PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Right. I don’t think it’s the palate causing issues for most beginners, just lack of technique. It all tastes pretty similar (i e burnt) if you smoke hot/fast. If that’s not happening, then there’s no reason for a new pipe smoker to not be able to appreciate different blends.

Just for the record, I’ve never been to a Sizzler, so I ain’t got a dog in that fight! ?

Also, I think once the beginner gets down technique they quickly begin to understand what’s they like, a bit like wine although they might not be able to employ the various adjectives, the most annoying and overused to me is the comparison to “stone fruit”.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
We don't have Waffle Houses closest we got is IHOP. Which if I recall is like a Waffle House but not nearly as good.
We have both WH and IHOP. WH for the win. All Star with eggs over medium, toast, hash browns (scattered, smothered, diced, and peppered), country ham, and pecan waffle. And the best coffee at any chain restaurant. IHOP can’t even touch it.

Jan 27, 2020
We have both WH and IHOP. WH for the win. All Star with eggs over medium, toast, hash browns (scattered, smothered, diced, and peppered), country ham, and pecan waffle. And the best coffee at any chain restaurant. IHOP can’t even touch it.

It’s nearly impossible for me to avoid the double carb combo of hash browns and pecan waffle when at a WH.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I’ve only been at this a year and a half, and I’ve already seen fads.
Yes, I haven't been a full time "piper" for very much longer than you and I've seen the sharp increase in overcellaring, Frog related madness, the fall of Latakia, the rise of the limited edition blend, the Gawiths becoming unicorns, the advent of hipster boutique blenders, and the pendulum swings of cake popularity.

Jan 27, 2020
Yes, I haven't been a full time "piper" for very much longer than you and I've seen the sharp increase in overcellaring, Frog related madness, the fall of Latakia, the rise of the limited edition blend, the Gawiths becoming unicorns, the advent of hipster boutique blenders, and the pendulum swings of cake popularity.

I read the forum in a very sporadic way and was a bit surprised to read twice in this thread that Latakia is out of vogue... before anyone decides to donate theirs to the Salvation Army please PM me.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

What is this "overcellaring"? Hoosier and chasingembers told me I needed 400Lbs..

I'm pretty sure, due to my age and consumption.. I probably need at least a ton.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Latakia gets a bad rep because most take the step from aromatics to Latakia and sit there for a while. When all the Germain stuff was available, and Pease and Hermit were the old steady made in Morgantown standbys, there was lots to talk and be happy about.
But that generation of new smoker inevitably moved on - some to Mc C Virginias, some to Lakelands, and all the while the Latakia buzz faded as a result of the new chatter (from the same old boys) about how awesome their new flavor of the internet was.
I think so many cigar groupies coming to pipes in the late 90’s helped make Latakia what it was. It still seems to me to be the logical step, taste wise.

Jan 27, 2020
Latakia gets a bad rep because most take the step from aromatics to Latakia and sit there for a while. When all the Germain stuff was available, and Pease and Hermit were the old steady made in Morgantown standbys, there was lots to talk and be happy about.
But that generation of new smoker inevitably moved on - some to Mc C Virginias, some to Lakelands, and all the while the Latakia buzz faded as a result of the new chatter (from the same old boys) about how awesome their new flavor of the internet was.
I think so many cigar groupies coming to pipes in the late 90’s helped make Latakia what it was. It still seems to me to be the logical step, taste wise.

I had Sutliff’s Crumble Kake English #1 in the first few months of my pipe career and loved it...

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Shhhhhh. ?

C'mon, JP, we all know latakia sucks.

Reactions: jpberg
Status
Not open for further replies.