6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

No clue. Only thing I know is, it uses filler (bread crumbs).
I did a Googly thing and found out that during WWI meat was scarce in England that they filled the casing with more junk than meat when making sausages, and they were known to explode (BANG) in the pot when they boiled them. Which of course, begs the question, why were they boiling sausages? Is that an English thing?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I did a Googly thing and found out that during WWI meat was scarce in England that they filled the casing with more junk than meat when making sausages, and they were known to explode (BANG) in the pot when they boiled them. Which of course, begs the question, why were they boiling sausages? Is that an English thing?
Oh, yes, boiling was the only way to cook almost anything if you go back far enough in English "cuisine". Food prep is magnitudes better now in most places.

And, yeah, they're still called Bangers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Lot of people still boil sausage before grilling them. The pizza parlor I used to go to back in NYC will boil them in the oven before browning them on grill. Some suggest boiling bratwurst in water with onion before grilling. Not really sure why. Maybe cause most are made with pork and to cook thoroughly?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lot of people still boil sausage before grilling them. The pizza parlor I used to go to back in NYC will boil them in the oven before browning them on grill. Some suggest boiling bratwurst in water with onion before grilling. Not really sure why. Maybe cause most are made with pork and to cook thoroughly?
That makes sense. Also, it removes a bit of grease and oils that can be discarded if you throw the water out before it boils away. I do that sometimes with bacon.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A classic ribsticker. Make it all the time with all the moose sausage on hand.

Love me some bangers and mash, steak and kidney pie, and of course pasties, but if I had to pick one english meal above all, it would be the full english breakfast. I know there are variations, but I make mine with beans, bacon, sausage, black bread fried in bacon grease, blood sausage if i can get it (if not moose sausage), fried eggs, potatoes, and of course fried tomato slices with salt and pepper.

A hangover cure if there ever was one. My Scotch-Irish heritage prevents me from heaping praise on the english all too often, but thats one thing they sure got right.

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020

This was the most interesting thing I learned all day. Thanks for passing that along.