PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
A few etailers will get shipments circa 9/17. Second helping for some. Distributor shenanigans. No need to panic, though the order the distributor made is well short of the demand.

Reactions: ofafeather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No, but I’m sure most the members here remember you telling them repeatedly.
Let's see, didn't see your name in my post, but I'll respond anyway.

Not at all as I don't like posting about blends I really like to prevent them from selling out. Luckily jpberg responded to you otherwise i would not have known you posted. Not sure how crusty old guy applies either as I'm twenty-five years from retirement.

Jan 27, 2020

Not at all as I don't like posting about blends I really like to prevent them from selling out. Luckily jpberg responded to you otherwise i would not have known you posted. Not sure how crusty old guy applies either as I'm twenty-five years from retirement.

Well, it’s just some light ribbing... no offense meant.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

Well, maybe “world weary 40 year old who doesn’t wet his pants when people have tobacco for sale” would have been more appropriate.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Dang, it's kill or be killed out there, lol. Anyways,I hope some new folks got to get some Gawith, it's great stuff. And I hope the scalpers got none. But hey, tis' life.

Smoke em' if ya gottem.'
Truly... Between the scalpers, hoarders, and veterans in the know, it's been very difficult for new/new-ish pipe smokers like myself to get even single tins of the "popular" Samuel Gawith products to try.

I have been fortunate enough to find the following Samuel Gawith stuff:
  • An ounce of bulk Fire Dance from a tobacconist while traveling pre-COVID
  • A tin each of Sam's Flake and Chocolate Flake early this year from WCC (left over stock from the last drop before they sold out)
  • A tin of Full Virginia Flake from a local store (all wiped out now)
  • A sample of vintage Squadron Leader from my neighbor that got me into this hobby
However, the following have been extremely difficult to procure since my interests have evolved:
  • 1792 Flake
  • Cabbie's Mixture
  • Grousemoor
  • Skiff Mixture
  • St. James Flake
I was trying to help others by posting the recent drops as I discovered them, but I wasn't fast enough to get the tins on my list. Someday, maybe...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The fact that sneaker culture terms like “drop” have infiltrated the pipe tobacco world makes me cringe...
Well, I'm not familiar with the term from that segment and use it here since it seems to be the common term. In previous hobbies I would have said "release" or "restocking" to mean something that has become available or available again.

Jan 27, 2020
Well, I'm not familiar with the term from that segment and use it here since it seems to be the common term. In previous hobbies I would have said "release" or "restocking" to mean something that has become available or available again.

Nothing against you... but also signifies that unneeded frenzy and anxiety associated with a limited release of something. Pipe smoking is supposed to be relaxing but now I’m all amped up going site to site looking from a Grouse.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Nothing against you... but also signifies that unneeded frenzy and anxiety associated with a limited release of something. Pipe smoking is supposed to be relaxing but now I’m all amped up going site to site looking from a Grouse.
I agree. This same shift occurred in the beer and board game hobbies. I got out of those from a connoisseur standpoint as it only got worse. However, I then landed in this hobby and it's all the same things all over again. I learned lessons previously, but it is difficult when starting out to ignore the natural desire to "catch up" and try the "classics" or highly rated/well regarded stuff. Unfortunately those items and many more new ones are now "exclusive" and "limited" making them very difficult and frustrating for people to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.