Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
it was allowed to smoke at your work place,or at a mall or restaurant. The idea that we were once permitted to smoke in these places is now incompresible to me now. It seems so long ago
One of my earliest memories was being taken to the Dr’s with a hacking cough. The surgery was avocado green and Dr Dey smoked a pipe. He must’ve been in his 60’s or even 70’s then; he was the third Dr Dey that the village had had and I think his grandson became the fifth eventually.
I’m not suggesting this was a common thing in the early 1980’s, maybe it was more common in sleepy little villages in West Yorkshire than in the cities, but it has passed into family folklore and my Mum still comments on it when the opportunity arises. She still seems to be shocked by it, even after all these years.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
personally I prefer most of these environments being smoke free. In my opinion not being able to smoke is less of forcing ones will on others then forcing non smokers to deal with our smoke. That said I think some aspects of the smoking ban are too far, but in general why should others be forced to deal with my smoke in an enclosed space (especially if they're working).

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
I beleive JAL (Japanese Airlines) was one of the last, if not THE last airline to stop smoking onboard.
Oh, and yes I do.
You are correct, I flew to Japan a lot and JAl and ANA were the last to ban smoking on flights.
In the late seventies I smoked a pipe in my office, two others smoke cigarettes and pipes in their offices, and we worked, Drum roll, in a hospital,,,,
cheers

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
fun fact it's not that hard to get an exemption to the bans here. But most places either don't bother or prefer blaming the regulations. Like it's really easy to get one, you basically ask and say you'll clearly label that the place is smoke friendly.
I agree. I remember being in bars when I was maybe 20 and so much cig smoke my eyes were burning like hell. After a while, couldn’t take it and have to leave!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree. I remember being in bars when I was maybe 20 and so much cig smoke my eyes were burning like hell. After a while, couldn’t take it and have to leave!
And that doesn't include having to clean up after it and damages to business property. And maybe even liability knowing how insurance companies love to come up with excuses to bleed more money.

SMOKER110

Lurker
Sep 4, 2021
During the 1960's I never felt under any restraint. I smoked where I wanted when I wanted. I smoked a pipe when I was 16 or so years old (1960's) because my Father showed me how. I thought puffing a pipe was the way to smoke, and did I puff. I started smoking cigarettes too. I did that for a number of years. I remember smoking cigarettes (late 70's- early 80's) at work. etc. I quit after my boss quit.
About 30 years ago I started pipe smoking again and am still smoking and am still learning how to smoke. I only smoke at home, rarely outside (a lot of dry desert) and never away from home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The most sick i ever got on nicotine was when I was a non-smoking recent high school grad taking a Greyhound bus from Chicago to Ft. Myers, Fla. People were smoking cigarettes by the carton it seemed. I'd get out at the rest stops and try to walk it off, and had to walk around a few blocks before I called to be picked up by my aunt and cousin.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
In the 90s I worked in a fab shop with lots of cutting, grinding and welding as a daily norm. I recall a guy welding a big steel project at the far end of the shop with this epic metal frying, sparking, billowing clouds of weld smoke that just went on and on and on. And just when you were convinced that no living person could emerge from that maelstrom of smoke and fire, out popped a guy named (I kid you not!) Skeeter with a stubby cigar in his jaw - it was billowing smoke the entire time from under his welding hood! ?

Smoking inside the hood inside a billowing cloud of weld smoke. Priceless!

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The most sick i ever got on nicotine was when I was a non-smoking recent high school grad taking a Greyhound bus from Chicago to Ft. Myers, Fla. People were smoking cigarettes by the carton it seemed. I'd get out at the rest stops and try to walk it off, and had to walk around a few blocks before I called to be picked up by my aunt and cousin.

Working for the airlines in the 80's, I would frequently fly non-rev to Europe, sitting in the very back with the smokers. I wasn't crazy about it, but no problem. I would much rather sit between two smokers, than two people with B.O.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some years ago my plane was delayed for some hours.
I thought I'd pass an hour or so with a cigar.
Finally located the one and only smoking room at the airport.
Opened the door and reeled back from the fug and stench of cigarette smoke.
The room was so full of smoke you could only see 5ft past your nose.
My clothes reeked for hours from those few seconds of exposure.

Brought home to me why I quit cigarettes