PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

peacepiper85

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I got an email from Bruce’s wife, Mavie, telling me that he has passed away.

As you may know, Bruce A. Cahn, aka Foggymountain on this forum, was the resident Dunhill expert. He sold Dunhill pipes several decades ago and he had amassed a vast collection of Dunhills.

In 2018, Bruce decided to quit pipe smoking and started selling off his Dunhills. Many of you may now own one of his pipes. In addition, Bruce was an artist, and did paintings, watercolors, gouaches, and photographs. Mavie is currently photographing them to possibly make a website showcasing his art.

I would love to hear your stories about Bruce if you knew him.
Did not know him but sad to lose a brother of the briar!

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...I'll second the motion on how level and factual foggy was, that gave him a gravitas and credibility. I tended to believe what he said as more than just opinion, hard won observations. I really liked and enjoyed his posts.

Reactions: BROBS

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Bruce's sell off of his "first generation" aged ODF tins was the "a-ha" moment where I finally understood the benefits of aging.

When I bought the tins, he mentioned, generally, that he was selling off pipes and to ask him, if interested.

I told him I'd be interested in having one of his pipes and if he had a $25 pipe laying around, to add it to the tobacco purchase.

After he scolded me and proclaimed he had no $25 pipes, he sold me a Hilson Vintage Panel for that price, which has become a cherished VaPer smoker. As a clueless "noob", I really appreciated that pipe.

1583365222286.png

Because of that experience, I just yesterday picked up two Hilson Vintage estates on that damned auction site.

RIP, foggymountain. Thanks for sharing with us.

1583365211222.jpeg