PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Here is some...
Best shipping packing in the business even if their prices are a little high...

:)

Thanks! Got a bit of Grousemoor, XX and Skiff! WIsh I added a bit of his bulk but wanted to checkout asap.

Reactions: donjgiles
Jan 27, 2020
Apparently only two tins of the Grouse left, I just got one, thought I added two but might of been a restriction...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, I'm just settling into a less is more mentality. Too much selection to choose from has just gotten too tedious.
I love trying new blends, but what I really love is having some tobacco to smoke. I will not buy something that turns into extra work when there are allready hundreds of blends I could smoke all day and enjoy.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Here is some...
Best shipping packing in the business even if their prices are a little high...

:)
Thanks for posting. Last time I checked Boswell's they still only had the bulk GH stuff available. But alas, I missed out again since I had some meetings to attend for work and by the time I was done, saw this post, and took a look everything was already gone. Just bad luck or maybe it isn't meant to be this time around. Guess I'll keep up the hunt as time permits!

• Sad
Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Thanks for posting. Last time I checked Boswell's they still only had the bulk GH stuff available. But alas, I missed out again since I had some meetings to attend for work and by the time I was done, saw this post, and took a look everything was already gone. Just bad luck or maybe it isn't meant to be this time around. Guess I'll keep up the hunt as time permits!

I bet you’ll find it cheaper in coming days... hope springs eternal.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Maybe... The real issue that it's just not possible or realistic to monitor the situation every minute of every day. It's all about timing and I can't get that to align thus far. Oh well, back to work again!

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Maybe... The real issue that it's just not possible or realistic to monitor the situation every minute of every day. It's all about timing and I can't get that to align thus far. Oh well, back to work again!

Well, I nearly spent $60 on three 50g tins, really don’t an ideal situation. I do have to praise how quickly they pack things, already have a tracking number...

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
there are already a number of blends that while different enough to notice I can honestly say are interchangeable to me.
I believe my palate isn't refined enough to 'get' the nuances of flavors others get from these difficult to obtain blends. I think that's why I don't seem to have the same desire to try to find them.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 27, 2020
I believe my palate isn't refined enough to 'get' the nuances of flavors others get from these difficult to obtain blends. I think that's why I don't seem to have the same desire to try to find them.

I might agree for certain things but the SG I hav ever tried are pretty distinct and sublime compared to a lot of the blends which are readily available.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I loaded up on Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes back in the summer of 2012. Between tins and bulk I ended u with about 38 pounds of all three. I received very little from the big guys, just mostly from small mom and pops. Yhe last SG tins I have bought were aged tins from pipestud. stuff like 2004 fvf, 3008 Best Brown, 2008 and 2010 Golden Glow stuff like that. Now that his prices have gone through the roof, I don't buy any more aged SG products, I have plenty and am very happy where my cellar stands.

Jan 27, 2020
it's a skill not so much a talent. It can be cultivated.

Yes, I also believe the beginner’s pallet often is more developed than one gives it credit. It didn’t take me long to understand my tastes don’t necessarily run concurrent with things that are well reviewed by those who have been smoking 20+ years. I know people who have been eating all their life and still think Sizzler is good food.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, I also believe the beginner’s pallet often is more developed than one gives it credit. It didn’t take me long to understand my tastes don’t necessarily run concurrent with things that are well reviewed by those who have been smoking 20+ years. I know people who have been eating all their life and still think Sizzler is good food.
Sizzler is good food at least when you compare it to that style of restaurant that you'll find around here.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Right. I don’t think it’s the palate causing issues for most beginners, just lack of technique. It all tastes pretty similar (i e burnt) if you smoke hot/fast. If that’s not happening, then there’s no reason for a new pipe smoker to not be able to appreciate different blends.

Just for the record, I’ve never been to a Sizzler, so I ain’t got a dog in that fight! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.