PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Maybe the seller is anticipating that being tobacco manufacturer in EU is not going to be easy in the future.
And the market for pipe tobacco is not growing.

For sure, but a lot of money can be made in declining businesses. From a discounted cash flow perspective what happens in twenty years is relatively unimportant. And for all the headwinds I believe the industry will be around in twenty years. And STG clearly does too. Remember this is all that STG does. They’re all-in on the future of the tobacco industry; unlike most of their peers they’re undiversified.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Maybe it’s time for serious pipe smokers to stop buying STG products.

After all the smaller vendors have a hard enough time surviving in this small niche market.

Don’t we all believe maybe it’s time to really put our money in the small guy/gal?

KBV

L.J. Peretti

The Country Squire

Uhle’s

Watch City Cigar

Wilke Pipe Tobacco

And all the other small B&M! :)

P.S. Here’s Gawith, because they’re not exactly STG sized.

Doesn't Sutliff supply the components to most of these smaller blenders? I know WCC uses Sutliff leaf.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
STG is a public company and they have stated in the press release that Mac Baren's net income will be accretive to the STG bottom line, so I would not expect big changes right away. They will, over time, look to concentrate on the most popular blends. The value of the Capstan and St Bruno brands will now be embedded now in STG's balance sheet. They have every incentive to keep producing. The only question is how they manage the blending and the component ingredients. Pipe smokers will be able to tell by taste if any poor choices are made here. I think (hope?) they understand this.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Why’d you guys vote for that?
Because tobacco is an easier boogyman to fight than the nanny-state governments, inflation, stagflation, skimpflation, the crumbling global supply chain, disgusting levels of growing economic disparity...

Most people need an enemy because they want to feel morally superior, so it's easy to pick something like this. People would also gladly sacrifice freedom for the illusion of security if it means they don't have to make any choices for themselves, they want to be told what to do and someone else to be responsible for them, they can't handle the anxiety of choice or the fear of freedom (Kierkegaard and Sartre are good insights to this, and Hobbes "Leviathan" is a good insight to use of governmental power to force homogeneity due to this fear).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Piping Abe : Its called the "Condor Amendment' and its primary purpose is prevent tobacco products being compared or described as 'tasting like sucking farts out of a Swan/Squirrel/Three week old dead corpse' or describing the texture as closely resembling that of your Thai bar girl/girl/wife etc 'Pubic hairs or armchair stuffing'. By insisting on describing everything as simply tobacco you narrow the scope to insult people/get cancelled or generally behave like a red blooded Oliver Reed clone!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
This is some sad and surprising news for sure. I really love the suggestion of C&D acquiring the Mac Baren flake presses, although I’m not sure STG would be willing to help a direct competitor acquire tools that are otherwise essentially unobtainable.