Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Here's my daily, a silver-plated Line 1 shorty with a Pipe-Flame nozzle:
P1070171 (2).JPG

Please do not post your counterfeit Line 2 Talls here!
If you have a Line 2 Tall to post, please include a clear pic of the bottom:
P1060559.JPG

Feel free to add pics of your own S.T. Dupont lighters to the thread, & enjoy!

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Good to see you here. You did three repairs for me a year ago. They're still working like a charm!
Hey, how's it going?
I still have some pics of yours:
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
At this point, the two on the right still had worn lid-stop pads, allowing the lids to open too far, so they all were replaced/upgraded before being shipped back. I don't seem to have final pics showing off the open lids, so feel free to post some up. Glad to hear that they are still doing well for you!

Jun 9, 2018
England
I had my eye on the Montgolfière exclusive and at $300,000 I thought it was a bargain. The 5 month lead time didn't put me off it was the fact it was a cigar lighter and not a pipe lighter that ultimately swayed me not to go ahead with the purchase.
Shame as the jewel encrusted mechanical hot-air balloon the lighter is encased in would've looked lovely on my kitchen table next to my chipped teapot.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
@greeneyes I found some pics of yours during the lid stop pad upgrade:
Left is upgraded, right is not.
Here they are again below, but the right (now middle) one has also been upgraded.
I don't have pics of the one on the right after upgrade, but it more or less matched the other two afterwards. =)
:LOL: Yeah! Amazing work. I'm still using the gas adapter you made too. Once back in 1995 (I think) I sent the monogrammed one to an "official" S.T. Dupont repair. I can't remember how much I paid back then but I can tell you when it came back to me it was in exactly the same shape as it left. They did nothing to the lid. Yours was a complete tear-down and refurbish from top to bottom.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Ya I’ll admit mine is a knock off that was $25 on fleabay, but it works. I have a hard time justifying buying a fancy lighter when the end is nye! Tobacco apocalypse is upon us!!!!! Hoard, hoard, hoard... ?
I bought two of mine as non-working "for parts only" lighters for ~$10 each in the hopes that I'd find someone to fix them for an affordable rate (or learn to fix them myself). Altogether each cost less than half of the cheapest Corona Old Boy lighter.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Nice!!! I wonder if that's black lacquer...
Thanks! If I had to guess, I'd say it's flat black enamel paint, all done at the factory. I had to touch it up a bit since some of it disappeared during my refresh, & I used what I had on hand, some flat black water-based acrylic as a temporary solution, but it seems to be sticking well enough to be at least semi-permanent.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I need a pipe flame Dupont! Very nice. Been looking for one. I was thinking of having one of my Line 2's converted, but I had a bad experience with an authorized repair shop a few years ago. Luckily it was not regarding one of my line 2's, but an old Dupont that I picked up because it happened to have my initial's on it.

Anyone know of a good Line 2 gas adaptor that works and that I can buy today? My old screw in adaptor seems to be finally failing (gas goes everywhere but into the lighter) and the replacement I bought (does not screw in) does not seem to work (could be me I guess, but.) Btw, I have a Shaman 2, Opus X Fuente 2 (older black one), and a paladium lines 2.

Last edited:

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
...an old Dupont that I picked up..., a Shaman 2, Opus X Fuente 2 (older black one), and a paladium lines 2.
Cool, feel free to post pics of yours here in the owners club!

I need a pipe flame Dupont! Very nice. Been looking for one. I was thinking of having one of my Line 2's converted, but I had a bad experience with an authorized repair shop a few years ago.

Factory-Authorized shops should still be able to offer support for your Line 2, so they are going to be your best bet if you want a Pipe-Flame nozzle installed. They're tricky to do on the Line 2s without causing damage, so if you were to ask me, I would suggest sending it to a Factory-Authorized servicer. Maybe pick a different one if you had a bad time with the last one. You should be able to go to the Dupont website & search for more servicers based on your location. Depending on what they can do on-site, they'll either do it, or they'll send it to the factory to be done.

My old screw in adaptor seems to be finally failing (gas goes everywhere but into the lighter) and the replacement I bought (does not screw in) does not seem to work.
Most of the non-threaded metal adapters won't work with L2, despite being listed as such. Unless you got the cone-shaped one & also have another plastic adapter to fit that to your can tightly, it's going to leak when filling.
If you have a good L2 threaded adapter that suddenly started to leak, you might need a new rubber seal at the bottom &/or top of the adapter, depending on what you have exactly, & depending on where exactly the gas is leaking from when you try to fill it.
Also possible is that the rubber seal surrounding the L2 fill-valve stem on the lighter itself might be failing. This will cause also leaking when filling.

puffy

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Thank you!! -Thought I would never get those questions answered as it's hard to find knowledgeable Dupont people.

I'll probably just buy an older working angled Dupont and have you overhaul it. Still enjoy cigars with friends so I use them for that. Any opinions on Line D's? Never owned one. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: EA-6B

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Thank you!! -Thought I would never get those questions answered as it's hard to find knowledgeable Dupont people.

I'll probably just buy an older working angled Dupont and have you overhaul it. Still enjoy cigars with friends so I use them for that. Any opinions on Line D's? Never owned one. Thanks again.

I never got into the Line Ds, I'm familiar with L1s with the barrel adjuster, & L2s. The Pipe-Flame works pretty well for cigars. I have a bunch of customers who run a Pipe-Flame for cigars & pipes. But, I don't take in other peoples lighters.

What a great thread--thank you, EA-6B! Your meticulous repair/restoration work looks terrific. My own ligne 1 large Duponts are all daily workhorses which have worked reliably for years (although my D57--shown open--definitely needs new seals to fix a slow leak). View attachment 49023
Nice, nice! Those L2 table lighters with no lid-pins are tricky to work on.
I like the silver-plating & those patterns. I run my L1 every day & it's super-reliable even with wear on it, & I don't baby it.

Reactions: jttnk

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I could never bring myself to buy one, but love that ping!
I doubt I'll ever buy one brand-new at retail, but there's good value out there if you know what to avoid on the pre-owned market. I got tired of spending nearly as much, but not getting nearly as much, in terms of other brands. Although right now, Covid has made it tougher to find deals. The "ping" is an L2 thing, the L1s usually make more of a brass "klink" sound when opening. Still pleasing, & the ease of the L1 on-the-fly one-handed flame adjustment more than makes up for it in my book.