PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
A hassle, but being there for your daughter is obviously way more important. Hope she weathers it well and recovers quickly. And so glad it wasn't worse for either of those young folks.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Hoping for a speedy recovery. This is another example of modern day security gone wild. I live in a small city, around 50,000 people, in the past year the SWAT team was called out numerous times for people walking with assault weapons. Turned out to be; an umbrella, a hard case containing a bong and several others that turned out to be nothing. My 82 year old mother had fingernail clippers taken from her at the airport. :crazy:

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Hope your daughter recovers well. Being in an auto accident can be traumatic, I'd imagine being the parent of someone in a auto accident is pretty traumatic as well.
Sorry to hear about the tamper. It probably went home with the security guard just because it was "shiny". On one hand I get the need for security but on the other hand I question the need to be so crazy with it. I never understood why places couldn't come up with a way to secure items and let you retrieve them later.
I always carry a pocket knife so I never think about "disarming" to visit places. The "hide it in the bushes" has worked well for me in the past. I had to do it outside the Smithsonian in DC once. I was truly surprised when it was still there when we returned.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
So sorry to hear about this. Praying for a full recovery. I used to go in and out of court-houses a lot, and would often forget about my small Swiss Army knife. Actually happened to retun to a court-house and recovered a knife that had been there a couple months that I previously forgot on my rush out. It was in great shape. As noted, bush/dirt is an effective way to ditch and recover. Bad/sad news all around.

We are back home now. They had to put her under to set the bones that were broke. She cried when we drove by where the wreck happened. But, almost her entire school was in my front yard waiting on her when we got home. She cried again at the outpouring of love her friends gave her.

According to witnesses, the lady that hit them had admitted "drunkenly" that she had just had four margaritas, was in the kid's lane as she was turning into the "bar" when they collided. But, told the officers that she had only had one drink, she passed the field sobriety test, but failed the blow test... the officer said that the field sobriety test made the other test inadmissible. The boy's dad said that he was getting a lawyer to push the issue. But, whichever way, he or the lady would pay for any of my expences. Probably not the tamp, but I'd throw all of the gold away in a heartbeat to keep my girl safe.

I am finishing up a bowl pf Condor RR and am going to try to catch some sleep. It's been a loooong night. Thanks guys for all the moral support. I'm sure I will feel the full shock of all of this after a nap.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Cosmic I'm glad to here the Miatta did it's job and your daughter is back home.
Nothing like a bowl of condor to ease the days troubles away.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Glad to hear she's home and on the mend. Nice to have so much love around her.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Grateful that your daughter is safe. In the game of life, that's all that matters. Everything else is just stuff.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thank God that your daughter will be ok, and I hope her mending period will be uneventful. Now that she's as OK as can be and in good hands, there are two things you need to attend to: First, to ensure that the drunk driver is prosecuted to the full extent of the law, and second, that the bozo who had his eyes on your beautiful tamper returns your property.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Glad to hear your daughter wasn't more seriously hurt and she will mend in time. Sounds like the drunk driver must have run a stop sign or red light. That any hospital would have police and shake down the parent of a car accident as they enter the hospital and hassle them is beyond belief. A pipe tamper? They could have just held onto it or let you leave it outside. I honestly don't know where this country is heading; we've replaced common sense with giving people with itinerant stupidity absolute authority over our lives. Speedy recovery.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sorry to hear that your daughter was injured, but glad the injury wasn't worse! Hospital security is not usually a highly-paid job; it is not beyond my imagination that valuable items get pocketed from time to time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, all good thoughts and prayers to you and your wife and your daughter. I hope healing is steady and comfortable. I'll keep you all in mind.
Yes, I've had recent emergency room experiences. I was disarmed of a pocket knife with a 2 1/4 inch blade. If I attacked anyone with that, I would definitely need to be hospitalized myself, in another ward. Now I know to leave it in the car. Notably, no such restrictions apply with the pocket knife on regular ward visits to my wife in the hospital otherwise. The ER is so security conscious, some of the nurses and techs put tape over their last names on their name cards because the gang members and their kith and kin might track them down for imagined wrongs. Now my wife is at home and cooking and out and about, but we've had many medical adventures. I assume they returned your beautiful tamper after its stay under armed guardianship.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Of course the tamper went home with the rentacop. But your daughter went home, that's the main thing, especially considering a little POS like a Miata is only slightly safer than a baby pram in any kind of collision with a larger vehicle.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just saw this thread, and am horrified but now glad your daughter is home and safe, and on the mend.
Very disappointed you lost (hopefully temporarily) a prized creation. Filling out a police report might be satisfying, complaints to the hospital? I dunno. It sucks to be without such a monstrous and dangerous weapon. Surprised they didn't take the lighter, too! You might have gone off the rails and ignited some beds or oxygen tanks....

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
It just makes me wonder if they search the patients too. What if they find a pipe tamper on the kid, do they refuse the patient or call in the BATFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.