Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah, that's too bad, sorry to hear that news. I called him the last time I was in NY and it went to voicemail.

Back in 2012, Bruce had posted about living in NYC and acquiring his holy grail pipe - a gold bulldog capped Dunhill. I was going into the city for the NYC pipe club and PM'd Bruce if he wanted to join me. He declined, said he wasn't much of a group/club guy but offered to meet me at a Chelsea bar near his apartment. I have picture of us somewhere. To say he was a character, or eccentric would have been an understatement....but he was pleasant enough and seemed harmless. Although when I showed my wife his picture, she wasn't happy I was hanging out with total strangers, who has some resemblance to the Uni-bomber. She doesn't know pipe smokers, we are harmless! Bruce told me about his career as a photographer, camera shop owner and painter (with a specialty in nudes). He invited me to his apartment that night, but I politely declined. I remember he gave me some vintage tobacco, which I shared at the club meeting later that night.

We shared a love of British motorcycles (I had two Triumph's at the time) and he had quite a few tales of owning a bike in NYC, which was his only mode of transportation in the 1960's as a young man.

When he moved to Woodstock, he was a lot happier. I stopped and saw him several times over the last few years. He showed me his pipe and tobacco collection (about 500 tins of Bombay!) He said in Woodstock, he fit in, and no one made fun of his appearance as apparently happened in NYC. (Woodstock is exactly as you might imagine!) I met his wife and several of his "models", who would come up from the city to pose for him. His paintings were all over the house, some quite large and very risque.

Bruce was definitely one of a kind, and as they say, "they don't make them like that anymore". I was glad to have known him, a raised pipe.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
You are correct ssjones and Jesse; Bruce loved Bombay Court and from what I recall he once said that he could smoke that blend for the rest of his life.

His wife sent me some photo memories of her and Bruce today, and like you said, his house is filled with art that I would not be able to post here. He also owned a camera shop in the past called Bruce’s Field Camera Store.

Some interesting pipe related-things about Bruce: He claimed that the 21st century Dunhills were the best pipes they ever produced (you can dig into his post history to find this), and I believe they made up the bulk of his Dunhill collection. He also claimed that the black shells were the worst smoking Dunhills. I personally cannot tell a difference.

As far as his age, he must have been somewhere in his mid to late 80s. We wish he could have stuck around longer.

E9C8B481-10D9-4077-BB5F-C8166591C3D2.jpeg

Hunter dave

Might Stick Around
Feb 22, 2020
Dillsboro indiana
Hi Everyone,

I got an email from Bruce’s wife, Mavie, telling me that he has passed away.

As you may know, Bruce A. Cahn, aka Foggymountain on this forum, was the resident Dunhill expert. He sold Dunhill pipes several decades ago and he had amassed a vast collection of Dunhills.

In 2018, Bruce decided to quit pipe smoking and started selling off his Dunhills. Many of you may now own one of his pipes. In addition, Bruce was an artist, and did paintings, watercolors, gouaches, and photographs. Mavie is currently photographing them to possibly make a website showcasing his art.

I would love to hear your stories about Bruce if you knew him.
His family has all my sympathy , god bless him

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 8, 2013
This is a shame. Sorry to hear it. My condolences to his friends and family. We've lost a few members over the last few years now. May they all rest in peace with a pipe full of their favorite tobacco.

whitebar

Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
This is really sad news. I purchased a Dunhill 4110 Crosby shape from him a few years and it is a great pipe. I think I'll go load that pipe with some thirteen year old FVF in his memory.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
RIP Foggy!.................. We used to PM back and forth about bluegrass music.......... I never met him in person, but, oh what a personality he had.............. Gonna smoke some Bombay Court now, and look at naked lady paintings.............. :)

He wasn't much for modern music, but I hipped him to Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, Lucinda Williams, and one of the coolest radio stations left (Independent station), Woodstock 100.1, which he seemed to enjoy.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

...sad news indeed. May he rest in peace.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
DId you meet him at Peter McManus?
Bruce never had interest in going anywhere. I think in NYC, he stayed sequestered in his apartment. "RadioBob" on the old format and on the Brothers of Briar went to Bruce's place a couple of times, but I never had the time. (and didn't know him that well at that time)

Jan 27, 2020
Bruce never had interest in going anywhere. I think in NYC, he stayed sequestered in his apartment. "RadioBob" on the old format and on the Brothers of Briar went to Bruce's place a couple of times, but I never had the time. (and didn't know him that well at that time)

Oh, that looked like this old pub Peter McManus in the background that’s in Chelsea. It’s one of the few bars I would imagine a person like himself tolerating in that neighborhood.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Once again a proof to the value of this forum and the relationships struck in the threads. Reading everyone’s connections and memories of foggy serve as reasons to crack a smile despite the sad turn of events. May he rest peacefully and condolences to all those impacted by this loss.