Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I actually
You can probably get at least $100 for it "As-Is - Leaking" on ebay. Having an authentic box helps the price. Condition of the lighter is key.

You could get it rebuilt through a factory-authorized servicer & even have a Pipe-Flame nozzle installed, but if you ask anyone who talks to me about it, they will tell you that I generally don't recommend the Line2s for pipe-smoking, mainly due to the bothersome flame-adjustment d-ring on the bottom of the Line2s. For me, it is an interruption to have to deal with the Line2 style flame-adjuster. It's a two-handed job. You have to pick out the d-ring. Good luck keeping the flame lit while doing all of this.

I go with a Line1 with the barrel-style flame adjustment. It's an easy, one-handed flame adjustment, even while lit. Much better for pipes, & there's a Pipe-Flame nozzle for them, as long it's the updated Line1 with the barrel-style flame adjuster.

Here's my latest Line1 acquisition, a silver-plated Line1 Tall with an "8-way flip" pyramid pattern. This one is going to be a shelf-queen =) :
View attachment 148538
?????
I actually bought it when i was a cigarette smoker, never thought of using it for a pipe, not sure why i would want to sell a $1100 lighter for 100 bucks lol, i have thought about sending it in and paying to have it rebuilt, well worth whatever they charge I'm sure. :)

Teabee

Lurker
Jul 6, 2022
Hey all, just came across this thread whilst trying to gather some info on this lighter.
It belonged to my grandfather and was actually in a pile of stuff to throw out! I’m not sure how to go about filling it up or if it needs any maintenance. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.
thanks
Tom

Attachments

• 82ADE4A9-EEB0-43FF-B7C8-BD2682A0735D.jpeg
    82ADE4A9-EEB0-43FF-B7C8-BD2682A0735D.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 83FC753E-B659-4C5C-8B12-EE8B49C48174.jpeg
    83FC753E-B659-4C5C-8B12-EE8B49C48174.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 21
  • 82C6F61F-3943-4F50-967C-40E40F8D0A21.jpeg
    82C6F61F-3943-4F50-967C-40E40F8D0A21.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 19
  • ECA2C461-BA6B-40F1-AA78-E292580CCFC0.jpeg
    ECA2C461-BA6B-40F1-AA78-E292580CCFC0.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: EA-6B
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Hey all, just came across this thread whilst trying to gather some info on this lighter.
It belonged to my grandfather and was actually in a pile of stuff to throw out! I’m not sure how to go about filling it up or if it needs any maintenance. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.
thanks
Tom
Teabee,
are y'all able to turn the thumb wheel? Is smooth as a baby's butt! Where's the splines/knurrling?

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah no splines or knurling to speak of! Can spin it ok. Has a good spark too.
You have now come to the moment of truth--which is to say fill it and see if it works. The only potential issue, insofar as I know, is whether it holds gas or leaks. Normally, a Dupont with good seals will perform happily for a month or two (or more) with daily use.

Dupont (like Dunhill) has always very strongly encouraged owners to use ONLY their branded flints and gas--which in Dupont's case has always been somewhat SPECIFIC to individual models, AND expensive.

Until 4-5 years ago, Dupont made individual, color-coded cartridges for a single filling (about the size of a CO2) with just the right quantity of gas, that screwed very solidly into the bottom of your lighter. It could be a frustrating ritual to coax all the gas to actually migrate into the lighter. But it could be done. (Putting your lighter in the freezer for ten minutes, whilst warming the cartridge in your hand, gave you a decent shot).

Unfortunately, about three years ago, they dumbed down their line of gas products. And here, I too, would be grateful if anyone here knows the trick to getting a full refill.

Now Dupont gas remains insanely expensive and "color" coded--I believe your lighter is a "Line 2" and takes a yellow gas refill-- but their new gas canisters do NOT screw in, and at least for me that is a fatal problem for getting more than a couple of days worth of gas in the lighter.

So, if anyone expert about the current Dupont gas can chime in here, that would be a big help.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
You have now come to the moment of truth--which is to say fill it and see if it works. The only potential issue, insofar as I know, is whether it holds gas or leaks. Normally, a Dupont with good seals will perform happily for a month or two (or more) with daily use.

Dupont (like Dunhill) has always very strongly encouraged owners to use ONLY their branded flints and gas--which in Dupont's case has always been somewhat SPECIFIC to individual models, AND expensive.

Until 4-5 years ago, Dupont made individual, color-coded cartridges for a single filling (about the size of a CO2) with just the right quantity of gas, that screwed very solidly into the bottom of your lighter. It could be a frustrating ritual to coax all the gas to actually migrate into the lighter. But it could be done. (Putting your lighter in the freezer for ten minutes, whilst warming the cartridge in your hand, gave you a decent shot).

