PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
As long as we are getting clear, I made no opinion on how Brit men did in bed- though have some anecdotal notes- it's how the women knew their way about the bedroom.

And boiling of meats was becoming outlawed in civilized households.
As Mr. Pink would say, I've got two words for you - learn to ______ sous vide! I haven't, lol, and when I first started hearing of some folks swearing by it I still could only think of "boiling" meat and English cooking, but on vacation last summer my wife's brother served us ribs he had made vis sous vide (and showed me how it worked) then finished on his grill and they were amazing - was looking for one of the units online this weekend - thinking of trying it this winter. My drum smoker will probably die of laughter.

No idea on the other subject, but if my wife ever learns to sound like a young Julie Andrews . . . . .

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As Mr. Pink would say, I've got two words for you - learn to ______ sous vide! << Snipped bits out >>
That's five friggin words! :)

I've thought of that, but as my health improves, I may feel like actually doing so. In the mean time, I recently parboiled a couple of chicken breasts, finishing on the barbie. Came out great.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That's five friggin words! :)

I've thought of that, but as my health improves, I may feel like actually doing so. In the mean time, I recently parboiled a couple of chicken breasts, finishing on the barbie. Came out great.

The restaurant scene at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs is one of my favorites in cinema. :)

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
...but if I had to pick one english meal above all, it would be the full english breakfast. I know there are variations, but I make mine with beans, bacon, sausage, black bread fried in bacon grease, blood sausage if i can get it (if not moose sausage), fried eggs, potatoes, and of course fried tomato slices with salt and pepper.

A hangover cure if there ever was one. My Scotch-Irish heritage prevents me from heaping praise on the english all too often, but thats one thing they sure got right.
But what you've just described is an "Ulster Fry" (admittedly you left out the Soda Bread and Potato Bread...)

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
3 of the 4 ppl in the household love veggie mash (we call it "stamppot"). New favorite of my youngest son is Hutspot, which is a 2 to 1 to 1 ratio of potatoes, onions and carrots. I particularly like Endive, my wife likes Kale, both in a 1 to 1 ratio. My eldest doesn't care for it.

And we can't forget the volcano style mash with gravy and meatball in the middle:

img_84902984.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
But what you've just described is an "Ulster Fry" (admittedly you left out the Soda Bread and Potato Bread...)
Yeah, whatever you want to call it man. I call it a shitload of delicious breakfast food.

It seems nearly any discussion of the various wonderful concoctions in this realm of culinary delight inevitably leads to incessant squabbling over whether it should have whosey whatsits in it or not and whether it’s called a thingamajig or a humdinger etc. etc.

There is no wrong answer, as long as it comes with a fork, coffee, and a digestif bowl of fine tobacco.

Reactions: Tar Wheel

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As Mr. Pink would say, I've got two words for you - learn to ______ sous vide! I haven't, lol, and when I first started hearing of some folks swearing by it I still could only think of "boiling" meat and English cooking, but on vacation last summer my wife's brother served us ribs he had made vis sous vide (and showed me how it worked) then finished on his grill and they were amazing - was looking for one of the units online this weekend - thinking of trying it this winter. My drum smoker will probably die of laughter.

No idea on the other subject, but if my wife ever learns to sound like a young Julie Andrews . . . . .
Young Ms. Andrews enjoyed dropping ingredients rather often. Do wash while she's not looking.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus