PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Well that's a little sad, but historically from what I recall when STG has acquired other companies they usually just let the company keep doing what they're doing producing the same blends on the same machinery; the only difference being a minor change of text on the label. This does add some more context to Per Georg Jensen's recent departure from Mac Baren though, and if there does happen to be any change in the quality of their blends over the coming years that would be the reason I'd be more likely to point to.
When STG bought Lane, they closed Lane's Tucker, GA manufacturing plant and moved production overseas. Classics like Carter Hall are now made in the Dominican Republic and people say they're different.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
All you need to know from their own website:
"We're here to enrich ourselves".

And I mean yeah, business exists to make money, but that short-sighted shareholder crap and pure profit at the expense of everything and no concerns about the customers or employees leads to long-term unsustainability and everyone suffers because of it, to include the business itself, but that won't matter, the shareholders will have already been to the bank and moved on to ruin other businesses.

Focus on cigars eh? Maybe their plan is to ruin pipe tobacco to force people into cigars...

Screenshot_20240628-041524.png

Reminds me of a bunch of memes...
Screenshot_20240628-042211.pngScreenshot_20240628-042319.pngScreenshot_20240628-042455.png

Tongue-Fried

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
I almost exclusively smoke Newminster 400 and HH Virginia Flake, so that’s cool. Any similarly tasting recommendations from manufacturers that will be unaffected by this buy-out that I could start trying now, in case this all does go though and the quality tanks?

Well, before I get upset, who manufactures Newminster 400 anyway? I thought it was MacB, but after a little research I’m not so sure.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
STG has taken over production of some of P&C's blends. I think the transition has been underway for some time.
P&C is STG. STG took over production of P&C’s blends when they bought the company over ten years ago. STG bought Lane, where some P&C blends were manufactured, in 2011 and has since moved all production to its Assens, DK factory. Some STG/P&C blends continue to be made by Mac Baren/Sutliff.