PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How is the golden extra? I've had my eye on it but haven't tried it yet
Haven't tried it yet. It's a flake, so I'm assuming low burn rate --> long lasting bowl --> not convenient. I tried Mix 79 and wasn't particularly impressed: I think I can see why some don't like it.

Maybe I can try some Golden Extra between to-day and Sunday, God willing.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
What's wrong with it? How different was the previous packaging?

Previously it came in rectangular tins like the Samuel Gawith blends. Now it's packed like the 8oz Esotericas. The flakes sit in little plastic boxes which are then packed in this kind of Mylar material. Now that I examinated the packaging more accurately, I think it is not as bad, as I originally thought, as it seems to be packed airtight. Probably this packing method is very reliable, I just have to admit, that I personally like the tins more for aesthetic reasons. At the first glance, I thought this packing material would be the same as these pouch tobaccos like Amphora and Co.

Reactions: 3rdguy and Bowie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, I see, and while aesthetics are lacking, it'll probably store well.

Yeah, tins —nice ones that is, without all the dire warnings— are going the way of the Dodo bird. Damn!

Reactions: burleyboy

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I couldn't help myself so I put in an order for the following from smokingpipes.com:

Mac Baren Mixture: Scottish Blend 100g x1
Mac Baren Burley: London Blend 100g x2
Mac Baren Symphony 100g x2
Solani Silver Flake 100g x1
Sutliff 515 RC-1 8oz

Here's hoping that customs is sleeping on the job yet again.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Previously it came in rectangular tins like the Samuel Gawith blends. Now it's packed like the 8oz Esotericas. The flakes sit in little plastic boxes which are then packed in this kind of Mylar material. Now that I examinated the packaging more accurately, I think it is not as bad, as I originally thought, as it seems to be packed airtight. Probably this packing method is very reliable, I just have to admit, that I personally like the tins more for aesthetic reasons. At the first glance, I thought this packing material would be the same as these pouch tobaccos like Amphora and Co.
I’ve read some people saying the Esoterica bags don’t hold up long term. Just a heads up to keep an eye on them

Reactions: burleyboy and Elric
Status
Not open for further replies.