PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I've got a couple of IM Coronas but they're practically useless in the mildest of breezes. Out of the lot, the Zippo and Beattie are the most used.

View attachment 142720
I agree. Corona lighters are not great in the wind. I typically reserve them for indoor smoking at home. I use a bic out and about mostly. I had a nimrod sportsman for years, and they are a great option. Also, one of those doughboy lighters, I think they are for cigarettes mostly though.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
General thoughts on a “SOFT FLAME” as the OP hoped for:

1. In my opinion, there is no softer flame than from a match.

But, in regards to “softer flamed” lighters:

2. In my opinion, any Zippo is great.

3. A Nimrod is nearly as good as a Zippo, and has an especially interesting, quirky appearance that always is a conversation starter (if you are game for that sort of interaction).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have had good luck with Colibri and not too bank breaking either. But make sure you get a soft flame. And weirdly they seem to only make one or two models at a time. Or at least that I can find. My only issue is one mine no fuel gage though it's still got a days worth when you can tell it's starting to get low.

Reactions: JOHN72

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
My Thruppence:

Over the years i've used Zippos, Ligne 2 type, and Rollagas lighters.

The Imco 6700 Triplex Chinese remake made a fool of all of them and cost around $10.

Good in the wind, some have found this lighter takes more naptha than a zippo (EDC Forums), it's shorter than a bic, has an adjustable flame and extra flint storage.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
I haven’t been on here in a number of years, but have continued smoking a pipe. Just thought I’d take a look again as this was always a nice forum. I hope to stick around.

I own three Zippo pipe lighters, two of which are back at Zippo for repair. I’m using the new one I bought so I could send the two broken ones back. Picked up a Nimrod Sportsman and an Executive which I still have yet to try. Zippos have never failed me, unless they‘ve broken the lid spring or pin. Had some of the Chinese lighters which invariably clogged up even though I was using triple refined butane. Never again. One day I’ll get an Old Boy, barley engraved. Keep looking for a bargain on a used one.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 1, 2014
All of my solid copper faux Dupont lighters from AliExpress are top notch and the best lighters I've ever found (usually cost $30-$40).
(I would share a link but the last time I did that it got my favorite lighter store shut down.)

The Ligne 2 design keeps the lid far enough out of the way to be able to apply flame across all of my pipes up to 2" outside diameter, and given the heavy metal construction you can hold the flame over your pipe for quite a while before it heats up too much.

I would still just use a Bic but it usually takes longer than 10 seconds to get a pipe lit and that's way too long to be holding a flaming Bic.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I love my Kiribi Takara and my Faux Ponts (just in case, these Chinese made knock offs of DuPont lighters. They have worked and lasted two years plus. Zero complaints. eBay you can find them as ”memorial“ lighters.

Its sounds crazy, but I like the fact they are at least telling you it’s a fake. Not trying to scam the consumer. Having said that I realize the moral dilemma that it is still harming and ripping off DuPont.
I beg forgiveness.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Beattie Jet lighters are fun, but I'd not recommend them for a new smoker, and it's no good in wind, either.
Never an issue in the wind. More precise flame application than a Zippo pipe insert. Little to no risk of burning a rim unless you just hold the flame there, it's not a torch.

Reactions: JOHN72