $600/ month. So I’ve been settling for some in the $4-5 range that are decent. So saving money is a plus for me. I’m especially looking forward to the variety in tobacco with pipe smoking.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
An easier way to deal with the protruding bit of hardwood stem; as a soon as I taste the wood at the end of the bowl, I clear the ash, add a couple of pinches of tobacco and really fire it up to get the stem smouldering.
Doing this at the end of the first two bowls fixes the issue without the risk of compromising the pipe with a drill.

@Daydreamer I find no need to coat a new bowl.
In fact I sandpaper off any 'carbon' coating from the manufacturer.
These are some good tips to know. It amazes me that those pipes can withstand that much heat. Has my interest sparked.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The MM cob scores again. Thanks for feedback on the subject.
For me, and many others, it's a simple cost benefit analysis.

How much do you want to spend investing a hobby that you may or may not like?

You can literally get into pipes for $10 with a cob, a bic lighter & a pouch of Captain Black. You will almost certainly not enjoy yourself. You can also purchase a $5,000 pipe, $200 lighter & $100 tobacco too and it could be only marginally better.

I had immediate access to my grandfather's pipes. I also picked up cobs to sample tobaccos and a Dr. Grabow for my first "regular" pipe until I was in a position to afford better.

My happy spot is Peterson's, however I still absolutely love MM cobs and have about 10 higher end pipes.

Keep asking questions. It's nice to have a resource like this available for answers. Let us know how it goes and if you need any more information.

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Daydreamer

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Lots of good suggestions in above posts. I'll address just one issue, stem material. The two most common materials are Vulcanite and acrylic/lucite. Vulcanite is basically rubber and is a slight softer material and therefore more comfortable especially on a heavy pipe, or a pipe with a long stem that is leveraging against your teeth and jaw. The other drawback is that if exposed to sunlight for long periods, and sometimes just through extended use, Vulcanite will "oxidize," especially at the bit, giving a dull gritty appearance. This can be cleaned, but it requires maintenance. Acrylic is harder and less comfortable to some, but is lower maintenance and stays new looking over time. Either is fine. I buy Vulcanite if I have a choice, but find acrylic just fine. Special edition MM cobs for about $28 have acrylic stems, but most of them have a soft plastic that requires replacement more often, but do fine for a starter pipes at around $8-$12.
Thanks for going into stem material for me, I have a better understanding of pros and cons now.?

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
For me, and many others, it's a simple cost benefit analysis.

How much do you want to spend investing a hobby that you may or may not like?

You can literally get into pipes for $10 with a cob, a bic lighter & a pouch of Captain Black. You will almost certainly not enjoy yourself. You can also purchase a $5,000 pipe, $200 lighter & $100 tobacco too and it could be only marginally better.

I had immediate access to my grandfather's pipes. I also picked up cobs to sample tobaccos and a Dr. Grabow for my first "regular" pipe until I was in a position to afford better.

My happy spot is Peterson's, however I still absolutely love MM cobs and have about 10 higher end pipes.

Keep asking questions. It's nice to have a resource like this available for answers. Let us know how it goes and if you need any more information.

Regards,
Chris
It’s always good to hear a personal perspective on how someone got started with pipe smoking. It’s a little more involved than just trying different cigars.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
These are some good tips to know. It amazes me that those pipes can withstand that much heat. Has my interest sparked.
Yes it is, though I should mention that I've done this with the MM cobs that have a hardwood insert in the base.

Despite what others say; price has little to do with it [though cost is a plus - I've 9 MM cobs in the mail for the price of one Savinelli or Peterson]
There appears to be an attitude where some equate smoking a cob with drooling hillbillies who know no better.
Some have even mentioned that they fear being judged for smoking a cob or are embarrassed to in certain company.
Meh, I'm the type who would take a cob to a formal function just to stir the snobs. :LOL:

Some blends, like Burley for instance, actually taste better smoked in a cob.
All other blends taste just as good in a cob as a briar IMO.

Sure they're cheap but they would not be so popular if they were inferior smokers.
They're practical, sturdy and easily replaced.

Sure, I've plenty of briars that I enjoy smoking but MM cobs will always be a part of my rotation.

Mar 1, 2014
Between my set of $200-$300 pipes and my $10 cobs, the cobs smoke better, they're just subjectively ugly.

Today I spent all afternoon drilling and filing out the button and stem on my Ser Jacopo trying to bring it up to the same standard as a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman.
At this point I practically won't smoke a pipe until the draft has been reworked.
Some people say a wide draft ruins a pipe, others say it's critical to a good smoke: Airflow: The Key to Smoking Pleasure - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Airflow:_The_Key_to_Smoking_Pleasure

Buying a Cob and comparing side by side isn't difficult.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Too long to read through. As much as I enjoy cob, I do need to inform new smokers that there is certain "taste" to new cob pipe. It's something like sweet corn, and you might or might not like it. But it should go away after smoking for awhile.. Or not. I don't mind it at all. It's rather nice.