Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake - Hairs In The Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I just opened a tin of Samuel Gawith "Sam's Flake" and carefully moved the contents into a jar. In doing so, I discovered all sorts of little hairs in the bottom of the tin. Closer inspection revealed little hairs throughout the flakes as well. I did not experience this with the Samuel Gawith "Chocolate Flake" tobacco that I also recently opened, nor have I seen such a thing with any other tobacco. Has anybody seen this before with this or any other tobacco? Please advise.

Attachments

• 20200408_160613.jpg
    20200408_160613.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200408_163801.jpg
    20200408_163801.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 119

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I found a good chunk of some sort of hair bristles in a tin of Penzance in 2016. I wrote to Germain’s and they asked me for the number on the tin, but provided no explanation or follow up email. The retailer I purchased it from was awesome enough to replace my tin.

Reactions: BROBS

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It's burlap and rope.
Here's a photo of some I found in Spark Plug (GL Pease; I later found some rope in Timm's London Blend #1000):

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I found a good chunk of some sort of hair bristles in a tin of Penzance in 2016. I wrote to Germain’s and they asked me for the number on the tin, but provided no explanation or follow up email. The retailer I purchased it from was awesome enough to replace my tin.
That's good news. I have also sent a message to the store where I purchased it and am hoping for a favorable response.

Reactions: lightmybriar

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
It's burlap and rope.
Here's a photo of some I found in Spark Plug (GL Pease; I later found some rope in Timm's London Blend #1000):

Interesting. I guess the burlap or twine must be from the tobacco bundles, curing, and/or blending process that gets missed?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
hemp and jute are both vegetable fibers. Probably safer for you than tobacco.

had a carpet installer tell me about smoking jute. I guess it’s what they used to use to back carpet with. He was an interesting guy...

Doesn’t surprise me, though, finding some fibers in tobacco. I’d guess that there’s really no way of keeping them out after a certain point, since tobacco is frequently shipped in burlap sling bags. Still a bummer though, I wouldn’t want to smoke it just from a flavor standpoint...

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Doesn’t surprise me, though, finding some fibers in tobacco. I’d guess that there’s really no way of keeping them out after a certain point, since tobacco is frequently shipped in burlap sling bags. Still a bummer though, I wouldn’t want to smoke it just from a flavor standpoint...
Maybe, but I just haven't seen it before and there is so much in this tin it's like somebody went for a hair cut, swept up all of the clippings, put them in this tin, added tobacco, and shook the whole thing up.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Maybe, but I just haven't seen it before and there is so much in this tin it's like somebody went for a hair cut, swept up all of the clippings, put them in this tin, added tobacco, and shook the whole thing up.

Yeah, definitely gross and some bad quality control at that point! I hope it gets resolved some way, keep us posted!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just opened a tin of Samuel Gawith "Sam's Flake" and carefully moved the contents into a jar. In doing so, I discovered all sorts of little hairs in the bottom of the tin. Closer inspection revealed little hairs throughout the flakes as well. I did not experience this with the Samuel Gawith "Chocolate Flake" tobacco that I also recently opened, nor have I seen such a thing with any other tobacco. Has anybody seen this before with this or any other tobacco? Please advise.
you got Sam's beard trimmings.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yeah, definitely gross and some bad quality control at that point! I hope it gets resolved some way, keep us posted!
Sent a message and pictures to the retailer and was informed that it was mold and that a replacement tin has been sent already. Regardless of the actual problem, I really appreciate that the retailer resolved it even though it really wasn't their fault or problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.