PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
For those brave enough to face the some of the highest sales taxes in the nation, Illinois has some of the best pipe shops.

1. We have Iwan Ries, the oldest tobacco shop in the nation. Great pipe and tobacco selection.
2. Arlington Pipe and Cigar Lounge, has over 300 pipes and tobaccos to chose from.
3. Jon's Pipe Shop, huge pipe selection (I have never visited, but I have been told that this place is awesome) .

There are several other venues that have respectable tobacco and pipes selections:
8 to 8 Cigar, The Wolfhound, La Vita, Uptown (?) smoke shop.......

Any others ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For those brave enough to face the some of the highest sales taxes in the nation, Illinois has some of the best pipe shops.

1. We have Iwan Ries, the oldest tobacco shop in the nation. Great pipe and tobacco selection.
2. Arlington Pipe and Cigar Lounge, has over 300 pipes and tobaccos to chose from.
3. Jon's Pipe Shop, huge pipe selection (I have never visited, but I have been told that this place is awesome) .

There are several other venues that have respectable tobacco and pipes selections:

Any others ?
Locations of #3 and those after? Are you upstate, downstate , West or middle?
I grew up in Livingston Co., 75 Miles SSW of Chicago.

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Right near the meth head selling crack rocks. ?

I apologize if you’re from there but man... what a crap town!!
No apology necessary. I live 20 miles east (30 minutes). Like any city, it has it's good and bad.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As an historical footnote, the near northwest suburb of Chicago, Park Ridge, had for about thirty years the Park Ridge Pipe Shop backed up to the then Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, commuter line to the city. Park Ridge abuts the Chicago neighborhood of Edison Park. The pipe shop had an array of pipes and blends and the proprietor was also a pipe carver as I recall. In the late 70's, it became a gathering place for counter culture kids, right across from the city hall and police station. I wasn't smoking a pipe at the time, but the place always intrigued me, if only for the scents it emitted. My father was an ardent pipe smoker for fifty years, but only visited it once or twice. Too fancy. Today Park Ridge has Gifts and Cigars, a shop which sells pipe tobacco and the cigars of its title. It is across the tracks and about two blocks uphill of where the pipe shop used to be.

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
The Chicago Pipe Collectors Club is working hard on creating an updated vendor list. This is a daunting task. There are many cigar shops that have a small selection of pipe tobacco/pipes, but few of these places can be considered true pipe shops.

Iwan Ries is in Chicago proper. Arlington Pipe & Cigar is in Arlington Heights (Northwest Burbs) Jon's is in Champaign and I think they have another store in St Louis.

I do remember the old pipe shop in Park Ridge as my father was a bus driver and I often had to go to work with him. We would visit the hobby shop down the street from the pipe store. The current store in Park Ridge, the "gift store" is a nice shop, but one is better served driving 20 minutes down Northwest Highway to Arlington.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You may have high taxes, but your tobacco taxes are amazingly low.

The state tax rate on smoking tobacco in IL is 36% of the Wholesale Price.

By comparision, Oregon, my lovely neighbor to the south, has a state tax rate of 65% of Wholesale Price.

The dungpile I reside... er Washington State, has a tax rate of 95% of wholesale price and it is a crime to order in from out of state.

Enjoy your B&M's! You are fortunate to have them and their prices are likely quite good.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019

Any others ?

That last one is called Up Down Cigar on Wells street in the Old Town neighborhood. It's the second oldest pipe shop in Chicago after Iwan Ries. It's mostly cigars these days but still has a decent selection of pipes and tobacco. Worth a visit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
May have to check out Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign - live in central IL and work in Livingston county. I won't venture into Chicago anymore. Loved it when I was young but it's turned to crap now. In fact if kids were out of state and I could find employment I would be so out of this corrupt state.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.