PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I recall, a few years ago, Iwan Ries claimed to have 15,000 pipes in inventory, so if you have something specific in mind, it is probably worth contacting them. Everything they have is not on their site nor in their catalog. I suspect they have many more estate pipes; online much of what they show is sold. I have been a customer for years, but though I grew up just outside Chicago, I have never been there in person because I wasn't smoking a pipe when I was living there, and when I've visited over the years I've had other events and people to see, lots of family time.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If I recall, a few years ago, Iwan Ries claimed to have 15,000 pipes in inventory, so if you have something specific in mind, it is probably worth contacting them. Everything they have is not on their site nor in their catalog. I suspect they have many more estate pipes; online much of what they show is sold. I have been a customer for years, but though I grew up just outside Chicago, I have never been there in person because I wasn't smoking a pipe when I was living there, and when I've visited over the years I've had other events and people to see, lots of family time.
They have a crap ton of pipes in the back room too. What’s out on display in the shop is a tiny fraction of what they have.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Sad fact, tobacco is cheaper online. I rarely buy online. It may cost me more, but every Friday, after work, I stroll into Arlington, grab a seat and pack a pipe. Amu, the tobacconist gives me suggestions on new tins, for I am a delicate flower who loves his aromatics but is still trying to blossom into a full fledged aficionado. Saving a few dollars here and there is great, but I wouldn't want Arlington to go the way of the Photomat.

PS
Lucky?
Call me, I want to talk about a custom tobacco/pipe case.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Could be, I haven't smoked a Tinderbox brand blend since the early 90's. I used to buy tins of better blends from the one in Gainesville FL though. I had my infamous Frog Morton episode there

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
They have a crap ton of pipes in the back room too. What’s out on display in the shop is a tiny fraction of what they have.

Same for their tobacco tins. What you see on the shelves is just a portion of what Iwan Ries actually has. A couple years back they had a bunch of vintage Dunhill tins on the shelf. I immediately bought them all and was quite pleased to get the last tins left, only to watch the sales guy come out from the the back room with another armful of Dunhill to restock the shelf I'd just emptied.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Same for their tobacco tins. What you see on the shelves is just a portion of what Iwan Ries actually has. A couple years back they had a bunch of vintage Dunhill tins on the shelf. I immediately bought them all and was quite pleased to get the last tins left, only to watch the sales guy come out from the the back room with another armful of Dunhill to restock the shelf I'd just emptied.
They also hold back some things for stock in the store they will never list online. Last time I was there they had almost every Germain etc. (though this was 2 years ago)

Reactions: logs

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I dare someone to buy the Napoleon Dunhill pipe and tamper set that has some dirt from Waterloo inside the tamper. I think it was only 4 or 5k. ?

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
The Waterloo Anniversary pipe (200th Anniversary)? Non-catalog Dunhill pipes are never cheap.
If you can afford it, more power to you. I am trying to negotiate a new smoke room. Either a backyard studio or room conversion, so money for $1000++ pipes is just out of my range.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The Waterloo Anniversary pipe (200th Anniversary)? Non-catalog Dunhill pipes are never cheap.
If you can afford it, more power to you. I am trying to negotiate a new smoke room. Either a backyard studio or room conversion, so money for $1000++ pipes is just out of my range.
Haha I was kidding about it. 5k for a Napoleon pipe is interesting, and I’m sure someone has the disposable income for that... but it ain’t me, babe.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
It took all this conversation about B+M shops to get me out of the house on Friday. I drove along Lake Shore Drive in the sun and down to the office in the Loop to pick up a pair of shoes I haven't slipped on since March, then strolled over to get caramel corn for my better half, and then on to Iwan Ries. Happily picked up a few choice blends like "Quiet Nights." When asked how business was, I was told that it was slow, but internet sales were helping out. To clarify the record, they no longer own the building, but have a long lease that is not a burden, so that was good news. It makes a difference to get to know pipe people and be known. My wish: that we keep these places in business. I am doing my part.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I lived in Hyde Part from '85 to '90 but was not a pipe smoker then and did not visit IR or any other pipe shop. I did smoke Three Castles RYOs at the time, but have no recollection where I bought the pouches (or when I was particularly loaded, tins) though I'm sure it was somewhere in Hyde Park. Chicago was a wonderful place if you had money. Alas, I did not. Great food, great theater, and great art. I wish I could have afforded more of it. What I did have was my intellect, good friends to talk with, and the University of Chicago. I've never been as smart as I was when I was there. I'm in a much warmer and happier place now though I hope one day to return. I do miss the wonderful sweet corn that you could buy from unattended farm stands on the honor system. Take the produce and leave some money in the tin. The Sunday drives into the country in the summer were quite memorable. We could even go see trees in Wisconsin! Ah, youthful memories . . .

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
It took all this conversation about B+M shops to get me out of the house on Friday. I drove along Lake Shore Drive in the sun and down to the office in the Loop to pick up a pair of shoes I haven't slipped on since March, then strolled over to get caramel corn for my better half, and then on to Iwan Ries. Happily picked up a few choice blends like "Quiet Nights." When asked how business was, I was told that it was slow, but internet sales were helping out. To clarify the record, they no longer own the building, but have a long lease that is not a burden, so that was good news. It makes a difference to get to know pipe people and be known. My wish: that we keep these places in business. I am doing my part.
Makes me feel good that I just picked up some St. James Flake from IR, after forgetting that I had bought a bunch from elsewhere.

Last edited:

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I lived in Hyde Part from '85 to '90 but was not a pipe smoker then and did not visit IR or any other pipe shop. I did smoke Three Castles RYOs at the time, but have no recollection where I bought the pouches (or when I was particularly loaded, tins) though I'm sure it was somewhere in Hyde Park. .
I was a UC student a couple years after you. In the 90's I used to buy cigars and pipe tobacco from Big Jim's Pipe and Tobacco Shop on 53rd street in Hyde Park; a tiny store under the Metra tracks.

He sold his own brand of pipes. I still have one of his pipes, the "Hyde Parker" (basically a standard Canadian with his imprint on it). Lots of fond memories of that time.

Big Jim:

apf7-00408r.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mingc and BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Is that where you got the two pipes I fixed?

Wait are you Tim??
If so, yes, the Canadian you replaced the stem on was from Big Jim's. (The Meerschaum is a much later vintage... not sure where I bought it). Thanks for your work! I love that I can smoke that old Canadian again.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I was a UC student a couple years after you. In the 90's I used to buy cigars and pipe tobacco from Big Jim's Pipe and Tobacco Shop on 53rd street in Hyde Park; a tiny store under the Metra tracks.

He sold his own brand of pipes. I still have one of his pipes, the "Hyde Parker" (basically a standard Canadian with his imprint on it). Lots of fond memories of that time.

Big Jim:

View attachment 62115
Man, Big Jim's just doesn't ring a bell. I remember well Valois and the beer shop on the other side of 53rd a block or two west, but not Big Jim's. I must have bought the Three Castles from somewhere though!

Reactions: logs and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.