PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We have both WH and IHOP. WH for the win. All Star with eggs over medium, toast, hash browns (scattered, smothered, diced, and peppered), country ham, and pecan waffle. And the best coffee at any chain restaurant. IHOP can’t even touch it.
I remember the IHOP when it first opened in the '60's. Back then it was truly and international house of pancakes with an extensive menu of pancakes from different parts of the globe. The quality was pretty good and it was successful.
Of course, it got bought by a conglomerate who set to work simplifying the offerings and put some dumbass MBA over it to maximize profits by cutting quality. It's just mediocre and has been that way for decades.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I remember the IHOP when it first opened in the '60's. Back then it was truly and international house of pancakes with an extensive menu of pancakes from different parts of the globe. The quality was pretty good and it was successful.
Of course, it got bought by a conglomerate who set to work simplifying the offerings and put some dumbass MBA over it to maximize profits by cutting quality. It's just mediocre and has been that way for decades.
It's out of business now as of Covid-19. Off topic, I know, but at work we're looking at their newest locations and how to renovate them into different fast food restaurants. Was walking through one built just 2 years ago and it was kind of creepy - dishes still stacked in the kitchen, utensils still there, blowers by the heat lamps still running, paperwork still stacked in the manager's office. It was like a zombie apocalypse where everyone just disappeared.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think so many cigar groupies coming to pipes in the late 90’s helped make Latakia what it was. It still seems to me to be the logical step, taste wise.
I also think having more selection helps too. I mean when I started I thought English and Latakia were not so good. That was based on the two or three latakia blends I had available to me. Getting to try out other English blends really helped a lot. Starting with MacBaren Latakia flake on a whim. I think that's another big reason for the explosion. And the late 90's was when you could start ordering whatever blends you wanted and weren't limited to what you could pick up locally.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
See?! IHOP woulda kicked y’all’s asses out! Only at Waffle House can you stumble in with a jar of shine at 2:00 AM and get service! ?
My buddy had it in his coat pocket, so it took a while before she noticed. Perhaps we were a bit indiscrete in passing it back and forth across the table. It was a random weeknight, I do remember.

And as for stumbling, I seem to recall walking rather steadily, but the world was woobly, perhaps due to a rubberized earthquake or maybe we can blame climate change.

Back on track, was able to snag a few boxes (at inflated prices) online, but a good way to boost the cellar. What I didn't care for was an online vendor cancelling my order for one tin each of a few blends and saying it was because she only limits purchase to 2 tins or 1 box. You thought she would have put that on the website, but you'd be wrong. Oh well - plenty of other places to spend my money.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Picked up two Kendal Cream deluxe and a Chocolate Flake. Never tried either. Haven't bought any Gawith since 2010.

Still haven't opened the pound box of FVF I bought in 2010 and I'm still wondering if I should crack that open being as I've still never tried FVF. Prices are way higher now than they were back then. They've more than doubled. So I've been torn between selling the FVF and smoking it. Of late, I'm thinking more and more that I should just smoke it.

Anyway, happy hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.