PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm a curious cat. 🔎 Has anyone dug into the online file cabinet of STG? I thought the Chairman's Report on April 4th of 2024 contained a good directional nod in how they might play their hand shaping things. Pages 3, 4, 7 & 8 were most interesting.
In brief, the report was about meeting climate sustainability numbers and increasing mechanized industrialization of cigars while pushing further into the Global Next Generation Tobacco Products Market. There was nothing in their literature that pointed to focusing on pipe tobacco other than acquiring existing real estate and putting profits towards their goals mentioned above (it seemed to me). GNGTPMs from what I could find are:

Global Next Generation Tobacco Products Market, By Device Type (e-Cigarettes, Vaps, Mods, e-Hookahs, Pens, Other), System (Open Vaping System, Closed Vaping System, Semi-Closed System, Other), Product Type (Tobacco Heating Products, Vapour Products, Snus Products, Other), Component (Atomizer, Vape Mod, Cartomizer, E-liquid, Battery, Other), Age Group (18-30 Age Group, 31-44 Age Group, 45-60 Age Group, 61 and Above Age Group), Distribution Channel (Online Buying, Retail Stores, Convenience Store, Drug Store, Newsstand, Tobacconist Store, Specialty E-cigarette Store, Other), Country (U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Rest of South America, Germany, France, Italy, U.K., Belgium, Spain, Russia, Turkey, Netherlands, Switzerland, Rest of Europe, Japan, China, India, South Korea, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Rest of Asia-Pacific, U.A.E, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, South Africa, Israel, Rest of Middle East and Africa) Industry Trends and Forecast to 2028. Resource: Next Generation Tobacco Products Market – Global Industry Trends and Forecast to 2028 | Data Bridge Market Research - https://www.databridgemarketresearch.com/reports/global-next-generation-tobacco-products-market
The Chairman's Report was a very enlightening read. Thanks for the post.

Among the information is the very telling forecast for growth in their different product endeavors. Next Generation Tobacco Products are seen to have room for marked growth, while cigars and smoking tobacco are seen as flat or no growth. Given their focus on sustainable growth I would take this to indicate that they will be gradually moving away from cigars and smoking tobaccos and more toward Next Gen products in the coming years, to improve profitability in changing and developing markets. Simplifying operations being a core mandate, simplifying the range of products will necessarily be part of that process.

I would not be surprised if the offerings in the pipe tobacco area were reduced or sold off to another manufacturer. In any case, nothing in the report refers to producing the highest quality as a goal.

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
The Chairman's Report was a very enlightening read. Thanks for the post.

Among the information is the very telling forecast for growth in their different product endeavors. Next Generation Tobacco Products are seen to have room for marked growth, while cigars and smoking tobacco are seen as flat or no growth. Given their focus on sustainable growth I would take this to indicate that they will be gradually moving away from cigars and smoking tobaccos and more toward Next Gen products in the coming years, to improve profitability in changing and developing markets. Simplifying operations being a core mandate, simplifying the range of products will necessarily be part of that process.

I would not be surprised if the offerings in the pipe tobacco area were reduced or sold off to another manufacturer. In any case, nothing in the report refers to producing the highest quality as a goal.
This is what I was thinking towards as well. The entire food industry has been altered in the same way. BlackRock and Vanguard are the majority shareholders for the handful of global corporations that have bought up virtually all of the food-branded companies in the US market...even most of the niche market of organic products. Then there is the push for ESG investing and factors into the stock market. Then quietly over time, the corporations add more and more cheaper ingredients to food products, more chemicals etc.

Increasingly I find it difficult with how to spend my dollar in every direction. Stick to my guns and spend more for the hand-crafted as a quiet boycott of the corporate oligarchy? Or save money with the industrialized version for a larger quantity that mostly only the corporate oligarchy can provide? I would love to shop every week at the farmers market and support local farmers...but the prices are mind-numbing and I cannot feed my family this way.

Then there is the cultural angle. Change the culture, change the market (something corporations, governments and media are very familiar with). I just do not see the same level of commercial push in the tobacco market with traditional pipe smoking like I see with next gen products. Yet here I am, a new gen X pipe smoker looking for my next batch of tobacco samples to try and new potential pipes for my pipe collection. I have hope for a renaissance of the hand-crafted. :sher:

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Mac Baren's best sellers in the US in recent years are all the creations of Per Jensen. They owe him for whatever market share they still have under the Mac Baren label.

I think they did make a smart move some years ago buying the Capstan, Three Nuns and St Bruno pipe brands. STG would be fools to change those blends (recall STG produced Capstan and Three Nuns in the Assens factory as recently as 2011.)

Another line Mac Baren did a great job with is Amphora. Those pouches contain high quality broken flake at a great price. I have some Full Aroma jarred up. Not sure how long the casings will last.

My favorite Sutliff blend is 507C Va Slices. I'm not sure who produces it. There is some thought that it is made in Denmark.

I hope someone from the industry with answers to these questions will post here at some point.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Maybe it’s time for serious pipe smokers to stop buying STG products.

After all the smaller vendors have a hard enough time surviving in this small niche market.

Don’t we all believe maybe it’s time to really put our money in the small guy/gal?

