PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Just standard Pork Sausage for Toad in the Hole. For Bangers and Mash, you have free reign as far as I'm concerned!
You might agree that sausages a staple of many working class families has gone way upmarket and is now sold in Trendy cafe/bistros by the addition of new fillings, spices. I bet Rod Stewart and the other Hollywood Brits order in bangers from the UK with their Waitrose order.

I do have to say I have learned alot about the english people on here. Surprisingly working class english food has a lot in common with poor white Cracker food just a different name. except we would Never boil sausage or bacon or brats
My grandparents used to tell me all the time that they spent years during the depression just eating pinto beans, collards, and cornbread. And, the way my grandmother would cook them, made them like gourmet food. I still will make them once a week, except I skip eating them how my granddad did, mashing them all together and coating them in Karo syrup. H aha.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My grandparents used to tell me all the time that they spent years during the depression just eating pinto beans, collards, and cornbread. And, the way my grandmother would cook them, made them like gourmet food. I still will make them once a week, except I skip eating them how my granddad did, mashing them all together and coating them in Karo syrup. H aha.
love the karo syrup, my kids just dont understand it

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I do have to say I have learned alot about the english people on here. Surprisingly working class english food has a lot in common with poor white Cracker food just a different name. except we would Never boil sausage or bacon or brats
Let's be clear here Cosmic has been putting the rumour around that we boil sausages, we do not, we fry them with our grits.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
You might agree that sausages a staple of many working class families has gone way upmarket and is now sold in Trendy cafe/bistros by the addition of new fillings, spices. I bet Rod Stewart and the other Hollywood Brits order in bangers from the UK with their Waitrose order.
However many new and upmarket sausages there are there’s very little that can beat a good plain butchers pork sausage.

Let's be clear here Cosmic has been putting the rumour around that we boil sausages, we do not, we fry them with our grits.
To be more clear, I merely asked why they boiled sausages during WW1. John proposed that the English boiled all of their meats. But, then he said that you guys weren't so bad in bed. puffy

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I remember my first time in Chicago and watching a street vender boiling hot dogs. I had never seen someone boil meats. It seemed very weird to me. I had never though to boil a sausage before grilling it, but it sounds plausible. I may have to try it.
A slang term is "dirty water dog". Supposedly boiling helps to keep the casing intact.

Some boil bratwurst in beer and onions before grilling. I like it in theory, but in practice I don't taste whatever the beer is supposed to add.

Personally, I prefer pan frying sausage and brats. Once nicely charred, I put water in the pan and reduce the heat. Once the water evaporates, the brats are done and juicy. Top with porter onions (carmelize onions in butter, then add porter and let the porter reduce) and enjoy.

Of course mashed potatoes, a rich onion gravy, or various mustards (or Inner Beauty hot sauce) also complement the meal. Sausage with sauteed peppers and onions (either alone or with a marinara sauce) also make a great meal.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Oh, yes, boiling was the only way to cook almost anything if you go back far enough in English "cuisine". Food prep is magnitudes better now in most places.

And, yeah, they're still called Bangers.

Speaking of English cuisine, I recall a joke that in heaven, your chefs are French, engineers are German, and policemen are English, but in hell, your chefs are English, your engineers are French, and your policemen are German puffy

All meant in good fun. I can appreciate some English food, especially fish and chips.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Speaking of English cuisine, I recall a joke that in heaven, your chefs are French, engineers are German, and policemen are English, but in hell, your chefs are English, your engineers are French, and your policemen are German puffy

All meant in good fun. I can appreciate some English food, especially fish and chips.
I was suprised to learn curries are the national dish of England.

I am currently getting into Indian food and the spices and range of curries are amazing.

Of course a good fish and chips with a homemade tartar sauce and some malt vinegar tends to hit the spot at times.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Speaking of English cuisine, I recall a joke that in heaven, your chefs are French, the engineers are German, and policemen are English, but in hell, your chefs are English, your engineers are French, and your policemen are German puffy

I heard the drivers version which is that in heaven the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the police are English, the lovers are Italian and the whole thing is organized by the Swiss.

Whereas in hell, the cooks are English, the police are German, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss and the whole thing is organized by the Italians.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To be more clear, I merely asked why they boiled sausages during WW1. John proposed that the English boiled all of their meats. But, then he said that you guys weren't so bad in bed. puffy
As long as we are getting clear, I made no opinion on how Brit men did in bed- though have some anecdotal notes- it's how the women knew their way about the bedroom.

And boiling of meats was becoming outlawed in civilized households.

As long as we are getting clear, I made no opinion on how Brit men did in bed- though have some anecdotal notes- it's how the women knew their way about the bedroom.

And boiling of meats was becoming outlawed in civilized households.
At one time, it was my goal to gain carnal knowledge of women from every country and culture in the world. I was young, head full of curly red locks, a boxers build, and I was adventurous.
I will have to say, that I never slept with an English woman. i was slightly successful as a rake; exchange students, travel to Europe and Asia…. However, I married a Scott and an Irish woman, both very short lived marriages, but I never bedded an English woman. I just assumed I was doing well with them up until…. I had to start taking their pulse to make sure I wasn’t going to have to get a defibrillator. I think the food was making then too sleepy for carnal explorations or English women just more easily see through my bullshit…. or…. well, I’ll avoid generalizations…. for the sake of decency on the forum. puffy

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Lot of people still boil sausage before grilling them. The pizza parlor I used to go to back in NYC will boil them in the oven before browning them on grill. Some suggest boiling bratwurst in water with onion before grilling. Not really sure why. Maybe cause most are made with pork and to cook thoroughly?
My wife boils them in beer (CHEAP beer!) prior to me finishing them on the grill. Deee-licious!