Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl

• Love
Reactions: brian64

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
"The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses."

“The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.”

--Vladimir Lenin
Apparently, despite Reagan's quote, Lenin never actually said that.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Apparently, despite Reagan's quote, Lenin never actually said that.
Interesting. Do you have anything authoritative or meaningful to cite demonstrating that he did not say it?

All I know is those two quotes are widely reported as Lenin quotes. And I don't know for sure what Reagan reference you're referring to, but as far as I can tell it was a paraphrase he apparently attributed to Lenin that was really not even close to those particular quotes.

Anyway, those statements describe methods tyranny typically employs, so it doesn't seem a stretch to me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Bertrand Russell in The Scientific Outlook (1931):

“The scientific rulers will provide one kind of education for ordinary men and women and another for those who are to become holders of scientific power. Ordinary men and women will be expected to be docile, industrious, punctual, thoughtless and contented. Of these qualities, probably contentment will be considered the most important all the boys and girls will learn from an early age to be what is called “cooperative” i.e.: to do exactly what everybody else is doing. Initiative will be discouraged in these children, and insubordination, without being punished will be scientifically trained out of them”.

Reactions: TheWhale13

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Interesting. Do you have anything authoritative or meaningful to cite demonstrating that he did not say it?

All I know is those two quotes are widely reported as Lenin quotes. And I don't know for sure what Reagan reference you're referring to, but as far as I can tell it was a paraphrase he apparently attributed to Lenin that was really not even close to those particular quotes.

Anyway, those statements describe methods tyranny typically employs, so it doesn't seem a stretch to me.
Fake Quote Files: V.I. Lenin on Inflation and Taxation – The Skeptical Libertarian

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
In response to this, I have seen the same quote attributed to Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain and Winston Churchill, to wit - Golf is a good walk spoilt.

As far as my limited research capabilities go, it seems it was Mark Twain who created it but it does make you wonder how many quotes are attributed to the wrong person or if the quote was actually ever quoted in the first place?

With the advent of modern recording methods this might help with the recording of who actually said what when?

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you...that was a good piece...and I really liked this Keynes reference it contains:

Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.

… Lenin was certainly right. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose.

- John Maynard Keynes

And I'm not familiar with that blog but I love the title "Skeptical Libertarian".

And I hereby agree with you, and here is my official statement of correction/retraction of my lazily posted quotes: The above alleged Lenin quotes I posted, although widely attributed to him, appear to have no original source to cite, so he probably never said them (but he should have).

Reactions: Bengel

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
One of my favorites is from Man’s Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl:

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the last of the human freedoms: to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”