PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Brian, I love Nietzsche And his perspective on life and philosophy.

“He who has a why, ,can bear with almost any how.”
-Nietzsche
I'm not really into Nietzsche's overall perspective on things, but he is in some ways interesting and fascinating...and I especially love that particular quote from him.

There was a member here name of Deathmetal who was very much a Nietzsche devotee, and he too was quite interesting at times, but ended up getting himself banished.

Reactions: Bengel

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“Whether in actual fact the policy of the boot-on-the-face can go on indefinitely seems doubtful. My own belief is that the ruling oligarchy will find less arduous and wasteful ways of governing and of satisfying its lust for power, and these ways will resemble those which I described in Brave New World. Within the next generation I believe that the world’s rulers will discover that infant conditioning and narco-hypnosis are more efficient, as instruments of government, than clubs and prisons, and that the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience.”
– Aldous Huxley – Letter to George Orwell about 1984 in 1949

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution” ― Aldous Huxley

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm currently reading a 1657 copy of William Camden's 'Remaines Concerning Britain' (first published in 1605) which was a companion book to his earlier 'Britannia'.

There is a whole chapter of proverbs of the period and here a few of my favourires...

A close[d] mouth catches no flies.
Agree, for the law is costly.
A friend in Court is worth a penny in the purse.
A good Jack maketh a good Gill.
A grunting horse and a groaning wife never fails their Master.
All is not gold that glisters.
A little pot is soone hot.
As the old cock croweth, so the young followeth.
A curst dog must be tyed short.
As welcome as water into a ship.
A muffled Cat was never [a] good mouser.

....and that is just letter 'A'.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: gamzultovah

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else.”

~ H.L. Mencken

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone.

It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

President Dwight David Eisenhower 1953

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
"strange things are happening like never before" strange things alright -- strange things like courage becoming befuddled & nonfundamental, evil charlatans masquerading in pullover vests & tuxedos talking gobbledygook, monstrous pompous superficial pageantry parading down lonely streets on limited access highways. strange things indeed -- irrationalist bimbos & bozos, the stuff of legend, coming in from left field -- infamy on the landscape -- "pray to the Good Lord" hit the light switch!
Bob Dylan World Gone Wrong - liner notes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
“By the way, Liz and I are not courageous. There’s no strength in this. We’re just surrounded by cowards. And then in complete contrast to cowardism, it looks like courage when it’s just your bare duty.”

Former Congressman Adam Kinzinger

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this administration, will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We -- even we here -- hold the power, and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free -- honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just -- a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless.

Abraham Lincoln 1862