PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m going to go against the flow a little. These guys know me already.
Now, keep in mind, I have tastes. I can’t just smoke some swill in a junky ass corn cob and be satisfied.
I bought a MM Dagner from Eddie at The Pipe Nook, it’s a really decent smoker. :)

I don’t mind my Cobs, I have three, I’ve been fortunate. These three I own are nice, and the Dagner of the bunch is the best, and I smoke it often, especially at times to sample a new blend in.

The Forever Stems I placed on the Diplomat and Morgan are nice too.

Now I don’t consider these as great a smoker as my Radice, but they have been doing the job pretty good.

The one thing though, the quality of the MM Cobs, you might have to go through a few to get a nice one.

The craftsmanship on my three is really good, cosmetically and smoke wise, but I did go through a few to get these nice ones.

57F02038-1DB5-4B6B-B00A-FC8A5D45A65C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Daydreamer

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Cobs are always a good fun inexpensive smoke. Yes, there's a kind of sweet corn taste while they're breaking in, but I've had a couple briars with a funky break in taste too. MM was a more pleasant and much quicker process. For me, it's not about the money as much. I can afford name brand quality. But there's much to be said for walking into a store with $20 and walking out with 2 pipes, a pack of cleaners, an ounce or two of a decent bulk, Bic lighter or matches, and a pipe nail with a little bit of change coming back. And so many here can put into words much more effectively than I can the wondrous magic of loading a burley heavy OTC blend (I'm looking at you, Carter Hall) in a well loved MM cob.

I often see everyone pointing to cobs as a beginners pipe, a cheap way to see if you like it. Well it is that, but it's more. It's not a Ninja 250 we're expected to outgrow in a few months time. It's not a Macanudo cigar, something nice and mild for the newbie to start on. Yeah, everything about cobs screams beginners tool from its cheap plastic stem to its sub $20 price. But if you look beyond it's still a very capable smoking tool that, with some care, will last a long as you.

Next up the ladder will be those unloved pieces of briar languishing away in the basket behind the counter. Some would view this basket as a crap shoot. I prefer "treasure hunt". Just make sure a pipe cleaner will go through if it's straightish. Those with deep bends might not pass one even with a big marquee name on it. They'll run about the same price as a Grabow or other domestic factory offering. I'll also throw in a Morgan Bones in that tier. Very decent smoking pipes for the price, if not the beautiful works of functional art. Still bargain basement prices, still the potential to be a good smoking tool, and with care it can still be a great smoker when your grandchildren put it up on eBay.

And then there's the name brands and their tiers of fit and finish. Savinelli, Brigham, Stanwell, Rossi, Chacom and Peterson all have lines of pipes ranging from beginners to flagship. Those will run a little more, but come with a much better chance of being a great smoking pipe. And more of a redress procedure for those lemons we all come across from time to time.

That's a heck of a wall of text. And in the end, it's almost meaningless. The pipe won't have near as much to do with the experience as the tobacco, loading process, and smoking mannerisms. So where did that leave the smoker starting down the rabbit hole of pipes? Quite simply take all these suggestions you've gotten, especially mine and especially this, with a grain or two of salt. The YMMV tag applies to this as much as, if not more than, hunting dogs or women or cars. So find a pipe that speaks to you and just get in there! Then post lots of pictures because we like pictures.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Between my set of $200-$300 pipes and my $10 cobs, the cobs smoke better, they're just subjectively ugly.

Today I spent all afternoon drilling and filing out the button and stem on my Ser Jacopo trying to bring it up to the same standard as a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman.
At this point I practically won't smoke a pipe until the draft has been reworked.
Some people say a wide draft ruins a pipe, others say it's critical to a good smoke: Airflow: The Key to Smoking Pleasure - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Airflow:_The_Key_to_Smoking_Pleasure

Buying a Cob and comparing side by side isn't difficult.
Thanks for the link on airflow it should be an interesting read. I’m guessing that the modification you do to the draft would make the pipe smoke cooler.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
In my opinion a good starter pipe can be had in the range of $15 - $150 , that covers the entire gamut from MM cobs and basket pipes all the way up to entry level Savinellis, Peterson’s and other reputable makers.
Thanks for your thought on the topic?

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I bought a MM Dagner from Eddie at The Pipe Nook, it’s a really decent smoker. :)

I don’t mind my Cobs, I have three, I’ve been fortunate. These three I own are nice, and the Dagner of the bunch is the best, and I smoke it often, especially at times to sample a new blend in.

The Forever Stems I placed on the Diplomat and Morgan are nice too.

Now I don’t consider these as great a smoker as my Radice, but they have been doing the job pretty good.

The one thing though, the quality of the MM Cobs, you might have to go through a few to get a nice one.

The craftsmanship on my three is really good, cosmetically and smoke wise, but I did go through a few to get these nice ones.

View attachment 96036
Thanks as I was looking/ reading about that pipe yesterday.

Reactions: PipeIT

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Cobs are always a good fun inexpensive smoke. Yes, there's a kind of sweet corn taste while they're breaking in, but I've had a couple briars with a funky break in taste too. MM was a more pleasant and much quicker process. For me, it's not about the money as much. I can afford name brand quality. But there's much to be said for walking into a store with $20 and walking out with 2 pipes, a pack of cleaners, an ounce or two of a decent bulk, Bic lighter or matches, and a pipe nail with a little bit of change coming back. And so many here can put into words much more effectively than I can the wondrous magic of loading a burley heavy OTC blend (I'm looking at you, Carter Hall) in a well loved MM cob.

