PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Title edited and shortened.

My 3 month old Xikar Resolute lighter turned into a butane welding torch with 3” flame after 3 months of gas guzzleling use and paint didnt last after careful storage in a dedicated hip pocket .
Had high hopes for reliability but……
Sent Xikar a memo , don’t dare let out their phone number to speak to anyone to dicusss what they will do about it . They did send me a case number. Awwww
Is it back to matches ?
Means you probably need to purge it. Maybe not. I have 2 xikar lighters. The finish sucks but one of them has proven to be a very reliable car lighter for 3 years plus. I used to be a Kiribi fan but the 2 I had both crapped out recently in less than 2 years. My 2 IM Corona Pipemaster still going strong.

Moving forward, I’ll be buying IM Corona.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have an Old Boy and a Kiribi which are both great. Various zippos get used at different times. Most recently I got a Thunderbird pipe insert for Zippo that works just like the Zippos inserts but uses butane. It’s fantastic and wind resistant. I have the other one which works more like a Bic but don’t like that you have to leave your thumb on.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A wind, even a breeze, requires forethought. Takes practice. But, yeah, Zippos tolerate a breeze, even a wind when properly shielded by jacket, tree or whatever is available. This includes, if you want a light bad enouph, getting down on your knees, opening your coat and simply muddling through. Replace the wind cap, straighten your hat and march on, enjoying your pipe while cursing the elements. puffy

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Previously I used a Bic E-Z Reach. Then I switched to a Zippo pipe lighter, and found it much better outside. The other day the Zippo was out of reach, so I tried the Bic E-Z outside in just a gentle breeze. Not a happy camper. ☹️ Zippo for me!
The Bic E-Z Reach is decent for smoking in a garage. However, they aren't great in the wind and terrible in the cold (if you leave them in said garage).

I like my regular and pipe insert Zippo. However, I get frustrated at how quickly the fluid evaporates and annoyed at having to fill it regularly. Is there a cure for this ailment (the evaporation, not my temperament)?

My "go to" is the regular Bic. Cheap, dependable, lasts long, semi-durable in the wind. I was interested in the more luxury lighters (love the aesthetics and tamper/pick function of Old Boys), but don't think the looks justify the cost.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
The Bic E-Z Reach is decent for smoking in a garage. However, they aren't great in the wind and terrible in the cold (if you leave them in said garage).

I like my regular and pipe insert Zippo. However, I get frustrated at how quickly the fluid evaporates and annoyed at having to fill it regularly. Is there a cure for this ailment (the evaporation, not my temperament)?

My "go to" is the regular Bic. Cheap, dependable, lasts long, semi-durable in the wind. I was interested in the more luxury lighters (love the aesthetics and tamper/pick function of Old Boys), but don't think the looks justify the cost.
They do make a rubber gasket that goes over the felt pad in the bottom of the Zippo insert. Someone on this thread mentioned it, and I did see it a couple of days ago. they are on Amazon. I may just get them. I do have to say my newest Zippo, with the pipe insert, closes with almost no gap between the lid and body. It goes twice as long as my older ones did. I think they get loose as they get older and lose more fluid to evaporation. I have two at Zippo for repair and I will see if they come back better.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
They do make a rubber gasket that goes over the felt pad in the bottom of the Zippo insert. Someone on this thread mentioned it, and I did see it a couple of days ago. they are on Amazon. I may just get them. I do have to say my newest Zippo, with the pipe insert, closes with almost no gap between the lid and body. It goes twice as long as my older ones did. I think they get loose as they get older and lose more fluid to evaporation. I have two at Zippo for repair and I will see if they come back better.
I use the rubber gasket and only refill the Zippo once a week. It seems to always last the full week.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Folks, I bought a pack of 6 of those zippo rubber gaskets just to try it. I'm never going to use more than 2. If anyone is interested in trying one, send me a message and I'll throw one in the mail for you.

• Love
Reactions: edger
Mar 1, 2014
My Zippos are reliable, great in the wind, haven't burned a pipe yet, but I'm sure it could happen if someone isn't using it properly - my pipes aren't investments (but no reason to burn a rim if it can be avoided).

@Chasing Embers - I bought one of the unused, mint Beatties off eBay some time ago, but because of age I'm sure, the flints were a fine, powdery fairy dust, lol. What do you use for replacement flints? I need to put one in and fire it up!
On the subject of Flints, it costs about $4 for a bag of 100 flints on AliExpress.
Buy $20 worth of flints and you're practically set for life.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hairvise wrote: "Folks, I bought a pack of 6 of those zippo rubber gaskets just to try it. I'm never going to use more than 2. If anyone is interested in trying one, send me a message and I'll throw one in the mail for you."

Very nice. But I can't believe they can achieve 1/10 as much leakage prevention as sealing the lid. (Which would also cut way down on leakage from the bottom of the insert.

Last edited:
Reactions: ofafeather