Unfortunately, about three years ago, they dumbed down their line of gas products. And here, I too, would be grateful if anyone here knows the trick to getting a full refill.

Now Dupont gas remains insanely expensive and "color" coded--I believe your lighter is a "Line 2" and takes a yellow gas refill-- but their new gas canisters do NOT screw in, and at least for me that is a fatal problem for getting more than a couple of days worth of gas in the lighter.

So, if anyone expert about the current Dupont gas can chime in here, that would be a big help.
The new 30ml canisters do indeed screw in, unless they were redesigned again.
Agreed that they are too expensive and averaging 5-8 refill per can, makes it almost cost prohibitive.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Guyless,
No expert here, but try lifting the lighter lid briefly during the re-fill, it might help your situation, ensuring zero pressure in the lighter from the off.
Of course, when the gas transfers from the cartridge to the lighter, also the pressure drops from the cartridge and increases in the lighter. I guess whatever is left in the cartridge can be considered Dupont's "profit".

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
155352-8c3df25bcea68969acce2e1d1bb6ecbe.jpg

Nice! The "pl" stamping on the bottom means that it is plated with Palladium.

I use minimum 5x-filtered butane, not made in China, & an appropriate adapter. Good enough for me for years & gets me away from the factory gas.

Dealer locator is on the Dupont website in order to contact your closest dealer for help with coordinating a factory rebuild, if needed.

Reactions: Teabee

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
The new 30ml canisters do indeed screw in, unless they were redesigned again.
From what I've gathered from not-particularly-helpful online videos (official and otherwise) the Yellow refills are threaded like the old canisters, but not the new Red ones. See eg:

CF:

This makes no sense to me. Indeed, a couple of days ago I used one of my few remaining old style refills on an empty Line One (large) and it worked flawlessly. All of which rather begs the question of quite what Dupont has in mind by keeping their old color codes.

PS. . . Mystery is apparently solved--On their official website Dupont now lists YELLOW as the correct refill for Line One (rather the two different new "red" one they sell). Could anything be more (needlessly) confusing?

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I never used Dupont gas in my lighters. I bought good butane and there was always one attachment that fit perfectly and I never had to deal with those stupid cartridge's.
I did this as well. Always had horrible luck with the cartridges,;one wrong turn and the cartridge was shot.
Do we have anyone here that still breaks them down and works the repair kit magic on them? I’m sure the seals and everything is shot on mine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I did this as well. Always had horrible luck with the cartridges,;one wrong turn and the cartridge was shot.
Do we have anyone here that still breaks them down and works the repair kit magic on them? I’m sure the seals and everything is shot on mine.
Wish I could help you with a repair guy. I have never had a Dupont give me a lick of trouble. I also had enough to rotate them on consistent basis.

Reactions: AJL67

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
There were always a couple of secret tricks to fill a Dupont with the old cartridges--like chilling your lighter in the freezer for a few minutes. But almost all the time, you could get the lighter fully filled, with zero waste, and use it daily for at least a couple of months.

I cannot say I am having great luck with the new, exorbitantly priced 3-5 fill canisters--either red or yellow--neither of which seems an especially good fit to the threaded gas valve of large ligne One lighters, although both are variously recommended on different websites including the manufacturer and various long time authorized Dupont vendors.

As for routine service--replacing seals and cleaning--the default choice in the US--now located in Henderson, NC but which used to based in midtown Manhattan--is ARS.

They weren't cheap but from what I've heard over the years usually do a decent job of it with anything that not too old--and guaranteed work for a year.

From what I can tell most really first rate hobbyists who work on Duponts recondition lighters they've bought cheaply for resale. How open any of them might be to doing repair work is hard to guess.

Reactions: AJL67

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Since switching to the pipe nozzle, i have noticed a drastic uptake of soot along the mechanism. I basically am cleaning the ligghter every fill. i usually use some damp q tips, and whatever that wont take off ill use a dab of Flitz. Is there something i can apply that might make taking the soot off a bit easier? I have to wait until its empty, as gas escapes when the lid is off.

I am using a Ligne 2

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I've never owned a Ligne 2, but with the Ligne 1 model the gas can be cut off when you change flint (a clever design feature of the latch). I frequently clean the nozzles of my Duponts between refills, and this makes it easy to avoid losing its precious super refined fuel.

Reactions: LotusEater

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Dug it out while packing to move, still needs a rebuild so it’s tops on the list when i get settled in my new place, it will hold gas …. For about an hour 😂

FDEAC5CE-3D02-46A2-AE8E-EEAAB626A4BD.jpeg643D1268-D652-4CC3-9DD5-A60D561DBEB9.jpeg