PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Everyone should try a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob with the basic 80 cent plastic stem.
The draw on those is very open and smooth, the only thing comparable in Briar would be a Castello costing about 20x more.
Yes, MM cobs are very good smokers but newbies need to be aware that it takes three bowls for the vegetal taste to go.
Me no like breaking in a new cob. [I've got 9 in the mail :LOL: ]

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
As noted a cob is great idea to start. Love em! My first pipe was Dr. Grabow from the local drugstore with a pouch of Captain Black white to go with it. My opinion is if you can spend a couple bucks and get somewhat of a decent pipe so that you have a good first experience, then do it. Nothing will turn you off quicker to the hobby than a wonky pipe that doesn't smoke well. (Well maybe some crappy tobacco and a pissed of spouse...they can detract as well... but I digress...) What would that be? Depends on your budget. I have some $25 to $30 basket pipes that are wonderful.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I’ve been a cigar smoker for about five years now and I’d like to give pipe smoking a try.

I was interested in getting some some information/feedback on selecting a pipe. I’m particularly interested in information on shapes, stem material and what to look for in construction if that is important or does it really matter as long as the pipe appeals to you.

I know this is pretty basic for seasoned pipe smokers but I would be interested in any thoughts on the topic
Unless you have an unlimited budget I wouldn't put a terrible amount of thought into a first pipe.

You really should just have to choose between briar, meer, and cob. Once you decide that you're really just looking for something of reasonable quality that you like the look of.

IMO: At $25 or less you're basic option is a new cob or estate meer or briar of some sort. At $25-$50 there are decent briars available such as Rossi. At $50-$100 there are so many options, especially if someone has a sale, including plenty of Savinellis. Just pic a material, price, and style and you can find something.

Try using Smoking Pipes "Pipe Locator".
Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. I like the pipe locator tool.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I would stick with a basket pipe at $25-40. If you decide that pipe smoking is not your thing, then not too much money invested. If you decide that you enjoy it, then you can start spending on something that you truly want. I have had expensive pipes that smoke no better than cheap pipes.
Thanks for your feedback. I will probably try to keep max at $50 for now.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
A pipe's shape is insubstantial in a pipe's performance. A pipe is little more than a straw and what you really want is a staw with no interruptions in the airflow. Chamber size and shape can affect burn rate and stem material is subjective to the individual. As long as a briar has an open airway, is sandblasted, has an ebonite or juma stem, and isn't bulldog or rhodesian shaped, I'm happy. Savinelli Series III pipes would be a good starter.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the Savinelli pipes.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
You can pick up a couple of very good MM acrylic stem cobs for around $60.00 . You also might want to look at Scott's Pipes Burner series which are less than $50.00 or even step up to his SK Design line for around $75.00 or so. Both Savinelli and their sub brand Rossi have some quality pipes for relatively short money. While you should not spend a lot of money on a first pipe (or two), I don't think you want to buy a toy pipe or a poorly drilled pipe as it can lead to frustration which, in turn, might lead you to give up. It takes awhile to learn and you might as well start with a pipe which you can learn to love. There is plenty of time to buy more expensive pipes down the road. I would suggest, if you can afford to buy two pipes: a straight billiard and a bent billiard each in the 5 to 5.5 inch range. Good luck and give it some time.
Thanks for your thoughts on the topic especially shape and size.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
First question is " what is your budget ?"

I was told years ago "if you want to turn someone into a wine drinker, open your best bottle for him to try. If you give him a glass of two buck chuck, he's going to wonder what the fuss is about"

I'm not suggesting that you splurge $300 on your first pipe. Just don't buy the cheapest one you find. Buy one that you like the look of, in the price range that you are comfortable with.

SmokingPipes and Blue Room Briars are good places to start looking. They have a good selection of pipes in all pice categories.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the community of pipe smokers.

And come back with pics of the pipe you ended up with. You may have noticed, we like looking at what pipes others have ?
I appreciate your thoughts on the topic and will post some pics of the pipe(s) I finally select.

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of good suggestions in above posts. I'll address just one issue, stem material. The two most common materials are Vulcanite and acrylic/lucite. Vulcanite is basically rubber and is a slight softer material and therefore more comfortable especially on a heavy pipe, or a pipe with a long stem that is leveraging against your teeth and jaw. The other drawback is that if exposed to sunlight for long periods, and sometimes just through extended use, Vulcanite will "oxidize," especially at the bit, giving a dull gritty appearance. This can be cleaned, but it requires maintenance. Acrylic is harder and less comfortable to some, but is lower maintenance and stays new looking over time. Either is fine. I buy Vulcanite if I have a choice, but find acrylic just fine. Special edition MM cobs for about $28 have acrylic stems, but most of them have a soft plastic that requires replacement more often, but do fine for a starter pipes at around $8-$12.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I’d agree with most of the suggestions.
Get a $15 cob, a box of stick matches, and a few 1 oz samples of different blend types. (Ie. Two aromatics you like the description of, two straight Virginia’s, two Virginia-Perique, Two English/Balkan, Two Burley).
Try each and see if Piping is your groove.
It’ll be more about cadence of smoking, learning to pack correctly, finding your desired sweet spot of moisture in the tobacco, and the flavors themselves. Not to mention; if you have one, meeting the acceptance of your other half?)
A top tier pipe won’t make an inferior blend taste better, but a good blend can make an inferior pipe smokeable.
Appreciate your thoughts on the subject. It seems that many have started with the cob. Also, the suggestions on tobacco to start with is helpful. As far as the other half, yes there is one and she has already establish her feelings on my cigar smoking. She doesn’t mind it as long as it takes place outdoors. So, she has her “she shed” for gardening and I have my garage for smoking. It’s all good and sometimes she even gets me some gift cards to buy cigars at the Holidays. Maybe she’ll get me some gift cards to buy pipes too! ?

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Lots of good suggestions in above posts. I'll address just one issue, stem material. The two most common materials are Vulcanite and acrylic/lucite. Vulcanite is basically rubber and is a slight softer material and therefore more comfortable especially on a heavy pipe, or a pipe with a long stem that is leveraging against your teeth and jaw. The other drawback is that if exposed to sunlight for long periods, and sometimes just through extended use, Vulcanite will "oxidize," especially at the bit, giving a dull gritty appearance. This can be cleaned, but it requires maintenance. Acrylic is harder and less comfortable to some, but is lower maintenance and stays new looking over time. Either is fine. I buy Vulcanite if I have a choice, but find acrylic just fine. Special edition MM cobs for about $28 have acrylic stems, but most of them have a soft plastic that requires replacement more often, but do fine for a starter pipes at around $8-$12.
Thanks for your thoughts on stem material which has been a little bit of a mystery for me. It seems that stem material is more of a personal preference.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
A simple, pretty pipe. That's all. I'd propose a straight billiard or apple shape, like gentlemen have done for a hundred years.
Thanks. Pipes are certainly works of art and I can spend hours looking at the variety of pipes available. Cigars can be a work of art as well when selecting however the end result is a little different after you have finished your smoke.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Missouri Meerschaum Cob purchased locally or even via Amazon to try pipe smoking to determine if you Iike it. If that goes well, there are plenty of new pipe options in the $40 zone such as Kaywoodie, Medico, Morgan Bones, Dr. Grabow, etc. For a bit more consider a Rossi or Savinelli (new or estate).

I started with a cob and still have it and other cobs for various purposes even though I have about a dozen briar pipes.
MM cobs seem to be frequently recommended here as a good starter as well as others. I am taking a closer look at these. Appreciate your thoughts on the topic?

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I’m going to go against the flow a little. These guys know me already.
Now, keep in mind, I have tastes. I can’t just smoke some swill in a junky ass corn cob and be satisfied.

I suggest that if you make an investment into this hobby/pasttime/endeavor, you’re more likely to stick with it. Pending your budget, get something you can look back on with some love as your first pipe. You’ll be way more likely to stick with it once you’ve scorched your tongue or sinuses in learning how to smoke. And, we’ve all done this. If you’re pipe is cheap, you’re more likely to chunk that bitch in the trash when you’ve caused a great deal of pain on yourself.
If this were easy, and you could enjoy yourself right off the bat smoking a pipe, then sure ho cheap. But, there is a much more steep learning curve to pipes than cigars.

Imagine if your first cigars were White Owls, and you burned your tongue till it split and bled…. would you be as likely to keep buying cigars?

But, of your a homeless person on the streets, eating out of garbage can, sure, buy a cob. puffy

I’m being slightly sarcastic, but I have a point.
Point well taken here. Always good to have some opposition on a subject. I certainly can afford to spend a little more on a first pipe so I will take this into consideration.

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
If I were to give any advice about a first pipe, and if you have access to a real brick and mortar pipe store, pay the place a visit with a budget in mind, and ask the wisest looking person there for a recommendation. An in-person experience cannot be replicated in a forum. Plus, you will get advice about packing your pipe, lighting your pipe, smoking your pipe, and probably some free samples of different tobacco to try out. That, my friend, is how to buy your first pipe.
I do have access to a good store however it is about an hour drive. I plan on making the trip as this store has good reviews for pipe smokers. That is how I got started with cigars. I walked in a good shop and received good advice and assistance in selecting my first cigars to try. Thanks?

Reactions: stevecourtright

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Stanwell and Savinelli both make really good pipes in the $80-100 range that smoke as well as all but the very best (more expensive) pipes. EDIT: Actually, I've just seen some new Stanwells for sale at about $40.

With those brands, you can just pick a shape you like and be confident you're getting a good pipe for the price.

But a corn cob pipe for about $10 is definitely one of the best, low-risk options.
I haven’t looked at Stanwells so I’ll have to do some browsing. Appreciate your thoughts on the topic.

Reactions: pitchfork

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
I'll make you the same recommendation that was made to myself and countless other neophyte pipers...

Go down to the local drugstore and pick up a Dr. Grabow & a couple Missouri Meershaum corn cobs.
Thanks for your input on the subject. MM cobs seem to be suggested frequently here. Seems to be a good starting point.