PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I had to go with Decatur pipe polish from Pipesandcigars.com ... arrived in two days. It claims to be similar to Paragon formula.
I’d like to hear about the differences between them if anyone has used all three. Decatur, Paragon and Halcyon II.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I had to go with Decatur pipe polish from Pipesandcigars.com ... arrived in two days. It claims to be similar to Paragon formula.
I’m going to have a go with that And see if I can get some. I’m wondering as you mentioned if there’s not a bunch of products that are similar to Paragon and Halcyon II, and there just named differently. There appears to be a shortage at almost all the etailor Guys. Smoking Pipes is out, Fine pipes don’t answer, 4 Noggins out too. Maybe Sam supplies all these folks. Renaissance and Conservators (Canadian) version are available. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a dremel. Paragon sourcing is slim as GH tobacco ;)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I’m going to have a go with that And see if I can get some. I’m wondering as you mentioned if there’s not a bunch of products that are similar to Paragon and Halcyon II, and there just named differently. There appears to be a shortage at almost all the etailor Guys. Smoking Pipes is out, Fine pipes don’t answer, 4 Noggins out too. Maybe Sam supplies all these folks. Renaissance and Conservators (Canadian) version are available. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a dremel. Paragon sourcing is slim as GH tobacco ;)
It would appear from ebay comments that he recently moved and may not have unpacked his shop yet; ebay refunded my money so I went with Decatur. Frankly, I think a little mineral oil does the same thing but if you want shine you have to go with some kind of wax.

Reactions: woodrow

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I’d like to hear about the differences between them if anyone has used all three. Decatur, Paragon and Halcyon II.
There is a youtube video comparing Paragon and Halycon II. I've only used Decatur and its a very soft wax. It does a nice job but did darken the pipe one shade darker. You only need a tiny bit so the 2 ounce jar will last a long time. I've also used the Burts Bees Beeswax chapstick and it also shines a pipe but wears off quickly without effecting pipe or color. Clear mineral oil (food grade) does a nice cleaning and refreshing job too. I thought I needed wax to replace some varnish I removed so I bought Decatur. It does a nice job on smooth pipes and I used the cloth afterwards to freshen up some rusticated pipes which I did not put wax directly on.

Reactions: woodrow and Salvaje

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
A jeweler's cloth.
I second the jeweler's cloth, which is essentially a slightly abrasive cloth, a little stiff with sizing, and a softer cloth for further buffing. Polish and wax are okay, but they can leave a residue, and I'd use them less often or not at all.
Do either of you have a recommendation for a cloth? Anything that you've tried that works better than another? I see that SP has Savinelli polishing cloths, but is it just a more expensive version of a generic brand you can get?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I have a Stanwell Beachwood pipe that has no finish. Does anyone know if I should use any paragon or just leave it age naturally?

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
There is a youtube video comparing Paragon and Halycon II. I've only used Decatur and its a very soft wax. It does a nice job but did darken the pipe one shade darker. You only need a tiny bit so the 2 ounce jar will last a long time. I've also used the Burts Bees Beeswax chapstick and it also shines a pipe but wears off quickly without effecting pipe or color. Clear mineral oil (food grade) does a nice cleaning and refreshing job too. I thought I needed wax to replace some varnish I removed so I bought Decatur. It does a nice job on smooth pipes and I used the cloth afterwards to freshen up some rusticated pipes which I did not put wax directly on.
Good point on Decatur. Sometimes you want a polish that is just neutral and doesn’t change the color. Mineral oil darkens are well. Quite a bit actually. I’ve used it to darken some briars that were really light. Ive done some more reading in older threads, and it seems that Kiwi neutral shoe polish is a good replacement for Paragon. Not a lot of odour. Years ago I used beeswax only. Had a brush and rubbed a hunk of wax on it and buffed. It did the trick for protection.
As a previous poster mentioned Johnson Simonize and I think it’s a good point.
All these products have to pass the sniff test for me. Anything with a heavy petroleum smell I’ll take a hard pass. I’ll try some Kiwi until it’s up on eBay again.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Good point on Decatur. Sometimes you want a polish that is just neutral and doesn’t change the color. Mineral oil darkens are well. Quite a bit actually. I’ve used it to darken some briars that were really light. Ive done some more reading in older threads, and it seems that Kiwi neutral shoe polish is a good replacement for Paragon. Not a lot of odour. Years ago I used beeswax only. Had a brush and rubbed a hunk of wax on it and buffed. It did the trick for protection.
As a previous poster mentioned Johnson Simonize and I think it’s a good point.
All these products have to pass the sniff test for me. Anything with a heavy petroleum smell I’ll take a hard pass. I’ll try some Kiwi until it’s up on eBay again.
It worked on my smooth pipes but not on the pipe for which I bought it. I have a pipe that I removed the varnish on as it bubbled from heat --- turns out the briar is so porous that the heat pours out of the grain and melts the wax so for now I am leaving it raw as it smokes cooler that way. But it has striations of part waxed part not waxed. I have to find something that will work or just leave it as is. I don't mind the look and non-pipers wouldn't notice but pipers would. In all other respects its actually a great pipe and good looking with nice grain. Decatur didn't darken the pipe that much ... I just noticed it was a slight shade darker ... it lightens over time and use as it goes matte again. I don't want to mislead you on it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those are great for many applications but if I recall correctly its not for gold plate which it might remove if its cheap. --- there is a warning on the package i believe --- or at least on the brand I bought. Also it is actually coated with some dry type polish - its not just cloth.
Yes, one side has a polish, the other a wax.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
No matter, it works admirably on both smooth and sandblasted/rusticated pipes.
Polish out with a lint free cotton/woollen cloth. Easy as pie ..
Lasts longer than carnauba wax and is more warmth restistant than Paragon .
No fingerprints etc.
Excellent; that's what I am hoping for; this particular pipe is very porous at the top, not bad if you only load 2/3rds of a bowl but still requires sipping rather than smoking to avoid massive heat transfer.