I often see everyone pointing to cobs as a beginners pipe, a cheap way to see if you like it. Well it is that, but it's more. It's not a Ninja 250 we're expected to outgrow in a few months time. It's not a Macanudo cigar, something nice and mild for the newbie to start on. Yeah, everything about cobs screams beginners tool from its cheap plastic stem to its sub $20 price. But if you look beyond it's still a very capable smoking tool that, with some care, will last a long as you.

Next up the ladder will be those unloved pieces of briar languishing away in the basket behind the counter. Some would view this basket as a crap shoot. I prefer "treasure hunt". Just make sure a pipe cleaner will go through if it's straightish. Those with deep bends might not pass one even with a big marquee name on it. They'll run about the same price as a Grabow or other domestic factory offering. I'll also throw in a Morgan Bones in that tier. Very decent smoking pipes for the price, if not the beautiful works of functional art. Still bargain basement prices, still the potential to be a good smoking tool, and with care it can still be a great smoker when your grandchildren put it up on eBay.

And then there's the name brands and their tiers of fit and finish. Savinelli, Brigham, Stanwell, Rossi, Chacom and Peterson all have lines of pipes ranging from beginners to flagship. Those will run a little more, but come with a much better chance of being a great smoking pipe. And more of a redress procedure for those lemons we all come across from time to time.

That's a heck of a wall of text. And in the end, it's almost meaningless. The pipe won't have near as much to do with the experience as the tobacco, loading process, and smoking mannerisms. So where did that leave the smoker starting down the rabbit hole of pipes? Quite simply take all these suggestions you've gotten, especially mine and especially this, with a grain or two of salt. The YMMV tag applies to this as much as, if not more than, hunting dogs or women or cars. So find a pipe that speaks to you and just get in there! Then post lots of pictures because we like pictures.
Thanks for your candid input on the topic and providing your personal experience. It’s all very helpful to hear what members have experienced along the way?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Too long to read through. As much as I enjoy cob, I do need to inform new smokers that there is certain "taste" to new cob pipe. It's something like sweet corn, and you might or might not like it. But it should go away after smoking for awhile.. Or not. I don't mind it at all. It's rather nice.
Never tasted sweet corn.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Never tasted sweet corn.
Good to know. I don’t think that is a problem as much as a challenge. Since I can’t eat corn, It might be interesting to smoke it?. I’m looking primarily at MM cobs right now but knowing my nature to experiment I’m sure I will pick up an inexpensive briar to try as well?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the budget front, not all of the lower price pipe tobacco is floor sweepings and roll-your-own impostors. So you can keep your cost down by identifying good bag blends that cost little, and less on sale. D&R and OHM are better than average, for examples.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I am a fan of pipes already broken in; aka "estate pipes", aka "pre-owned", aka "used"..... great values can be had.
This comes as a surprise to me and I’ve stayed away from anything marked “estate” as they seem to have a hefty price tag. I must be looking in the wrong places.

I’ve also noticed that some pipes are categorized “fresh”. Are these used pipes that have been refurbished?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
On the budget front, not all of the lower price pipe tobacco is floor sweepings and roll-your-own impostors. So you can keep your cost down by identifying good bag blends that cost little, and less on sale. D&R and OHM are better than average, for examples.
I haven’t looked much into tobacco yet so this should provide a good starting point. Quite honestly I spent very little time becoming knowledgeable with tobaccos while smoking cigars except for very basic wrapper and filler material. I learned what I liked as I tried different cigars.

I think with pipe tobacco I’ll need to put in a little more homework to have a base understanding of what’s available and what I like.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I feel personally like this question is being over thought. The thing is the only way you'll really know if you have the right pipe is by having several. My suggestion is pick a pipe that speaks to you and that you feel comfortable spending the money on (very personal question), once you've picked a pipe that appeals come to a place like here and say hey I will probably buy a pipe this style this brand and just make sure there aren't a whole bunch of horror stories (a few don't matter). Buy it enjoy it and then the next pipe will be a lot easier to pick.
The other option in my opinion is get a decent cheap pipe. Morgan bones, Falcon, Cob, many of the great French options, certain Kaywoodies, or a nice estate from a reputable dealer (smoking pipes is great I hear Smoking Treasures is good both tell you honestly what they have). After having that for a while you'll know what you like and what you don't like about that pipe and the second one will be a lot easier. Including what price range you feel a pipe you like is worth to you.
But the big thing is that there are more good pipes then bad ones.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This comes as a surprise to me and I’ve stayed away from anything marked “estate” as they seem to have a hefty price tag. I must be looking in the wrong places.

Sounds like you've been looking in very nice places! :)
I’ve also noticed that some pipes are categorized “fresh”. Are these used pipes that have been refurbished?
I think it's a term some companies use to denote the pipes that are newly advertised. I presume also those pipes have been well cleaned!

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I feel personally like this question is being over thought. The thing is the only way you'll really know if you have the right pipe is by having several. My suggestion is pick a pipe that speaks to you and that you feel comfortable spending the money on (very personal question), once you've picked a pipe that appeals come to a place like here and say hey I will probably buy a pipe this style this brand and just make sure there aren't a whole bunch of horror stories (a few don't matter). Buy it enjoy it and then the next pipe will be a lot easier to pick.
The other option in my opinion is get a decent cheap pipe. Morgan bones, Falcon, Cob, many of the great French options, certain Kaywoodies, or a nice estate from a reputable dealer (smoking pipes is great I hear Smoking Treasures is good both tell you honestly what they have). After having that for a while you'll know what you like and what you don't like about that pipe and the second one will be a lot easier. Including what price range you feel a pipe you like is worth to you.
But the big thing is that there are more good pipes then bad ones.
Point well taken.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob