PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
May have to check out Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign - live in central IL and work in Livingston county. I won't venture into Chicago anymore. Loved it when I was young but it's turned to crap now. In fact if kids were out of state and I could find employment I would be so out of this corrupt state.
You just got older Chicago is the same as always.

Reactions: stevecourtright

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That last one is called Up Down Cigar on Wells street in the Old Town neighborhood. It's the second oldest pipe shop in Chicago after Iwan Ries. It's mostly cigars these days but still has a decent selection of pipes and tobacco. Worth a visit.
Never heard of the place. Great tip. ?

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
For those who haven't been, Arlington is a must visit pipe shop.

As easy as it is to kick a place when it is down, I would rather roll up my sleeves and build it back up. Illinois welcomed my family when the Anglo-Irish war drove them out of their homes. Illinois has been good to my family.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
For those who haven't been, Arlington is a must visit pipe shop.

As easy as it is to kick a place when it is down, I would rather roll up my sleeves and build it back up. Illinois welcomed my family when the Anglo-Irish war drove them out of their homes. Illinois has been good to my family.
Hey I like Illinois. I like Chicago. Everywhere has problems man. Maybe just not as many as Rockford ? (kidding)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
May have to check out Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign - live in central IL and work in Livingston county. I won't venture into Chicago anymore. Loved it when I was young but it's turned to crap now. In fact if kids were out of state and I could find employment I would be so out of this corrupt state.
Where, may I ask, do you work (and live)? I grew up in that county.

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Here's my take on the big three shops in the Chicago area:

Iwan Ries is the mother of all pipe shops. There are not many shops like this left in the US. It's on Wacker drive in the heart of the Loop. It's a hassle to get to and has zero affordable parking. Nevertheless, if you're visiting Chicago and you care about pipes... this is the place to go. Huge selection of pipes and an unmatched selection of pipe tobacco. Make life easy on yourself and take the eL train or an Uber to get there.

Up Down Cigar has a lot of character for its size. It's basically an upscale cigar store shoe-horned into a vintage Old Town storefront. You have to give the owner credit for making maximum use of every square inch of space available to them--it's wall to wall flashy and expensive shit. This is the place to go for Chicago north-siders with money to spend but without the hassle of traveling to Iwan Ries. Expensive Dunhill pipes, expensive cigars, expensive knobby canes... they've got it and it's expensive. Not much pipe tobacco but what they do have is going to be premium... Esoterica and Mac Baren all the way. Helpful and friendly staff who are prone to dress like it's cocktail hour. If you're the guy smoking a $50 cigar and wearing a Rolex watch, this is the place for you. On the other hand if you're more comfortable loitering around in ratty jeans and puffing on a corncob of Smoker's Pride... maybe not.

Arlington Pipe & Cigar is a great suburban shop... comfortable, welcoming, and nice large room to hang out for a smoke. Only an okay selection of pipes but the pipe tobacco is the star of the show here... they've got a great selection of tins for sale. This is place is second only to Iwan Ries as far as tobacco selection. You can be the guy with the Rolex or the guy with the ratty jeans and the corncob; whatever way you show up, they'll treat you well.

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
Where, may I ask, do you work (and live)? I grew up in that county.
Grew up in Odell Illinois, just north of Pontiac on Route 66, the old original 66 ran through town. Live in Woodford county now out in the country East of Peoria and North of Bloominton. Work is an 80 mile round trip to various locations in Livingston County, mostly Pontiac.

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
You just got older Chicago is the same as always.
Respectfully disagree, Chicago is much more PC and sharply political than in the past, there was more of a live and let live attitude then. Lived there for a few years in the 80's and worked downtown and it's not the same anymore.

Reactions: scloyd and BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Grew up in Odell Illinois, just north of Pontiac on Route 66, the old original 66 ran through town. Live in Woodford county now out in the country East of Peoria and North of Bloominton. Work is an 80 mile round trip to various locations in Livingston County, mostly Pontiac.
Dwight was my town. Know Odell somewhat. Did you know that's where Julia Childs' parents lived before they moved to Pasadena?
And, of course Rte 66 ran through the center of Dwight, too.

Trying to figure out what your work might be! Lawyer? Banking? Medical? Consultant?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Iwan Ries is on Wabash, not Wacker. They have the largest selection of pipes I've seen and a very good store of tobaccos. Their generations-long relationships with suppliers means they will often have things other shops have trouble getting in any quantity.

There is a free, uncomfortable, windowless 'place to sit' in the store. There is also a 'premium lounge's which will cost you $15 to get into (I understand, one cannot just give away space downtown). The air handling system is such that it's cold in the lounge in winter and you will come out of there stinking like you been hot-boxing cigars in a phone booth.

Arlington actually has more tobaccos, tho fewer pipes and in a narrower price range. A much friendlier and comfortable (free!) lounge. I live a half hour train ride from either store and always go to Arlington.

Yesteryear is I think the name of the tobacconist in Carbondale. It's where I bought my very first pipe and tobacco as a college freshman at SIU. I have recently been assured it still stands, tho I have not visited since '93

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I live 30 minutes from Tinder Box Rockford and 45 minutes from Arlington Pipe & Cigar. Tinder Box for pipe cleaners and 'house blends' and Arlington if I want to shop for tins. Tinder Box seldom sells tin tobacco. I picked up an Erinmore there once.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I live 30 minutes from Tinder Box Rockford and 45 minutes from Arlington Pipe & Cigar. Tinder Box for pipe cleaners and 'house blends' and Arlington if I want to shop for tins. Tinder Box seldom sells tin tobacco. I picked up an Erinmore there once.
Most the tinder box blends are just repackaged bulk Stokkebye from what I know.

Reactions: logs

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yeah, I like their Sherlock's Choice...I don't know what it really is though. Plus the owner is a nice guy and I like to purchase something when I go in.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.