PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Remember when Gawith & Hoggarth was available on demand? Seems like so long ago.

I was cleaning my VW bug and chuckled about the ashtray in the back seat side panels - first that people used to fit back there and then because of course they would have a cigarette whilst riding along.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Interesting this came up.

thinking about a bbq on the 4th. When I was a kid my grandparents would have parties. And ash trays were placed out. It was never a second thought that people would be smoking. I was invited to a party and contemplated bringing a cigar. Then, I thought I would be the one inconveniencing the party and possibly making people uncomfortable.

now, I think it’s better overall that I don’t have to smell cigarette smoke everywhere, but it does make me like back nostalgically.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I remember when I was in the Air Force during the 80s-90s and smoke breaks were the norm and a pack of smokes at the BX were under $0.50 each. Now they cost the same as at a convince store. Now they make you stand in a 4’x4’ box out in the parking lot and pressure you to hurry the hell up and get back to work!

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
it was allowed to smoke at your work place,or at a mall or restaurant. The idea that we were once permitted to smoke in these places is now incompresible to me now. It seems so long ago
I didn't care about workplace smoking, as I just thought it was part of what some people needed in order to do their jobs. There was a guy at my first job whose entire office was covered with butts and ash - I couldn't have imagined him getting any work done without cigarettes. I bet these days he takes a smoke break every ten minutes. We had a pipe smoker when I worked at Frontier Airlines back in the early 1980's, right before I took up pipe-smoking. You never heard a single complaint from anyone.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I remember going with some colleagues to a nearby Italian restaurant after work, the night before the smoking ban took effect. I was seated at the bar while waiting or our table, and the bartender asked me where was my pipe. I said it was in my coat pocket and she asked me to please light it up because it would be the last night and she always loved the scent of pipe smoke. So I obliged her and enjoyed a short smoke before we were seated.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I remember in the bars or discos, there was a thick fog, we drank like sponges, and with the sound of the music so loud, we tried to communicate or flirt with the girls, but we practically spat at each other. I have to say, though, that most of the tobacco was stinky cigarettes, and not what we smoke here. I also remember, in television programs, seeing the commentators smoking, smoking a pipe or a cigar. This is ancient history.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
it was allowed to smoke at your work place,or at a mall or restaurant. The idea that we were once permitted to smoke in these places is now incompresible to me now. It seems so long ago
Even though I work for a major World wide company, my location is a one man fleet shop. I am many times the only person at place so, I get to puff on my pipe all day long while repairing equipment ?

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Remember when Gawith & Hoggarth was available on demand? Seems like so long ago.

I was cleaning my VW bug and chuckled about the ashtray in the back seat side panels - first that people used to fit back there and then because of course they would have a cigarette whilst riding along.
There was a VW beetle commercial back in the early 70s where the entire NY Knick starting 5 emerged from the car. It was hilarious and I never quite figured out how they did it