PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
I know best practice is to go slow and easy, however, sometimes i only have a few minutes to get some puffs in... could anyone recommend tobaccos that you can really put the hammer down and puff away without getting torched? Maintaining flavor while being quick puffed would be an important factor as well. thanks!

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I agree with Cosmic, but this wild idea for quick smokes:
Kiseru pipe and shag cut?
I've heard the term "one hitter" regarding pipes... I'm not sure about the details.

My comments are more about the pipe than the tobacco, but the pattern is smoking via small diameter bowls with fine tobacco cuts for quick burns.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I know best practice is to go slow and easy, however, sometimes i only have a few minutes to get some puffs in... could anyone recommend tobaccos that you can really put the hammer down and puff away without getting torched? Maintaining flavor while being quick puffed would be an important factor as well. thanks!
Any American codger blend.

Wartime Prince Albert advertisement

3DF66FB5-7B18-4F10-B73A-5CE72C8BF61C.jpeg

When it comes to making tasty, quick, cheap, satisfying things that are bad for you, you’ll have to look long and hard for brands better than Boone’s Farm, King Edward, Jim Beam, Stag, Camel, Red Man, Skoal, and Prince Albert.

My personal quick favorite is Carter Hall.

Back in highschool had a job at medical equipment assembly line. Winston was the choice smoke. I was the only one smoking Marlboro. Then again, most everyone at school smoked Camel or Kool. Yes. Our HS had smoking court. Was very civilized.
When I started, everyone wanted Marlboro Reds... you know, cowboy killers. Then in grad school, Camel started doing those Camel Bucks and giving away free smoker stuff... so we all went Camel Lights. Also, because the Reds all made us develop a cough, and Camel Lights seemed healthier, ha ha.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
Back in highschool had a job at medical equipment assembly line. Winston was the choice smoke. I was the only one smoking Marlboro. Then again, most everyone at school smoked Camel or Kool. Yes. Our HS had smoking court. Was very civilized.
My highschool was the same way. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, but I liked Camel unfiltered back then. I think they're over $10 a pack now.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
As former cigarettes addict I know the urge to have a short smoke very well.

I’ve got several small to medium bowls to fit in the scenario.

One is a MM Short Stop really small bowl smoked fast up from five to ten minutes. I load it with any tobacco that does not bite even when puffed like choo- choo- train. Here I loaded it with some rope from Samuel Gawith black xx.

B6BBD1DC-6212-4EAC-8747-CC10461439A7.jpeg

Another way is to follow the Delayed Gratification Concept, described here:

In short you smoke a bowl only part wise.

One of the differences between smoking pipes and cigarettes is that it takes a long while for the nicotine to be absorbed through your small blood vessels of your gums and sinuses. You do take in way more nicotine, but just over a longer period of time. Smoking for a few minutes will give you nothing, unless you are inhailing. And, if that is the case, just smoke cigarettes. Inhaling pipe tobacco just seems to go against God and nature.

Give me an hour with my pipe, no interruptions, just relaxing into my pipe. If I only have five or ten minutes... I'll just wait till later.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
How many minutes is a few? I can enjoy a small bowl or part of one for 15-20 minutes without worrying about "pace" or feeling rushed. Less than that, I honestly wouldn't bother.

Edit: for those times I choose a 15-20 minute experience, I don't choose tobacco any differently just because of the time.

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
I agree with Cosmic, but this wild idea for quick smokes:
Kiseru pipe and shag cut?
I've heard the term "one hitter" regarding pipes... I'm not sure about the details.

My comments are more about the pipe than the tobacco, but I read some articles regarding quick smokes via small bowls with fine tobacco cuts for quick burns.

How many minutes is a few? I can enjoy a small bowl or part of one for 15-20 minutes without worrying about "pace" or feeling rushed. Less than that, I honestly wouldn't bother.

Edit: for those times I choose a 15-20 minute experience, I don't choose tobacco any differently just because of the time.
Usually talking 10 minutes. I did a half normal sized bowl of CBRM and didn't have any issues... I was straight puffin. Probably will try Velvet next.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Usually talking 10 minutes. I did a half normal sized bowl of CBRM and didn't have any issues... I was straight puffin. Probably will try Velvet next.
Kind of the generic answer then - if it works and you enjoy it, do it!. Anything well dried and crispy should give you a quick and heady bonfire for 10 minutes! I'd just leave some burley on the counter for a day or two, put it in a baggie and take a "dip" for the pipe when needed.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
No no no.

The answer you are looking for lies within the D&R line of tobaccos.

Ryback regular is one of my favorites if you like dark fired.

But they ALL come crispy dry. A full bowl of C&D Briar fox in my meerschaum takes 55 minutes. A bowl of Ryback is roughly 15 minutes.
Ramback’s good too, but I’m having trouble finding it lately