PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone,

I got an email from Bruce’s wife, Mavie, telling me that he has passed away.

As you may know, Bruce A. Cahn, aka Foggymountain on this forum, was the resident Dunhill expert. He sold Dunhill pipes several decades ago and he had amassed a vast collection of Dunhills.

In 2018, Bruce decided to quit pipe smoking and started selling off his Dunhills. Many of you may now own one of his pipes. In addition, Bruce was an artist, and did paintings, watercolors, gouaches, and photographs. Mavie is currently photographing them to possibly make a website showcasing his art.

I would love to hear your stories about Bruce if you knew him.

Wow, this is terrible to hear. I have merely known him from the forum. So, I don't have any great stories, except that I remember that shortly after I joined up here, he posted that someone had left a note on his apartment door complaining about his pipesmoking. It was a lively thread, and Brian even gave it a shout out on the radioshow. I really hate hearing this. His spirit will be missed.
1583333412882.png

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Very Sorry to hear this, prayers for him and his family. how old was Bruce? Was his illness smoking related?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bruce and I would email each other, he asked me about his move out of the city. After the move he had let his drivers license expire and without his wife at the home he didn’t know what he would do, he sent me a pipe, asked about a vechile that was rellable, told him my daughter had a Ford Expedition with over 200,000 Miles on it. He was in a quandary, no drivers license, couldn’t get around. I told him Drive the damn thing Bruce, if they stop you mumble like a senile old ?, they will let you go. He called me later and thanked me, he was driving into town, observing the speed limit and driving safe like I told him. Every once in a while I got a naked lady in the mail, moziac drawings, we would bullshit about his camera shop, the World, NY City, I was the sounding board. He was a decent man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a big foggy mountain fan. Sorry, spell check won't let me run it together. I rarely PM'ed him or communicated directly otherwise, but I often referenced him in posts on Dunhills and other subjects. He was a real artist, that is, not artsy, but crusty and opinionated, like most of the pros I know. At one point he bought a high end Mercedes with many bells and whistles, which I was sad to learn he sold out of frustrations with the technology, and boy could I identify with that. A wonderful aspect of his biography was that, as a teenager, he worked in one of the major Manhattan pipe shops and sold Dunhills and Kaywoodies, back when Kaywoodie was the primo pipe and cost more than Dunhill. I've long known that foggy's health was declining, but he kept up his interest in life and was always spirited if thorny in his posts. I was never sure if he considered me an acquaintance or an annoyance, but that's okay. I sure enjoyed knowing him through Forums.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I knew Foggy mostly through the forums and always found him a helpfully matter of fact voice at PM. He wasn't given to hyperbole, just the facts, Up ot a few uears ago, when he had bo give up smoking Foggy was one of the main, and most respected, voices at PM.
Forggy's knowledge regarding his beloved Dunhills was impressive as was his pleasure in them. Foggy had an equally impressively long smoking career, IIRC, starting the year before I was born, back when Truman was President. So I'm guessing he was well into his eighties or nineties, unless he started smoking in his crib.
One of my few direct dealings with him occurred over some McClelland Bombay Court. Bombay Court was Foggy's favorite blend, and he stockpiled shelves of it. I tired it and decided it just wasn't for me. So I contacted Foggy and sent him the tins, for which he thanked me.
RIP Foggy

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I stumbled across a picture feed of his a few months ago. I cane across it from a picture of his smoking area he posted once. There must have been hundreds and hundreds of artwork, pipes, outdoor photos. Was pretty fascinating to scroll through....