PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I had one episode where I was in the hospital for a week and I was on a Demerol drip. Today you cannot get Demerol in a hospital as they only use Morphine and Dilaudid which sucks compared to Demerol.
Oh those were the days I remember them well. Got the stones in Mexico once couldn’t get anything from the Medico ,had to cut the trip short , luckily I knew A certain cabbie , I’ll just leave it at that , but I got back stateside and was on the drip in like 48 hours…

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I'm 45 and was at the tail end of the anything goes rules.
It always perplexed me as a youngin as to why my dad's suit smelled of smoke when he came home even though he didn't smoke.
Remember when teachers would come out of their lounge and when the door opened it looked like maybe Cheech was a new teacher.

The seating pits in the mall where you could smoke. Also the ashtrays in the halls of the hospital. Now, there it is not permitted anywhere on the entire campus.

Definitely don't miss the fake hacking coughs of the non smokers though. Early virtue signaling.

Reactions: vosBghos
Jan 27, 2020
Remember when you couldn't find your tobacco pipe because you spent too much time with the opium pipe and you woke up in some dank yet opulent ground level salon in Chinatown on a velvet chaise wearing embroidered silk pajamas clutching a collection of Byron's poetry?

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
Remember when you couldn't find your tobacco pipe because you spent too much time with the opium pipe and you woke up in some dank yet opulent ground level salon in Chinatown on a velvet chaise wearing embroidered silk pajamas clutching a collection of Byron's poetry?
?

• Haha
Reactions: vosBghos

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
One of my earliest memories was being taken to the Dr’s with a hacking cough. The surgery was avocado green and Dr Dey smoked a pipe. He must’ve been in his 60’s or even 70’s then; he was the third Dr Dey that the village had had and I think his grandson became the fifth eventually.
I’m not suggesting this was a common thing in the early 1980’s, maybe it was more common in sleepy little villages in West Yorkshire than in the cities, but it has passed into family folklore and my Mum still comments on it when the opportunity arises. She still seems to be shocked by it, even after all these years.
Interesting......as a 5 or 6yr old in the late 60'sI remember a few times sitting in the doctors in my village in the North East U.K.....and Dr. Peacock always had a large bent pipe (probably a Peterson) in his hand...........different times.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Interesting......as a 5 or 6yr old in the late 60'sI remember a few times sitting in the doctors in my village in the North East U.K.....and Dr. Peacock always had a large bent pipe (probably a Peterson) in his hand...........different times.
Certainly different times. Ah, I miss those kind of things that were taken for granted, like parking babies in prams outside the shop while mother went in to get some shopping - can you imagine that happening these days? There’d be uproar!
Regularly we used to get parked outside the Railway Arms with a bottle of lemonade and a bag of cheese and onion crisps to keep us quiet, until someone, or other, decided it was home time. ?‍♂️

There’d be national inquiries if someone did that now.

Reactions: northernpipeshed

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I remember when I was in the Air Force during the 80s-90s and smoke breaks were the norm and a pack of smokes at the BX were under $0.50 each. Now they cost the same as at a convince store. Now they make you stand in a 4’x4’ box out in the parking lot and pressure you to hurry the hell up and get back to work!
I remember onboard US Navy warships back in the day & the announcement over the intercom that ‘the smoking lamp was lit’ (you could smoke). I don’t think they do that nowadays.

Reactions: kurtbob