KBV

L.J. Peretti

The Country Squire

Uhle’s

Watch City Cigar

Wilke Pipe Tobacco

And all the other small B&M! :)

P.S. Here’s Gawith, because they’re not exactly STG sized.

Last edited:

Tongue-Fried

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Maybe it’s time for serious pipe smokers to stop buying STG products.

After all the smaller vendors have a hard enough time surviving in this small niche market.

Don’t we all believe maybe it’s time to really put our money in the small guy/gal?

KBV

L.J. Peretti

The Country Squire

Uhle’s

Watch City Cigar

Wilke Pipe Tobacco

And all the other small B&M! :)
Any good straight Virginia rec’s from Country Squire or Wilke that are bright and sweet? I wanted to like Peretti’s, but I can’t get past the soapy taste…

Reactions: Friendly Piper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Any good straight Virginia rec’s from Country Squire or Wilke that are bright and sweet? I wanted to like Peretti’s, but I can’t get past the soapy taste…

I haven’t smoked any Straight VAs from them…

Now @JimInks I would think is the Wilke man around here that would know. OH JIM! LOL 😝

But Watch City I believe has that going on…

Hmm Peretti’s VA soapy? That doesn’t sound right, did you purchase some of their VA flakes?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Now @JimInks I would think is the Wilke man around here that would know. OH JIM! LOL 😝

Hmm Peretti’s VA soapy? That doesn’t sound right, did you purchase some of their VA flakes?

I occasionally smoke Wilke Back Bay without perique. It's a few grades of bright and gold Va. Rather mild, burns easy, and is one of my work smokes. It's not on the menu so you have to ask for it.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
This day and age, any company getting acquired means quality dips. That's what big companies do, they buy a company and cut costs to decrease bottom line by making higher productivity demands, forcing the use of lower quality materials, cutting worker pay, cutting jobs... as a result, quality suffers.

The product they produce isn't the product and the consumer that consumes it isn't the consumer. The real product is the company itself and how it looks on paper, and the real consumer is the shareholders.

This is a massive kick in the nuts... I like a lot of Mac Baren and Sutliff blends. Unfortunately, I don't have the money or the space to stock up on the ones I like.

t('.'t) STG.
To your point. Here is their PLAYBOOK on M&A ……A DISCIPLINED AND FOCUSED APPROACH TO M&A - Scandinavian Tobacco Group - https://www.st-group.com/press-media/news-stories/in-focus-stories/a-disciplined-and-focused-approach-to-m-a/

Tongue-Fried

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills

Ampersand Flake from LJP was the one that seemed like it would best fit my preferred flavor/profile, but alas I didn’t even finish the 1oz sample. I tried it in about 6 different pipes, most of which were freshly cleaned 🤷🏻‍♂️ Same soapy taste…

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ampersand Flake from LJP was the one that seemed like it would best fit my preferred flavor/profile, but alas I didn’t even finish the 1oz sample. I tried it in about 6 different pipes, most of which were freshly cleaned 🤷🏻‍♂️ Same soapy taste…

Still doesn’t sound right, it’s suppose to be a Straight VA. I would just call them, and call Ernie too at Watch, hell call them all while your at it. ;)

They’re all friendly to chat with…

Ampersand Flake

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
BlackRock and Vanguard are the majority shareholders for the handful of global corporations that have bought up virtually all of the food-branded companies in the US market

If you ever have to give a one word answer to the question of who owns the world, Vanguard would be as close as you're going to get. It's the single largest shareholder in the Borg that is Black Rock.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
This is pure speculation, BUT…

My guess, based on STG’s past behavior, is that they will close Mac Baren, sell almost everything, maybe keep some equipment. Mac Baren will exist in name only, product will be as uniform as the rest of the STG line.

This is a consolidation. As the market shrinks, businesses close and a dominant company emerges.
Im gonna have to agree here. When you are moving that kind of cash and have stockholders it simply makes no sense to increase your bottom line when your audience does not grow. My guess is if its popular it will stay. If not it will go. Evenutally they will consolidate production. Sadly, it just makes sense from their perspective.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I will say the economics don’t suggest any compulsion to sell. Mac Baren’s EBITDA was over $12 million, and unless the family had grossly over leveraged it they had a cash machine with steady (if perhaps gradually declining) revenues. That kind of profitability will support substantial dividends to the owners. My guess is they were simply ready for an exit. In cases like this generational transitions are often the proximate cause.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As for a generational transition, from what I can tell the last direct descendant of the family which ran the business for 134 years passed away in 2021. The breakage of such links often precipitate liquidity events. But that’s just an observation. Mac Baren is a private company and I have no real idea about the inside story. I will say the new CEO (previously COO) is an MBA or equivalent. Taking that into consideration it’s unsurprising to me that the company was sold a couple of years after the last family member running it died. The only surprising thing to me is the valuation; a bit over 6x EBITDA for a company of this size bought by a strategic player is close to dirt cheap. As woodsroad noted the synergies in this transaction are material and easily achieved. An aggressive strategic buyer would be looking at gross profit, not EBITDA, and determining how much of it could be made to stick to them after consolidation of operations and general overhead.

Last edited: