PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Man, Big Jim's just doesn't ring a bell. I remember well Valois and the beer shop on the other side of 53rd a block or two west, but not Big Jim's. I must have bought the Three Castles from somewhere though!
Do you recall Ciril's House of Tiki, a polynesian restaurant filled with puffer fish and tiki hut decor? It was a favorite hangout for UC students when I lived there.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mingc
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
You may have high taxes, but your tobacco taxes are amazingly low.

The state tax rate on smoking tobacco in IL is 36% of the Wholesale Price.

By comparision, Oregon, my lovely neighbor to the south, has a state tax rate of 65% of Wholesale Price.

The dungpile I reside... er Washington State, has a tax rate of 95% of wholesale price and it is a crime to order in from out of state.

Enjoy your B&M's! You are fortunate to have them and their prices are likely quite good.
Very true but it is easier and cheaper to slip over to Missouri and buy. they have the cheapest tax in all the US

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
When possible, I support my local brick and mortar. I have been going to Arlington Pipe and Cigar since I was 8 years old. My grandfather would send me into the shop with a note outlining his order. I bought my first cigar there once I was of age and later, purchased my first pipe there as well. I would like to visit Jon's Pipe Shop in St. Louis(?) but till Covid abates, local I shall stay.

Reactions: logs and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.